Thompson ignores Favre's phonecalls

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
watch this video

The Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre are publicly remaining quiet on reports that the quarterback is reconsidering his decision to retire. But according to media reports, that doesn't mean there's no activity behind the scenes.

Favre has said little about the report that he was considering a return to the NFL, other than telling the Sun Herald of Biloxi, Miss., that "it's all rumor" and that there was "no reason" for a media frenzy. And the Packers said they had "no reaction" to ESPN's report that Favre had an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp later this month.

But WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee reported Monday that Favre sent a text message to Packers GM Ted Thompson on Saturday -- and that Thompson's reply was that he is on vacation and the two men will have to talk later.

And Sports Illustrated reported on its Web site Monday that Thompson has ignored phone calls from Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, while sending an intermediary to Mississippi to talk to Favre. According to that report, Cook is expected to request that Favre be taken off the NFL's reserve/retired list within the next 10 days.

---------------
Seriously, watch the video. Mr. Mackey says some stuff that really sucks(like Favre testing the waters, thus not publicly saying anything. Kinda cowardly if you ask me. If you want back, say so, Brett. But it's apparent he DOES care about what people think and he DOES care about his legacy, which makes KGB94SACKEM wrong...as usual)

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, lets complain about Favre not communicating with the Packers but when he tries Ted's out of town and ignore him......wait.....is GB bringing in a Free Agent?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, lets complain about Favre not communicating with the Packers but when he tries Ted's out of town and ignore him......wait.....is GB bringing in a Free Agent?

Who's saying Thompson is doing the right thing here? All I see is the article posted about Thompson sending a text too Favre that they'll talk later.

Obviously, Thompson at least owes Favre a telephone call and then after that for sure a face too face meeting. He's being sort of an *** on this one.

Stroz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think Favre want to come back, but he is afraid to use his card. The reporter in your video said, that he has upper hand, but he afraid to use that hand. All I can say is if you have an upper hand USE IT! POWER! That's what I'm talking about. I don't know why they would not want to have one of top five QB in the league, maybe because of drama.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See a few threads down titled

For heaven's sake.. make the call and lets get it over..

The reports are Ted has been not returning calls. All I'm saying is for all these people who are moaning about this being drug out and blaming Brett need to realize communication is a 2 way street.

Ted should put down his O'Douls and give Favre a few moments. If I gave my entire career to an organization and I wanted to have a little talk with my former boss, vacation or not, I would expect a simple call back, not to be ignored.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think Favre want to come back, but he is afraid to use his card. The reporter in your video said, that he has upper hand, but he afraid to use that hand. All I can say is if you have an upper hand USE IT! POWER! That's what I'm talking about. I don't know why they would not want to have one of top five QB in the league, maybe because of drama.

I would agree. I think Brett wants to come back but doesn't want to force himself on the team or someplace he is not wanted. That makes sense to me.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reports are Ted has been not returning calls. All I'm saying is for all these people who are moaning about this being drug out and blaming Brett need to realize communication is a 2 way street.

Ted should put down his O'Douls and give Favre a few moments. If I gave my entire career to an organization and I wanted to have a little talk with my former boss, vacation or not, I would expect a simple call back, not to be ignored.

I don't think you understand the difference between work and vacation.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he never wanted to retire in the first place. He was looking for a reason to stay, didn't find one and retired. I think he may have acted out of pride. I don't know the man, but there are some people who think he's masterminding some plot to bring down TT and the entire organization.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there are some people who think he's masterminding some plot to bring down TT and the entire organization.

There's no need for that, ElleBlue. Even I(the biggest critic?) don't believe that. Save the dramatics.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he never wanted to retire in the first place. He was looking for a reason to stay, didn't find one and retired. I think he may have acted out of pride. I don't know the man, but there are some people who think he's masterminding some plot to bring down TT and the entire organization.

Yeah, it's being blown out of proportion. Everything with Brett ends that way

Stroz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stroz said:

I would agree. I think Brett wants to come back but doesn't want to force himself on the team or someplace he is not wanted. That makes sense to me.

I don't know why he need an invitation to come back. He need to know he does not need a validation from the Packer organization. He need to use his cards. He got a good hand and he need to think like "it is tough. I want to come back" and not worry about inconvenience for them or what he look like in the media. He has the upper hand. Polite does not get anyone anywhere. You have to use your weapon. If he does not use his weapon, he will not get what he wants.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It shows Favre's classy. People who have power to demand things but choose not to abuse that power get my respect.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

It shows Favre's classy. People who have power to demand things but choose not to abuse that power get my respect.

you mean like people who have the power to demand their way back onto a team that has moved on with them... yep Classy.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Stroz said:

you mean like people who have the power to demand their way back onto a team that has moved on with them... yep Classy.

Yeah, real classy how the fan base has been divided and the Packers organization put in a no-win situation...

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Stroz said:

All we know for sure is he asked. If he doesn't get it, he'll probably just go with his plan A, which is driving his tractor on his property in Miss......

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Favre has a right to change his mind.
2. TT is not being rude and ignoring favres calls. He is on vacation. He probably needs to talk to people at the office before he can have a meaningfull conversation with Brett.
3. Favre is a classy guy. almost anything the Packers do will divide the Packer faithful.

TT and MM need to answer a couple of questions as to what is in the best interests of the GBP's.
1. give up on this year after getting so close last year? commiting to long term
2. Win now.

the scenerio they are probably taking the most time to figure out is how can they achieve both? Is there a way? they have time to figure it out and that is why there has been no action. Good decisions take carefull and complete due diligence on TT and the staffs part. Just as it does when any free agent is available. I have faith that TT will make the right decision regarding Brett, Aaron etc, whatever it may be.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone get the feeling that all this media controversy will persuade Brett not to come back? Like he always seemed uncomfortable in the media glare and i bet this whole circus is exactly what he didnt want.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone get the feeling that all this media controversy will persuade Brett not to come back? Like he always seemed uncomfortable in the media glare and i bet this whole circus is exactly what he didnt want.

unfortunately, i think its the complete opposite.

and trippster. your post is correct.

however for option 1. IMO i dont think its a situation where we give up on this season and commit to the long term. .

I honestly think that management and the coaching staff think we will be a great football team this year regardless of who is at the QB helm between Rodgers and Favre.

but i get the general point your making and i would say its correct.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Tiger said:

unfortunately, i think its the complete opposite.

Is it Favre or is it his agent.. alot of this seems like all revolved around his agent and his monetary motives..

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When one is on vacation, usually the last thing one wants to talk about is work.

We'll wait for TT to get back.

Pack93z

Reaction score
When one is on vacation, usually the last thing one wants to talk about is work.

We'll wait for TT to get back.

If I am on vacation and a domain controller at work goes down, you sure in the hell know that I am getting a phone call. I would think it wouldn't be to much to ask the head man on a Billion dollar franchise to make a call to his HOF QB that is still on the roster.. albeit a inactive member, but a member non the less.

That is if that portion of the story is true.. Buss Cook whinning some more in MS leads me to believe that it has some validity.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
{snaps fingers} I got it!

Cut Brett Favre tomorrow morning. Give him his outright release. TT gets props for being tough.

Sign Brett Favre to a new contract tomorrow afternoon. A little less than the $12M he's scheduled to make. TT looks like a smart businessman.

Brett gets to play again. And the fans who wanted him cut and the fans who wanted him brought back are both happy!!

Whaddya think? ;)

Pack93z

Reaction score
{snaps fingers} I got it!

Cut Brett Favre tomorrow morning. Give him his outright release. TT gets props for being tough.

Sign Brett Favre to a new contract tomorrow afternoon. A little less than the $12M he's scheduled to make. TT looks like a smart businessman.

Brett gets to play again. And the fans who wanted him cut and the fans who wanted him brought back are both happy!!

Whaddya think? ;)

I like it. ;)

It also solves another fan problem, lack of free agent signings.. not much bigger signing than a future HOF QB, with almost every passing record attached to his name..

Heck.. it would cancel out all the J.Allen talk in the NFCN.. look at the whopper we landed. :lol:

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... i bet this whole circus is exactly what he didnt want.

Yeah. Actually, I thought that from the beginning. I think that's why he did what he did - just floating the idea to see how it would be received. I don't think he ever intended the media to get hold of it. A little naive, maybe, but certainly not egotistical.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. ;)

It also solves another fan problem, lack of free agent signings.. not much bigger signing than a future HOF QB, with almost every passing record attached to his name..

Heck.. it would cancel out all the J.Allen talk in the NFCN.. look at the whopper we landed. :lol:

Oh, SNAP! I didn't even consider that angle. Talk about a turning a PR nightmare into a wet dream... :rotflmao:

Members online

Latest posts