Thoughts on last night's game

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is what I got out of last nights game, last week there was a thread for posting your thoughts that had many good observations, I would like this thread to be the same for last nights game without it being hi-jacked and taken over by those who argue just for arguments sake.

01. Jon Ryan needs to learn how to punt from deep in his own territory. His first punt was not good, last week he dropped the one in the end zone. The rest of the night he was a lot better.

02. Ahman Green –had a couple of good runs, more importantly he took some good shots and got up from them, he will need to play a little more then usual Friday to be ready for opening day.

03. Brett looked good when running the hurry up offense, I liked the fact that even though the Pack was getting blown out, it seemed like they were still working on different phases of the game plan instead of just throwing the playbook out the window and letting Brett fire the ball all over the field.

04. The receivers dropped way to many passes, I am hoping it was just one of those nights, better it happens in pre-season, There was a Gardner sighting tonight, which is a positive since Ferguson was a nowhere to be seen.

05. Jennings had a good punt return, and a couple of good catches, the more touches he gets the better for The Pack. Hopefully he will be the Punt Returner, because after Woodson’s showing last night, he(Woodson)needs to concentrate on pass defending and tackling.

06. Carson Palmer was at his best last night, the receptions the Bengals made did not bother me near as much as the YAC. Hopefully Charles Woodson is in pre-season mode, if not TT spent way too much on him. Al Harris shut down Chad Johnson, that was a plus. There were plenty of other missed tackles last night, the db’s need to improve!!!

07. Cullen Jenkins had a good game, the run defense looked good most of the night, we still need to figure a way to get more pressure on the qb in passing situations.

To sum this all up, The Packers for the most part were man-handled last night, they got off to a bad start and the trouble just seemed to snowball, but there were still some positive things that could be found. You just have to look for them.
You’re never as good as you look at times and you’re never as bad as you look, this is a young team, hopefully they are fast learners, I still say we compete for the NFC North title and a play-off spot this year.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a big fan but it might be time to panic. I didn't see one player stand out positively other than Harris. Woodson looked like a rookie. Our retooled linebackers were easily vacated out of the middle of the field and our front line was checked.

Aaron Rodgers reverted to last year's form and most of the pressures on our QB's came from receivers not getting separation - also like last year. I'd be looking to swing a deal with Deion Branch about now. It would have been a better solution than Woodson.

It's going to be a long year but I'll be watching nonetheless.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts on last night's game ... overall the Pack looked God-awful.

The new zone blocking scheme was a curious thing to watch. Early in the game, when Brett dropped the ball, Cincy Safety Dexter Jackson was in the backfield before the ball even touched the ground. Don't know what zone Jackson ran through, but GB didn't have a blocker there.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to chalk this up to poor starting of the game. The momemtum swung to the Bengals very quickly, with Leach bumping Favre and the fumble which led to a Bengals TD. Then the INT came with Favre throwing the ball to Driver, who didn't catch it and it was picked,. That led to a field goal. At least I hope it was just momemtum, b/c we got whipped. OUr OL could pass block the four down linemen. The benagls rarely bllitzed b/c there four down linmen got alot of pressure on Favre. The 5 OL men MUST be able to block the four DL men. They couldn't. Our running game was pathetic. Woodson couldn't stop a pass, but I 'll resevre my judgement, since I dindn't know the defense. Was it a zone, peel-off, 2 deep, man-to-man, double team, safety cover, etc. But overall the defense was not good. and our special teams was awful. Ryan didn't punt well, and this was in ideal conditions in Cincy. At least Rayner made his kicks.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Usually i would say its just preseason and that it didnt matter at all. But when your first string plays over half the game and gave up so many points, it tends to scare the bones. I did see a great improvement in run defense, But the passing defense was sorry except for the shutting down of 85. I predicted early that we would go 6-10 in the season. I will be on the field or watching my tv rooting for the pack "for better or worse". I am just wondering if it will be another decade before we are superbowl bound? We have the makings for a playoff run, but what about a superbowl run?

I always tell myself "We cant go to the SB every year" :p

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
awful game...that's about it...as was said, linebackers looked like they were about 5 feet tall and 135 pounds...manhandled. Front line had some spurts, but how many times did we crowd the box w/ 8 and they'd still break a 10 yard run?!? Missed tackles is a cliche' but last night was exceptionally putrid.

Hey, only preseason though...and they can't get any worse...I assume last week wasn't just an anomoly either, so i'll try to stay positive.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
04. The receivers dropped way to many passes, I am hoping it was just one of those nights, better it happens in pre-season, There was a Gardner sighting tonight, which is a positive since Ferguson was a nowhere to be seen.

Favre never looked comfortable in the pocket. I don't think there was one time where he dropped back, looked set and fired the ball. It's like he had to scramble to some degree on each play.

Brett also needs to take a little heat off the ball. He was throwing it so hard it's no surprise some of those were not caught. On the other hand those guys should all practice together so they should be used to catching those kinds of passes.

Their defense was amazing with how fast they were getting to the ball and their ability to put pressure on the QB. That's something the Packers need to practice for. This can't be allowed to happen week in and week out.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simply put, the Pack had a losing team effort, except for Driver. Guess its something we might have to endure. Oh What to do.

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They pure and simple stunk it up. Woodson looked like he could care less what goes on. The receivers are short armed and terrified of being hit, and yes, where were the LB"s?

1-16.......first pick next year............Draft a punter .....again. :twisted:

Members online