1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Thompson found his perfect fit in McCarthy

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Dec 18, 2011.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    We have a thread http://www.packerforum.com/threads/mccarthys-job-of-being-a-good-coach.32026/#post-414418 on Mike as a good coach.....But that is about him and being good..

This article is strictly how Ted came to hire Mike

But this is a new article on jsonline today

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/thompson-found-his-man-in-mccarthy-iv3fap5-135806398.html

I am quoting a few parts as they stand out to me...

Few days ago on NFLN Brian Billick was asked about being a coach for Miami, KC or any other spot..He said that any coach and GM have to b a good fit personality wise..

So with Ted saying he wanted a good man makes sense when you hear Billick's statement...

Mike has no real say in players that Ted acquires?? I find that very interesting..Maybe it has changed, but I heard that safety Anthony Smith was cut because Mike didnt like his attitude??

• Like Like x 2
  2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Wow no one seen/commented on this?

3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    I'm gonna read it this afternoon. Wanted to make sure I had enough time to give it a fair read. I wonder if my opinion on it now will be different than it would have been had I read it on Saturday...

4. SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese West Coast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
    very interesting, thanks for posting! :tup:

5. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Great article. It shows how much Thompson cared about making the right decision. As Silverstein writes, he agonized over making the best choice. I like some of the quotes above, and this quote also caught my eye:
    Cynics and skeptics can say that was self-serving but IMO it’s more evidence that Thompson’s critics were/are wrong about him having a huge ego. That is not the statement of an egomaniac. I bring this up because during the Favre fiasco that was one of the charges leveled at Thompson that I thought was particularly unfair. I just didn’t see evidence of a guy with a huge ego like a Parcells or Jerry Jones. And at that time, I wanted Rodgers to start at QB instead of Favre and that of course couldn’t have been because of my big ego as Packers’ GM!

I don’t think it’s the correct characterization to say McCarthy doesn’t have any say in personnel. Certainly, as the article says, Thompson has final say, as he should. But McCarthy has input in those decisions, as do his coordinators and assistant coaches. For example, I wonder if Clay Matthews would be a Packer today had Kevin Greene not been so high on him.

John Schneider being a strong advocate for McCarthy was news to me. That’s a feather in his cap.

6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    Awesome to read a little about these guys who might as well be from another planet, as far as what we fans know of them. It's cool to see that they're real guys. Of course it's cool for me to see that Thompson mentioned praying about the decision. How nervous he was, you can feel how badly he "needs" to succeed. That's the kind of guy I want as the captain of my ship. There's a lot to be said about the desire to win, but often over-looked, IMO, are the people who refuse to fail. That's Thompson. In my mind, people who need to win are front-runners; if things get hairy, they might fold it up. Those who refuse to lose are grinders. When they get down they keep slugging. Give me that guy, every time.

7. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Thanks for posting that, I didn't see it the first time around. I think TT and MM work very well together and one of the smartest things TT did was hire MM. I enjoyed reading that, it shows what kind of GM TT is, we are lucky to have him.