This team is reminding me of the 88/89 49ers

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
As far as repeating goes, I can't think of another team that actually did repeat as Super Bowl winners, and deserve the crown as the dynasty team of an era.

Looking back at history, it's easy to get lost in the 49ers book. There's many great seasons, Super Bowl victories, players, and even somethings I believe get overlooked today and not really talked about at all (15-1 in 1984 lead to Super Bowl victory).

In 1988, the 49ers struggled through their season, they battled injuries, most people thought they were out of it as key starters were getting injured, and they were losing close games. Some how they pulled through, and went 10-6 to make the playoffs, after losing close games during the regular season, and most people had already crowned the Bears as the dynasty of the NFL.

In the playoffs, they beat down Minnesota, and stunned the Chicago Bears on the road to make it to their 3rd Super Bowl, in which we all know they won.

Flash forward to 1989.
Bill Walsh retires, and leaves the keys to George Seifart.
Then the 49ers continued to dominate, shooting to a 14-2 record, where many players had break out seasons.
Joe Montana had one of the highest completion percentages of a quarterback in NFL history at 70.2%
Roger Craig had 1,000+ rushing season
Both Jerry Rice, and John Taylor had 1,000+ receiving yards, and both over 10 TD's
Defensively they were dominating with Charles Haley, and Pierce Holt's pass rushing, both leading to 10 sacks.

I'm not saying we could be better than this team, but stat wise, this is who the Packers are reminding me of. I think the 1988/1989 49ers were the greatest team to ever repeat as Super Bowl Champs, but there's such a similarity here. In 2010, the Packers finished 10-6, barely made the playoffs with a ton of starters out, finished strong, won the Super Bowl, and now are on a strong pace to repeat, as the 49ers were in that same year.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
History repeats itself.

Another similarity is that the 9ers also had a SB winning QB who did not retire from the team but went to another. No, it wasn't a rival team so that's where the similarity ends.
And then they replaced that QB with another really good one who took them to another SB victory.
And then there is the connection with Mike Holgren. Wasn't he a 9ers coach who learned the West Coast offense?
And Aaron Rodgers who was a 49ers fan, went to Cal which is in the Bay area (Kinda reaching with that one, I know) and the media was expecting him to get picked by the 9ers or felt for him that he wasn't.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
History repeats itself.

Another similarity is that the 9ers also had a SB winning QB who did not retire from the team but went to another. No, it wasn't a rival team so that's where the similarity ends.
And then they replaced that QB with another really good one who took them to another SB victory.
And then there is the connection with Mike Holgren. Wasn't he a 9ers coach who learned the West Coast offense?
And Aaron Rodgers who was a 49ers fan, went to Cal which is in the Bay area (Kinda reaching with that one, I know) and the media was expecting him to get picked by the 9ers or felt for him that he wasn't.

Mike Holmgren was offensive coordinator of these teams, yep you got that one, I forgot some things.

I really think the 49ers would have won the Super Bowl in 1990 had Montana not been injured in that game. Actually they did have that game won, and Craig fumbled, oh yeah, and a Montana fumble back then would have been called an incomplete pass thanks to the tuck rule, that also put points on the board for the Giants.

Would have loved a San Francisco/Buffalo Super Bowl, then we really would have known who was the best team in 1990,cause the Giants won that off a missed field goal.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
History repeats itself.

Yup. Holmgren taught high school in SF as well as coached the HS's football team and eventually became part of the Niner coaching staff.

Oh yeah. Berzerkley is most definitely in the bay area. It's just north of Oakland and the east end of the Bay Bridge. Here's a map of N. CA with a few land marks I noted in green.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts