Thompson vs. Sherman

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a new sheriff(philosophy) in town following the roster cuts.

Young, fast, hungry people replace complacent, so-so vets.

I'm often tagged as a Sherman excuser, but I fully supported him being relieved of his GM duties and the cuts are an example.

Many of the moves are based on ridding the Packers of Sherman's free agency and draft blunders. Hunt and No-Luck are prime examples. Sherman pooped away mega-money(Hunt) and draft picks(No-Luck) and got back.....nearly nothing. Factor Joe Johnson into this as well. Sherman threw draft picks away like gum wrappers. Fortunately, B.J. Sander looks like he will work out, so that fiasco would have added to the problems.

Thompson...on the other hand...views draft picks like golden manna from heaven. Nine of 11 picks made the squad and two will start.

I'm not sure this will make the team stronger THIS YEAR. I think the early part of the season will be a little rough, but as the youngbloods work in with the vets, this team will get better. Another strong draft next year and the Packers will be contenders for years to come.

With a huge number of contracts up and the possibility of Brett retiring during the off-season, the team will look much different. But we likely won't have a bunch of overpaid whiners hanging around doing little for thier money. That is a major change from Sherman's GM days and something that is like a fresh breeze.

I like what TT is doing. I just hope the fans can bite their lips long enough for it to work out.

8-8 is the best I can see this year.

G

net said:

Young, fast, hungry people replace complacent, so-so vets.

I'm often tagged as a Sherman excuser, but I fully supported him being relieved of his GM duties and the cuts are an example.

Many of the moves are based on ridding the Packers of Sherman's free agency and draft blunders. Hunt and No-Luck are prime examples. Sherman pooped away mega-money(Hunt) and draft picks(No-Luck) and got back.....nearly nothing. Factor Joe Johnson into this as well. Sherman threw draft picks away like gum wrappers. Fortunately, B.J. Sander looks like he will work out, so that fiasco would have added to the problems.

Thompson...on the other hand...views draft picks like golden manna from heaven. Nine of 11 picks made the squad and two will start.

I'm not sure this will make the team stronger THIS YEAR. I think the early part of the season will be a little rough, but as the youngbloods work in with the vets, this team will get better. Another strong draft next year and the Packers will be contenders for years to come.

With a huge number of contracts up and the possibility of Brett retiring during the off-season, the team will look much different. But we likely won't have a bunch of overpaid whiners hanging around doing little for thier money. That is a major change from Sherman's GM days and something that is like a fresh breeze.

I like what TT is doing. I just hope the fans can bite their lips long enough for it to work out.

8-8 is the best I can see this year.

Congratulations Net, you have finally seen the light!

The posters who can think for themselves have been saying to give TT and Bates at least 2 or 3 years and they have been attacked by the hordes of Sherman butt-kissers.

Glad to see you finally smartened up.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HaHaHa...this is funny. I'm not a Sherman butt-kisser by any stretch of the imagination, but with #4 still pulling the trigger, the Packers can have a winning season THIS year. Wait and see. The nice thing is that the early schedule favors GB and they may be able to win some games despite the mistakes that some young players will make early on. (NOTE TO EVERYONE: I did say MAY be able to win some games)

I still like GB this year because the young players are playing within the team concept and are hungrier than the Trulucks and Hunts out there.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Thompson apparently wants to keep his draft choices and would prefer to build his team around his drafts. Here is the key however, if you do it this way, you better be a good evaluater of talent. I think Mike Shermans' biggest problem as GM was his inability to evaluate talent. His drafts were awful and even his choices as free agents were bad. He signed players to big money contracts that had no business making that kind of money. They have never shown that they were worth that kind of money, but it is what happens when you draft badly. When your drafts are ineffective you tend to leave the cover bare when your good players leave or retire.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Larry Tagg said:
net said:

Congratulations Net, you have finally seen the light!

The posters who can think for themselves have been saying to give TT and Bates at least 2 or 3 years and they have been attacked by the hordes of Sherman butt-kissers.

Glad to see you finally smartened up.

Chase you are like ****** -- your condescending B.S. just keeps re-emerging.

net -- a former sports writer -- knows more about football on his worst day in a drunken stupor, than you will ever know on your best day with three of friends helping you (what the Hell am I saying, you have no friends).

Congratulations on being an idiot!

net: good post, but I am not ready to concede the season. The Packers own the North Division until someone has the balls to take it from them. Looking at the competition -- I don't see it.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy to say now that Sherman made many blunders in the draft and in free agency. I gave Sherman the benefit of the doubt when he made those moves, and I was wrong. Likewise, I'm backing Thompson on the moves he's making, and I hope they turn out improving the team. Time will tell.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

G

JBlood said:
It's easy to say now that Sherman made many blunders in the draft and in free agency. I gave Sherman the benefit of the doubt when he made those moves, and I was wrong. Likewise, I'm backing Thompson on the moves he's making, and I hope they turn out improving the team. Time will tell.

You are correct to say it is hindsight for you.

There is a handfull of Packer posters who can think for themselves and they were against plenty of moves that Sherman made over the years and said so at the time. They were attacked by the hordes of Sherman butt-kissers.

It's good to see you are man enough to admit you were wrong, but don't ruin it by showing ignorance.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Larry Tagg akaChase/Steel Wheels,

I found a website that would suit you better than this one. It's called www.firemikesherman.com

Go there and vent if you would like but leave the realistic Packer fans without an agenda alone to talk Packer football. Thanks.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
HaHaHa...this is funny. I'm not a Sherman butt-kisser by any stretch of the imagination, but with #4 still pulling the trigger, the Packers can have a winning season THIS year. Wait and see. The nice thing is that the early schedule favors GB and they may be able to win some games despite the mistakes that some young players will make early on. (NOTE TO EVERYONE: I did say MAY be able to win some games)

I still like GB this year because the young players are playing within the team concept and are hungrier than the Trulucks and Hunts out there.

I am expecting an improvement in the - Bates- defence this season. Even a small one could add up to a few more wins that slipped away last year. 10-6 is realistic, IMO.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker,

You're right on with your last post. 10-6 is reachable and probably could be enough to either win the NFC North or a wild card berth. Once any team gets in the playoffs, anything can happen!

GO PACK GO!!! :chest:

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope we'll be a better team at the end of the season than we are now. If we aren't, that mean we didn't see any growth in the young defensive line or our dbacks and linebackers. Our offense always seems to take time to jell. I'm not sure why that is however. It's a veteran unit so it should be good. I'll put my money on Beightol to find us some guards who can play. I wonder if anyone has thought about moving Flanigan to guard and Wells to center.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Larry Tagg akaChase/Steel Wheels,

I found a website that would suit you better than this one. It's called www.firemikesherman.com

Go there and vent if you would like but leave the realistic Packer fans without an agenda alone to talk Packer football. Thanks.

ND,

He owns the site.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft picks since 2001, still on the team.

2001(I do believe this was Ron Wolfs last draft)
Robert Ferguson
David Martin
Players no longer here...B. Jue,J. Reynolds,T. Marshall,B. Ferraro

Javon Walker
Najeh Davenport
Aaron Kampman
Craig Nall
Players no longer here...M. Anderson, M. Houghton

Nick Barnett
Al Harris(traded our 2nd pick)
Kenny Peterson
Robert Thomas(just aquired for Chris Johnson 7th rnd pick)
Playere no longer here....H. Hillememyer,J. Lee,B. Curtain,C. Ford, S. Joshua

Ahmad Carroll
Joey Thomas
Donnell Washington
B.J. Sander
Corey Williams
Scott Wells

Jason Horton and Tony Fisher are two other players that come to mind that were brought in as ufa's and made the team.

Those of you who keep bashing Sherman as GM, he could have done a lot worse.
2002-2 starters and 2 important back-ups
2003-2 starters and 2 back-ups
2004-2 starters and 4 back ups

Most of the guys drafted in the first 3 rnds every year are either starting or backing up, The so-called busts were players taken in the later rounds as projects and never panned out.

I agree Mike Sherman needed to be replaced as GM but when you really break down each of his drafts we could have done a lot worse.

I understand that to some of you if every player drafted does not become an immediate starter that the draft is a bust, but I like to live in the real world and put my faith in the guys who have been hired to put The best team possible on the field in their opinion, then I will support that team 100 percent.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that to some of you if every player drafted does not become an immediate starter that the draft is a bust, but I like to live in the real world and put my faith in the guys who have been hired to put The best team possible on the field in their opinion, then I will support that team 100 percent.

Welcome to the real world Buckeye.

Much finger pointing going on by the other side.

Sherman's greatest failure is as a playoff coach. Other than that, he has been fine.

G

Buckeyepackfan said:
Those of you who keep bashing Sherman as GM, he could have done a lot worse. I like to live in the real world and put my faith in the guys who have been hired to put The best team possible on the field in their opinion, then I will support that team 100 percent.

It's hard to believe Sherman could have done a lot worse.

Sherman has pulled some real winners like talking Mike McKenzie into signing a Packer friendly low ball 5 year 17 mil contract with a 3.5 mil signing bonus.

Then he turns around and hands a 3rd down DE, KGB, a 7 year 37.3 mil contract with a 11 mil signing bonus and an additional 2.25 mil in guaranteed money and signs Hunt to a 6 year 25.35 mil contract with a 6 mil signing bonus.

Can it get any worse. The Packers lost Mike McKenzie.

What about Joe Johnson and Hardy Nickerson? They were brilliant deals.

C'mon Buckeye, open your eyes. Don't be afraid to think for yourself.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Larry Tagg, Mr. negatitvity and the best damn Monday morning qb I have ever met. Where is Mike M. now? Did he get his big money contract? Did he help his new team to the Supebowl? All he did was screw his fellow teamates in Green Bay by not living up to his word and playing under a contract he freely signed. Did I not say that I agree that Mike S. needed to be replaced as GM.

Larry I hope someday that I am as perfect as you and can wake up every morning, look back at yesterday and see that everything I did was perfect.

I don't even know why I am reponding to you, it is only a matter of time that you make a complete fool of yourself, lose contol and get banned.

Hopefully that will be soon and you can go back to your whiny, loser world you come from.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you buckeye. Any person that needs to create user name after user name b/c he gets kicked off of forums has to be a complete loser. It's just a matter of time. The fact is, I don't even believe he's a Packer fan. He just wants to rile up feathers with every post. If you don't totally support everything MS does, he still finds a way to call you a MS butt-kisser. It's unbelievable. :comp:

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Any person that needs to create user name after user name b/c he gets kicked off of forums has to be a complete loser. It's just a matter of time. The fact is, I don't even believe he's a Packer fan. He just wants to rile up feathers with every post.

He is nothing but a garden-variety internet troll. The best solution for dealing with trolls is to simply ignore them. Once they no longer recieve the attention they so desperately crave, they generally move on to another forum more receptive of their behaviour. Such individuals find disrupting forums a way to compensate for the complete lack of social interaction in their real life, and a way to "get back" at the cliques that want nothing to do with them otherwise (in this case, our troll percieves the clique as the "Sherman butt-kissers"). Truly a sad and utterly pathetic state of affairs. If we all just hit the ignore button, our resident troll will disappear into the shadows, much like a cockroach does when you shine a light on it.

On a different note, let's all get ready for the Pack to take the NFC North for the fourth consecutive year, and possibly the NFC Championship and Super Bowl!

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear Guest:

I saw the light a long time ago. I saw that Mike Sherman was a pretty good coach...hence the second fastest to 50 wins in the league. Unlike you, who apparently can't add and subtract.

It became clear that both jobs were too much for one man to handle, given the way the Packers structure the organization. So Bob Harlan gave Sherman the job he does best. I didn't see the light...as much as you simply fail to.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net......in the words of that ********* Lee Corso....."not so fast my friend". The Packers will once again win the division and compete for the Super Bowl. Every GM makes bad choices. Look at Andy Reid. He just cut another #1 pick in Cory Simon....remember his #1 the year after Simon... Freddie Mitchell? Anyone can pick on personnel mistakes, believe me TT will make his share of them. We need to look at the big picture and Sherman kept this team in contention for years as the GM/Coach.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
I agree with you buckeye. Any person that needs to create user name after user name b/c he gets kicked off of forums has to be a complete loser. It's just a matter of time. The fact is, I don't even believe he's a Packer fan. He just wants to rile up feathers with every post. If you don't totally support everything MS does, he still finds a way to call you a MS butt-kisser. It's unbelievable. :comp:

ND,

Does he not remind you of somebody's mother-in-law?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here's a newsflash for y'all....

Sherman SUCKS...as a HC and GM....

DePack said..

"We need to look at the big picture and Sherman kept this team in contention for years as the GM/Coach."

Noooo...Favre kept this team in contention for years...Sherman has just been along for the ride...I can't believe you guys can't see how HORRIBLE this guy is as a coach and decision maker...jeez...look at the coaches he surrounds himself with...

Favre brings this team to the playoffs every year and when the competition is better in the playoffs...Favre can't overcome the inadequacies surrounding him and the play calls and coach decisions in these crucial games....

therefore he tries to win the games by himself (because he pretty much has too..he's not getting too much help from his coaches and teammates)..and the Pack loses...because no one person can win it by himself in these games...

He doesn't have the talent surrounding him in the playoffs...that goes for players and coaches...when the competition is BETTER!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Sherman SUCKS...as a HC and GM....

DePack said..

"We need to look at the big picture and Sherman kept this team in contention for years as the GM/Coach."

Noooo...Favre kept this team in contention for years...Sherman has just been along for the ride...I can't believe you guys can't see how HORRIBLE this guy is as a coach and decision maker...jeez...look at the coaches he surrounds himself with...

Favre brings this team to the playoffs every year and when the competition is better in the playoffs...Favre can't overcome the inadequacies surrounding him and the play calls and coach decisions in these crucial games....

therefore he tries to win the games by himself (because he pretty much has too..he's not getting too much help from his coaches and teammates)..and the Pack loses...because no one person can win it by himself in these games...

He doesn't have the talent surrounding him in the playoffs...that goes for players and coaches...when the competition is BETTER!

Sherman SUCKS...

66.....Do you want that engraved on your tombstone? You need to learn how to enjoy Life man. I really respect your knowledge of the game, but your hate for Sherman has jaded you. Unlike Larry Tag, who is just a complete idiot, you are a true Packer fan who needs to get over this hate thing and enjoy the game.

From reading your posts I know you have been a lifelong Packer fan, Sherman has kept this team a winning team throughout his tenore. Remember the 70's?, the 80's?

You know as well as I do that if Sherman doesn't win and go far into the playoffs this year there is a good chance he won't be back next year. So what do you do root for the Packers to win and keep hating Sherman or hope The Pack has a losing season so you can finally say to everyone"See I told you so"?

I suggest you try giving Mike Sherman"The HC" a chance, you might find that you will enjoy the season more.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
buckeye....you nailed it. 66 really is a knowledgable Packer fan but his hatred for Sherman really skews his posts. You are also right about him and chase. Some have accused them of being the same person but there is no way. Chase just tries to start ****. 66 is a passionate fan.....just a little jaded :wink: :wink:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ok..ok..buckeye..and depack...

point taken....i get so worked up about this Sherman guy..(he has been a burr under my saddle for a long time now..)

and...i will try and refrain from any comment on him til' the regular season starts...

(BUT..i WILL be watching him....under a microscope this year...)

It's been really frustrating to see the PAckers get close but not close enough because, in my opinion, they've been shooting themselves in the foot year after year...

But i will sit tight and wait..and hope for the best.....

(But I will be watching him...)

I want to see Favre ride into the sunset (ala Elway--whom I dislike) at the end of his career with at least one more championship...and of course to see the Pack return to "glory"...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts