1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Thompson's Way

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by TJV, Sep 4, 2011.

1. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Ted Thompson

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 11
  2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Very well said..I have heard or seen that quote about Ted from Mike..

If people still question his tactics on building a winner, then those may never be happy?

3. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    This post was as well written as any article I've ever read on the subject in the media.

4. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I'll admit that early on I wasn't convinced of Thompson's methods but he has made a believer out of me. I see so many other teams now trying to copy how he does things. He refuels the engine his way and it works. We have 10-12 new players on the roster that wern't there last year. Let's not forget that we have some damn good scouts too.

5. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    In Ted We Trust!

6. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    You most certainly can't argue with his success.

7. bear7625

bear7625 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I also have to admit I wasn't a TT fan early on. His methods have proven successfull! Had me a piece of that "humble pie". haha

8. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Do you know what goes really, really well with humble pie? A Super Bowl win! I'll eat many a helping of humble pie if it means we get back to the Super Bowl and win it.

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    This was very well said.

One thing that I don't see people mentioning enough about TT's way is that, TT only wants players he think can be elite players. When he doesn't think a player can be elite, he lets them go.

And that's why he prefers the draft than FA. His reasoning is that usually if a player hits FA, it's because his franchise didn't think of him as elite anymore. So even though he might be a better player than a rookie right now, the rookie might turn out to be much better in the future than this FA.

When he values rookies more than FAs, it's not only because of cost-benefit. It's because he trully believes the potential on those rookies is better than the flawed FA can bring.

10. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    DevilDon, thanks for those kind words.

11. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +1,232
    ThxJack- Well written and thanks. I always seek out your posts as they are informative, speak to a wide range of readers (from fan-experts to noobies), and have a purpose. If you don't earn income from sports writing, you should give it a go...

Back to your post: When I saw only eight OL on the roster, the first thing I thought was, "Ted must have a bunch of names in his file..." So, am agreed with your thesis- the roster is simply the 53 as it stands today. In the future- depending on the need, he will dig into the rolodex and find a name from his "extended" roster.

From his point of view, it's part of business as usual. But from our perspective, he looks like a magician pulling new talent from seemingly no where.

12. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Ted Thompson

• Like Like x 1
  13. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    This morning Wayne Larrivee said during the off season when he ran into people from the Falcons organization

14. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Here’s a link (to the column) to a good column by Pete Dougherty

• Like Like x 1
  15. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Very well said..

I agree 100% with the Ted ego issues..On this forum and others, I BEGGED for the Ted haters to show me how he had this huge ego..Never got a reasonable explanation...

I also think not having an owner has a big impact...I think Ted doesnt feel pressured to get a player on the field because the owner invested so much in a guy....Since he isnt pressured, then he wont pressure Mike..

The Pack are very unique and can do things with out a owner (Jerry Jones) putting his nose where it doesnt belong.

16. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Now that the Packers have secured HFA and their only task before the playoffs is surviving the game vs. the Lions injury-free,

• Like Like x 1
  17. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477

I have echoed that statement for a while on this forum....I wasnt trying to be a downer, but the game have to be played...

I would love nothing more than another SB win... It will cement Ted and Mike as better then Wolf and Holmgren..

I think that can be attributed to just being young and inexperienced..While right now it doesnt seem good, but this will help him learn and in the future I dont think we will have to worry about him..So once again, right now, looks like Ted has obtained someone that will be good.

We do need our o-l to play as solid as possible...However Chad coming back for the playoffs wont be a blessing...He wont be in game shape..But I am hoping that he plays vs Det, gets his legs under him and then has 2 weeks to get back in shape..

I do like the o-l you mention...That should be enough to provide Rodgers with the protection he needs,

Dont forget the drops...That was a horrible game for the WR...

I am very worried about this...Look out how the Bears just gashed our d-l and lb...The only thing that I am hanging my hat on is that Pickett wasnt in, and Hawk isnt back to form yet...I dont think Giants could out score us, Niners either...The Saints can

We still need to get some sort of pass rush, which in turn will help our secondary...No matter the outcome of this year, someone needs to step up next year to be the leader that Collins was..I am sure the coaches and Ted know how much he is missed..Does that mean Ted goes and gets a fa? Is someone on the team ready to play that role? Will Collins be back and if so, will he be the same??

http://nflsfuture.com/2011/11/15/2012-nfl-free-agent-safeties/

Masthay is becoming a GREAT asset..When was last time we had a punter that we dont worry about? Cobb is a good returner, just has to hold onto the ball

18. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +630
    A great post JV and I wholeheartedly agree that the most realistic key for the Packers to go far is a healthy OL. The signs for Clifton's return seem good at the moment, and Bulaga is due to return as well. The question is whether they can get some reps and come together as an OL for the playoffs. If the answer is yes, then the Packers have a legitimate shot to repeat.

On a down note Starks is hurt yet again. Nagging ankle injuries. I really wonder whether he's going to be able to contribute or not, or whether it's better to hand the running game over to Grant.

19. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I’m looking forward to seeing Matt Flynn today.

20. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    A Question for the near future:

21. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    What is the timing of all of this with the new CBA? Can the Packers still sign Finley and then use the tag on Flynn?

22. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +562
    Look no further than Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy if you want to know who's responsible for this great team we have. I think you guys did a great job outlining what makes this duo so great and how its powered us to our success. And I also think a lot of packer fans don't know what they have in TT. Not only has he built a built a perennial championship contender but he's built us for success YEARS down the road. How truly blessed we are :)

23. Dan115

Dan115 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    They will tag Finley.

24. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Dan Pompei wrote a pretty good piece on Ted Thompson