This would be wonderful for us.....

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure why pairing a running QB with a strong running game makes the Vikings better. It allows defenses to gear up against the run and treat the passing game as an afterthought.

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Vicks passing game has always been an afterthought. I like the fact that a top player on the team is making a push for a has been QB. That would make it great for us. Clay has smashed on vick many times and vick loves to over throw and cause picks. Plus, I just love watching vick struggle and lose..... it makes my day.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AP is high if he thinks that the Vikings become an instant playoff team with Vick.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Adrian Peterson wants the Vikings to sign a soon-to-be 34 year-old quarterback who hasn't won a playoff game since 2004? Deal!

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure that Vick would be intended as a starter while the Vikes get a young player (potentially first round pick) ready. Vikes will be a much better team with Vick starting and Bridgewater/Bortles backing him up rather than just starting a rookie QB.

H

HardRightEdge

The question is, "would Vick be an upgrade over Ponder?"

The answer would be "yes".

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That isn't the question, because we know the answer. The real question is whether Vick is an upgrade over Matt Cassell. If I needed a one- or two-year QB to bridge the gap until my newly drafted quarterback is ready to play, I'd take Cassell because he's proved that he can win with that team and is more of a throwing threat than Vick....and less baggage

H

HardRightEdge

That isn't the question, because we know the answer. The real question is whether Vick is an upgrade over Matt Cassell. If I needed a one- or two-year QB to bridge the gap until my newly drafted quarterback is ready to play, I'd take Cassell because he's proved that he can win with that team and is more of a throwing threat than Vick....and less baggage
Cassell is a free agent.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Norv Turner will get the best out of whoever plays QB for the Vikings. Ponder may be that guy until some replacement is acquired through the draft.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The question is, "would Vick be an upgrade over Ponder?"

The answer would be "yes".
No he is not. Ponder has a better completion percent over the last 3 years then Vick does. Vick is a has been who I pray will never wear a Vikings uniform. I would rather them sign Josh Freeman then Vick. Joe Webb has more post season starts the last three years then Vick.

D

Deleted member 6794

...and that's why I pointed it out to you. You've got the choice between two free agents, Cassell and Vick. Comparing Vick (a FA) to Ponder (already guaranteed a roster spot by Spielman) isn't appropriate.

Cassel won´t sign with the Vikings though as he voided his contract with them just a few weeks ago to become a free agent.

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Vick is a 3rd teir QB. He is a bottom of the barrel, last ditch effort, poor attempt, last cast fishing effort to come up with at least something at QB..... wont work. The last "half way" decent QB the vikes had was an already burned out Favre. They like to think that they can carry the team on the legs of AP..... sad to say that this IS a passing NFL now and without a high teir 2 or a teir one QB and decent WR's, your team aint gunna be jack ****.

H

HardRightEdge

Ponder has a 2014 dead cap number of $3.2 mil with a salary of $1.8 mil. It would cost the Vikings $1.4 mil more in cap space to release him vs. keeping him. That's not a huge consideration, but then again we're talking about the second or third string QB here so it matters. He's a lame duck; he'll be gone after 2014 when his contract is up; he'll join the ranks of journeyman backups.

Cassel is gone; Webb is a FA QB-turned-WR and they'd rather not have him back.

They might draft a QB with their #1, but he likely won't be ready. A veteran who has a shining season or two on his resume (Ponder has had none) on a short leash (short term cheap contract) would be better for the transition year than the lame duck Ponder tied to the disappointing past...a different face for the change in direction rather than same-old-same-old.

Vick might fit the bill...a cheap two year deal whereby he'd be the transitional starter who would move to backup next year. It depends on whether he'd buy into a transitional/backup roll for the balance of his career. Freeman is probably fishing for a bit more since he's fairly young, not too far removed from some decent play, and the habit in the NFL to give promising-then-failed QBs a comeback shot in a competitive situation.

Ponder, Vick, Freeman...the Vikes are not going to win anything with any of these guys. It's a question of who can (1) win a few games in the transition year, (2) be ready to stand aside and just take the paycheck when the QB of the future is ready without making a big fuss and (3) be constructive in the QB room.

I wouldn't like the lame duck in this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I for one would like to see the vikes pull the trigger and go get Vick. Nothing would make me happier than to see CM3 put him down and out.

H

HardRightEdge

I for one would like to see the vikes pull the trigger and go get Vick. Nothing would make me happier than to see CM3 put him down and out.
Nothing would make me happier than seeing the Vikes not draft a QB in the first round though I'd be surprised if they didn't.

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Vikes are in worse shape than us as far as needs. They need a good QB, they need DL, they need DB's, LB's...... gunna be a while before they make any type of run.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. That tells you more about your team than about me though. ;)
Well, it also says that you didn't read up on the subject before posting.

When Cassel voided his contract, it was widely reported as a move to force the Vikings to either commit to him as the starter (and with a new contract) or to allow him to find a starting role with another team. It was never reported as Cassel wanting to leave, just strategically working the options available to him.

The Vikings are semi-screwed because they didn't play bad enough to get a top-5 pick, and there are too many QB-needy teams ahead of them in the draft. Ponder was originally called "the most NFL ready QB" in that draft, and while that obviously wasn't true, the Vikings still reached to pick him #12 instead of the second round. Their GM, Rick Spielman, seems hesitant to make the same mistake twice and has hinted that they very well may wait until the second, third, fourth round to draft a QB. Why reach again?

That combined with a desire to nurture along whomever they draft, is the main reason for re-signing Cassel. Cassel gets to finally be the true starter, the Vikings get a decent veteran QB that they know can win games for them, and their drafted-QB-to-be will get time to learn before being thrown into the fire.

Members online

Latest posts