Thomas Decoud

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

No, thanks. Not sure why his production dropped off last year either, but there´s a reason the Falcons will let him go and it´s not because of cap issues.

BTW we do have safeties of our own who can´t intercept a pass.

OP
OP
Royal Pain

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, thanks. Not sure why his production dropped off last year either, but there´s a reason the Falcons will let him go and it´s not because of cap issues.

BTW we do have safeties of our own who can´t intercept a pass.

Well, he did have 14 interceptions in the 4 years prior to 2013, so he does have the ability. Once again, not sure what happened last year. Just thought he might be up TT's alley since he probably won't cost much.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a bad idea. I'm not sure he's at the point in his career where he's ascending anymore but one bad year at 28 doesn't mean he's done.

If signed, I would probably pair him with a draft pick and let training camp sort out which of the 3 with Burnett are going to be on the field most of the time

Decoud probably isn't my "Plan A" to fix the safety problem this year, but it's certainly higher up than "bring back MD Jennings."

Last edited:

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Falcon's fan here. Decoud was REALLY bad this year. He's never been a great tackler, but his coverage skills have always been at least average. That all changed this year. Not only did he miss tackles consistently, but his coverage was awful. He honestly seemed like he wasn't even trying at times. I remember one play specifically where he covered a receiver on a seam, turned his head, saw the ball coming, and just didn't put his hands up. That being said he still might be better than Jennings...

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Falcon's fan here. Decoud was REALLY bad this year. He's never been a great tackler, but his coverage skills have always been at least average. That all changed this year. Not only did he miss tackles consistently, but his coverage was awful. He honestly seemed like he wasn't even trying at times. I remember one play specifically where he covered a receiver on a seam, turned his head, saw the ball coming, and just didn't put his hands up. That being said he still might be better than Jennings...

That's not a ringing endorsement by any stretch of the imagination

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not a ringing endorsement by any stretch of the imagination

Haha no not at all. But he has shown in the past that he can be an average to above average safety, so considering the packers' safety situation, he might be worth taking a flyer on if he comes cheap. Who knows, maybe a change of scenery will do him some good.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MD Jennings was the worse safety of all time. I mean that in all seriousness to...even Bush would have been an upgrade.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MD Jennings was the worse safety of all time. I mean that in all seriousness to...even Bush would have been an upgrade.

He was about as bad as it gets. You can literally say with confidence that he didn't make one play of note all year.. not one! No INT's, no Passes defended what in the hell was he doing out there? I think keeping him and deciding to release McMillain speaks to how BAD McMillian was also.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was about as bad as it gets. You can literally say with confidence that he didn't make one play of note all year.. not one! No INT's, no Passes defended what in the hell was he doing out there? I think keeping him and deciding to release McMillain speaks to how BAD McMillian was also.

Maybe he knew the calls and audibles...there was NOTHING else he bought to the table. The Packers have to be the 1st team in NFL history with a 188 pound safety with no instincts. Thats a big reason why if Pryor is available you take him.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When any player hits free agency you should ask yourself..why did his team let him go? Sometimes it's age, sometimes it's the price tag and in most cases, *this case* it's because they're not really that good of a player. The Falcon fan said himself.

It's possible he'd be an upgrade over what we had last year, but you gotta think we could find a better option elsewhere.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha no not at all. But he has shown in the past that he can be an average to above average safety, so considering the packers' safety situation, he might be worth taking a flyer on if he comes cheap. Who knows, maybe a change of scenery will do him some good.

Sounds a lot like Burnett. I don't think we need another one of those.

If Ted can manage to get a good safety next to MB somehow they could be alright. I think he's shown he can be an OK safety when paired with someone good...though he isn't anything special.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When any player hits free agency you should ask yourself..why did his team let him go? Sometimes it's age, sometimes it's the price tag and in most cases, *this case* it's because they're not really that good of a player. The Falcon fan said himself.

It's possible he'd be an upgrade over what we had last year, but you gotta think we could find a better option elsewhere.

He played in a Pro Bowl literally just over a year ago. I realize the Pro Bowl is flawed, but it's a pretty good indicator that he was a very solid safety in 2012.

While it's entirely possible that he just hit a wall at 27/28 and can't play anymore, it's also possible that he just had a bad season. Morgan Burnett was as bad as any safety in the league this year and I don't think too many of us think he's just a bad safety now, more just an okay safety like you said, who had a bad year.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And hes still on the market.........

I'd honestly like to see us sign him. Its apparent he'll come cheap at this point.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newsflash: According to ProFootballFocus Thomas DeCoud was worse than MD Jennings and Chris Conte. I haven't seen him play much, but I wonder how you manage to score a lower grade than these two horrible players.

No thanks!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm amazed that any safety could have possibly graded out lower than MD Jennings.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newsflash: According to ProFootballFocus Thomas DeCoud was worse than MD Jennings and Chris Conte. I haven't seen him play much, but I wonder how you manage to score a lower grade than these two horrible players.

No thanks!

Maybe the Bears will sign him to finish the trifecta of bad at safeties?!?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings must have been better than Banjo, or Banjo would have started. Therefore, Jennings could not have been the worse safety in football.

We have a few options:

1. Sign a FA now. Don't like this as I don't think anyone out there is a significant increase in talent than Jennings.
2. Draft one. Well, we have to do this regardless of if we use another option. If not Dix or Pryor, there are 5 or 6 guys that make sense in the 2nd or 3rd who could help out immediately. My preference here, Bucannon in the 2nd round.
3. Move Hyde to Safety. I think this is a great idea. With Hayward coming back, Hyde's play time will decrease at CB anyway. He is a player you want on the field as much as possible. We need to make the change during the offseason and see how he looks. Can't imagine he would have that much difficulty with the switch. There are some interesting CBs to be had in this draft after the 3rd. We would be able to find someone to occupy Hyde's old CB spot.
4. Hope Richardson kicks it in gear and looks good. He is our most athletic Safety, but he is raw. If he gets it he may a pretty good.
5. Banjo! He definitely has the right attitude, just very raw and limited physically. I think he can be a good player. Not great.
6. Pick up a FA down the road. Bound to be a veteran or two available on the final roster cutdown who can help. This can be done after we know what we got from the draft and how Hyde/Richardson/Banjo/Draft pick is looking at safety.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings must have been better than Banjo, or Banjo would have started. Therefore, Jennings could not have been the worse safety in football.

We have a few options:

1. Sign a FA now. Don't like this as I don't think anyone out there is a significant increase in talent than Jennings.
2. Draft one. Well, we have to do this regardless of if we use another option. If not Dix or Pryor, there are 5 or 6 guys that make sense in the 2nd or 3rd who could help out immediately. My preference here, Bucannon in the 2nd round.
3. Move Hyde to Safety. I think this is a great idea. With Hayward coming back, Hyde's play time will decrease at CB anyway. He is a player you want on the field as much as possible. We need to make the change during the offseason and see how he looks. Can't imagine he would have that much difficulty with the switch. There are some interesting CBs to be had in this draft after the 3rd. We would be able to find someone to occupy Hyde's old CB spot.
4. Hope Richardson kicks it in gear and looks good. He is our most athletic Safety, but he is raw. If he gets it he may a pretty good.
5. Banjo! He definitely has the right attitude, just very raw and limited physically. I think he can be a good player. Not great.
6. Pick up a FA down the road. Bound to be a veteran or two available on the final roster cutdown who can help. This can be done after we know what we got from the draft and how Hyde/Richardson/Banjo/Draft pick is looking at safety.

I think 3 or 4, or maybe 2 (I don't think Clinton-Dix will make it to 21, I don't see many other day 1 starters at safety. I'am not a big fan of Pryor).

Hyde skills fit the safety position better than the CB position. So we will see whether he can make the transition to safety easily (did play some safety in college). If he does he is the front runner for the job.

I like what we saw from Sean Richardson in limited snaps. He played decent versus both the run and the pass. He might be the outside option.

Banjo was is a solid cover safety, but he is an horrible tackler. The guy made 9 tackles and missed 5 tackles in just 189 snaps (that is worse than all starting safeties in this league). He has potential (speed, athletic ability, cover skills), but he really needs to improve his tackling if he wants to see the field more.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No thanks!

Maybe just a down year? He was a pro bowler in 2012. Hes also young.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hardly watched the Falcons this year so i have no idea why he was bad. Was it technique and just flat out sucking like MD or did he mail it in like most of the team?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the D this guy is coming from...horrible. It should be an emphatic NO. You have to wipe the Safeties on this team out, and start over. The middle of this D is horrendous. I have no idea why management is not sending Brad Jones packing.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the D this guy is coming from...horrible. It should be an emphatic NO. You have to wipe the Safeties on this team out, and start over. The middle of this D is horrendous. I have no idea why management is not sending Brad Jones packing.

Because they don't have a better option at this time. The draft may change that but right now it's Jones and Hawk as your 2014 ILB's. God help us if it stays that way!

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't Ted and the doctors just bring in Nick Collins for a thorough look-over and neck exam to see if he can play again??? I don't see why it hurts to just look into it for cripes sake.

Members online

Latest posts