This year rookie class from jsonline

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Link

Posted: Oct. 18, 2007

Green Bay - James Jones is the second-ranked receiver in the National Football League.

DeShawn Wynn and Brandon Jackson are ranked third and sixth, respectively, among the running backs. . . .

That is, among all rookies.

For the second straight year, the Green Bay Packers are the youngest team in the league and its rookie class measures up fairly well with other first-year players. If these numbers hold up, it could be a solid indication of what lies ahead.

In 2003, middle linebacker Nick Barnett led all NFL rookies with 112 tackles and now, in his fifth year, he is having a dominating season that could lead to a Pro Bowl berth.

Wynn and Jones are both among the rookie leaders at their position class this season. Could they follow the footsteps of Barnett?

So far, Wynn has been the overachiever. He was drafted 228th overall, in the seventh round, the 15th of 18 total running backs in the 2007 draft. And yet Wynn trails just Minnesota's Adrian Peterson (drafted seventh overall) and Buffalo's Marshawn Lynch (drafted 12th overall) in total rushing yards.

By scoring 24 points this season, Wynn is also ranked fourth among all NFL rookies in scoring, behind two kickers (one of them fellow rookie and teammate Mason Crosby) and Peterson (30 points).

"I knew how good Wynn was because I played against him in college," said Wynn's teammate and fellow rookie, Justin Harrell. "I knew what kind of running back he is; with him I'm real confident in our future at running backs."

Wynn was unimpressed with a recital of his statistics, however, perhaps because his team is one of the least productive rushing teams in the NFL.

"I'm just worried about winning," Wynn said.

It also may make him uncomfortable. One of the higher draft picks he's surpassed thus far is on his own team. Jackson (38 carries, 97 yards), is still the Packers' second leading running back, having started the first three games. But he has been inactive the last three with a shin injury. As the Packers top draft choice at the position - second round, 63rd overall - the starting job was his at the beginning of the season.

But with Jackson out, Vernand Morency missing action and Ryan Grant just learning the system, Wynn, who had played in just one exhibition game, sort of earned his starts and his carries by default. Now it is clear how much potential he had.

"At the beginning of the season, those young guys were the best running backs we had," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "We're very pleased with their development and we'll see how the season unfolds. We think those guys are making progress."

Wynn would probably have to get a lot more carries - he only averages 8.2 a game - to come close to the impressive rookie seasons of Joseph Addai (4.8 yards per carry average, 7 touchdowns), Maurice Jones-Drew (5.7, 13) last year or Cadillac Williams (4.1, 6) and Samkon Gado (4.1, 6) the year before.

Jones is showing up well statistically, also. Even though he was shut out for the first time this season when he was denied a reception against Washington, he has been Brett Favre's second favorite target behind Donald Driver.

"Coming out of college, one of the goals that I set for myself was to be one of the most impact rookies this year," Jones said.

Of course, the Packers rookies who are putting up big numbers have also been given the opportunity to do so, while some of their counterparts may be playing behind established veterans. Harrell, Green Bay's first round choice, hasn't been on the field for more than a few snaps in the last two games, so there's no way to compare his rookie year to other rookie defensive tackles. It doesn't mean he won't end up being a good player one day.

"I just try to look at the guys based on what we're asking them to do, the kind of effort (they give) and the kind of people they are and how they're fitting in to what we're trying to get done," Packers defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "Because that's all that really matters, really."

Packers second-year receiver Greg Jennings finished his first professional season as the third-ranked rookie with 45 receptions, behind New Orleans' Marques Colston (70) and Pittsburgh's Santonio Holmes (49). Jennings average yards per catch (14) and touchdowns (3) were right there with both Colston (14.8, 8) and Holmes (16.8, 2).

One year later? Jennings is the 58th ranked receiver overall, (14 catches, 16.3 average, 3 touchdowns). He's tied with Holmes (14, 20.4, 3). Colston (23, 9.5, 2) is tied for 29th with the Packers' Jones.

But looking strictly at that 2006 rookie class, Colston is ranked second; Holmes and Jennings are tied for fifth.

Drafted in the second round, Jennings' curiosity would sometimes get the best of him. Sure enough, he'd look up how other rookies did on game day.

"I'm not really a stat man but I was definitely curious to see the success that other rookies were having," Jennings said. "It wasn't necessarily to measure up to what I was doing. But I did look at the guys drafted higher.

"You look at those guys who went before you at your position, and obviously they feel like they're better than you, you feel like you're better than them. I'm not the type of guy that wishes anything bad on anybody, at the same time it's like hey, we all had a fair opportunity. When we're in the same atmosphere, then everything will be revealed.

"It's a matter of situation. Me, falling here in Green Bay, perfect situation. Wynn, perfect situation. It's all about the opportunity you've been given."

VS other rookies Stats

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Not taking anything away from these guys, especially the running back, but like mentioned in the article.. opportunity. Jones is a talent and probably is the exception on the Packers rookies this year.

Take example.. Harrell.. he is being called a bust because he isn't getting the opportunity with a deep rotation.

Gotta be on the field to lead in the stats..

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers_Finland said:
I think our draft picks were amazing... except for the first round, I still think we should've gotten Greg Olsen.

I haven't given up on Harrell, but its hard to ignore what Olsen has brought to the Bears in the limited action he has seen. He can't block worth a lick but can sure catch the ball!!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Olsen seemed like a natural pick for what we needed...a pass catching TE. Donald Lee, however, has picked up his game this season and Bubba appears to have regained his old form prior to his injury.

Calling Harrell a bust already is premature, in my opinion.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you don't judge a class just based on the first pick.

Overall, most of the last 3 draft classes have been quite productive, ranging from starters, role players, and special teamers. A couple busts who got the axe, sure, but overall, productive.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts