Thompson cuts Rodgers, his losses

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Dylan B. Tomlinson
[email protected]

No NFL general manager likes to admit he made a mistake.

When the Green Bay Packers selected Cory Rodgers in the fourth round of April's draft, Ted Thompson thought he was getting a punt and kickoff returner who he could count on for years.

What he got was a player who couldn't field a punt.

Thompson admitted that mistake when he cut Rodgers on Saturday.

"Certainly, in terms of critiquing my job, which is to evaluate talent, certainly that was something that I wish had worked out better," Thompson said.

Rodgers struggled catching punts throughout training camp, and may have sealed his fate during Friday's preseason game, when he fumbled one punt and ran away from another after it bounced in front of him.

"It was just everything," Thompson said.

Thompson's decision to cut Rodgers was a stark contrast to what his predecessor, Mike Sherman, did in a similar situation two years ago. After a disastrous training camp in 2004, Sherman opted to keep two punters rather than cut third-round pick B.J. Sander.

Thompson wasn't willing to make the same mistake with Rodgers, despite giving him a $465,000 signing bonus in July.

It's a black mark on what looks like a strong draft. Of the 12 players Thompson selected, defensive end Dave Tollefson was the only other pick to be released.

Rodgers is the highest draft pick to fail to make the team in any capacity since defensive tackle Rollin Putzier was cut in 1988.

Only three other fourth-round picks failed to make their team's roster: Pittsburgh defensive tackle Orlen Harris, Dallas receiver Skyler Green and Carolina safety Nate Salley.

Last season, only two third-rounders, Carolina defensive end Atiyyah Ellison and Denver running back Maurice Clarett and two fourth-rounders, Kansas City receiver Craphonso Thorpe and Pittsburgh receiver Fred Gibson, failed to make their teams.

After Friday's game, Rodgers had accepted the possibility he would lose his job.

"I think I should make it, but if it doesn't happen, I'm not going to go kill myself or anything," Rodgers said. "Life goes on. If that happens, I'm sure somebody will pick me up."

Members online

Latest posts