Thompson has dominated 2nd-round of draft

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Since 2005 the Packers have had average success drafting in the first round while being dominant in the second as well as extremely successful in the fourth.

Here are the numbers of Packers starts and games played for those rounds compared to the league average:

First round starts:

League: 517
Packers: 558

First round games played:

League: 646
Packers: 695

Second round starts:

League: 300
Packers: 496

Second round games played:

League: 489
Packers: 752 - 1st in NFL

In addition the Packers rank second in the league with 340 starts from fourth round picks as well as third in games played out of that group with 587.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...pson-dominates-nfl-drafts-2nd-round/82933358/

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Impressive. I'm actually surprised in our 1st round being above the average...figured be more right at average.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Impressive. I'm actually surprised in our 1st round being above the average...figured be more right at average.

Interestingly the Packers are only one of three teams in the league that have had more Pro Bowlers, two-year starters and fourth-year players drafted in the second round than in the first round during Thompson´s tenure. Four first-round Pro Bowlers are on par with the league average of 3.87.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
How does that compare based on number of picks made?
Even take that one step further...a weighted system by # of picks as well is when those picks were made. I believe the Packers have averaged the 26th pick or so in the draft in the last 10 years (pulling those #'s out of memory)....so when compared to a team who has averaged say the 10th pick, the Packers drafts may look even more impressive.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we should trade back from late 1st to 2nd round?

I just seen Pats got #41 #73 and #83 from us when we moved up for clay Mathews... That was pick #26 and #162....
I would take a early second and two good 3rds for our 1st rounder....

How the heck does new England score that. And when GB trades back when we got Nelson. Thompson gets a 4th rounder to move from #30 to #36?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I just seen Pats got #41 #73 and #83 from us when we moved up for clay Mathews... That was pick #26 and #162....

How the heck does new England score that. And when GB trades back when we got Nelson. Thompson gets a 4th rounder to move from #30 to #36?

We WANTED Clay more desperately.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

41 to 26 is a much larger jump than 36 to 30. I could could see both the Rams 2nd rounders plus a throwin late rounder.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
41 to 26 is a much larger jump than 36 to 30. I could could see both the Rams 2nd rounders plus a throwin late rounder.

With as deep as they are claiming the draft is on defense, if someone TT doesn't covet highly isn't available at #27, I would be all in favor of that kind of deal with the Rams.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We WANTED Clay more desperately.
Exactly. Although its true the jump from 41 to 26 is much larger. I think it all comes down to how desperate the team is who wants your pick.
And if a team in need of a QB comes to Thompson for his 27? Cha ching... If Lynch falls, it could be a valuable trade for us. Im sure...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

There's no way the Packers would get both second round pick from the Rams for them to move up to the 27th pick. One of their second and a third rounder is a more realistic scenario.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way the Packers would get both second round pick from the Rams for them to move up to the 27th pick. One of their second and a third rounder is a more realistic scenario.

And that is only "IF" a big "IF" happens. Even then, if TT wants two 2nd rounders....one will not be for this year's draft.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

And that is only "IF" a big "IF" happens. Even then, if TT wants two 2nd rounders....one will not be for this year's draft.

Well, the Rams just traded those two second round picks as well as their first and third round pick in 2017 to the Titans to move up from the 15th to the first overall pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, the Rams just traded those two second round picks as well as their first and third round pick in 2017 to the Titans to move up from the 15th to the first overall pick.

Wow...the Rams must really want Wentz/Goff? Just on the surface if I was a Rams fan I would be scratching my head on this deal. Cleveland fans must be wondering what it will take to finally get a franchise QB, and might have to settle for 2nd bet QB in the draft?

TRADE BY NUMBERS

Titans receive from Rams:
1st round pick (15 overall)
2nd round pick (43)
2nd round pick (45)
3rd round pick (76)
1st round pick in 2017
3rd round pick in 2017

Rams receive from Titans:
1st round pick (1 overall)
4th round pick (113)
6th round pick (177)

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This move could be what pushes Titans into relevancy in a much faster way than some already have them projecting with their young QB and other pieces. Dang. Titans needs to be rejoicing big time!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If I were a Rams fan the one item in that deal that would bother me is including their #1 for next year. That just blows me away. Granted, the Rams aren't predicted to be terrible in 2016, but an injury here or there, new city, Rookie QB.....that could turn into a pretty high pick fast.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great move for the Rams. Wentz is going to be a good QB. Titans, if I was them, I would have taken much less and moved back a few spots. Maybe they didnt have the option. This isnt a particulary deep draft and impact players will be gone after the top 5 or 7 picks. Probably a better deal for them to pick up 4 good players rather than 1 great one now that I think about it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great move for the Rams. Wentz is going to be a good QB. Titans, if I was them, I would have taken much less and moved back a few spots. Maybe they didnt have the option. This isnt a particulary deep draft and impact players will be gone after the top 5 or 7 picks. Probably a better deal for them to pick up 4 good players rather than 1 great one now that I think about it.
I agree that it's not a good draft class, but I think they can find several starter caliber players in the first few rounds, and they need them. The roster is horrid, and not much in the way of promising young talent to develop.

They will also get what will likely be a top 15 pick next year, so while I feel they should have dropped less, they probably didn't have that luxury (as you mentioned).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's not a good draft class, but I think they can find several starter caliber players in the first few rounds, and they need them. The roster is horrid, and not much in the way of promising young talent to develop.

They will also get what will likely be a top 15 pick next year, so while I feel they should have dropped less, they probably didn't have that luxury (as you mentioned).

Don't put it past the Titans to work another trade possibly this year or next if they see someone they want.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly....I think this trade could be what causes Jaylon Smith to be a Titan. With their plethora of picks, they may be the team with the luxury to gamble a 2nd rounder more than anyone else on a player that may or may not pan out as the best ILB available in what some are saying is a 3 year window or so.....if he comes back fully that is.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record. I think the Rams are crazy to start off like this! Ask yourself. What would Ted Thompson do??? He would do exactly what the new Titans GM did. Diversify your picks... Get a HOF QB at #24... lol But seriously. Rodgers can attribute much of his success to Thompson and McCarthys plan with him. 3 years behind Favre? Come on! No 1st rounders ever get that... He is lucky! 3 years of McCarthys QB school. Entire career with same coach and system. One could easily speculate that had it been Alex Smith who slipped to #24, and Rodgers was #1... Alex Smith would be a future Hall of Famer instead of Rodgers. In my honest opinion...

Look at the parallels... Its as if a rookie Ted Thompson just traded two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds to trade up and get Alex Smith..................................................................

Rams had #15 overall... Nobody ever knows if a worthy Qb would be there at #15. But you have to find out. And then give him time to develop... Get him a veteran to play behind for a year at least!

This is a recipe for disaster in LA. A RG3 type of multi year melt down.

Members online

Latest posts