This team has some major problems

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of unhappy campers wearing the green and gold these days.

Lets start first with the defense. Cullen Jenkins is very upset about his contract. The Packers don't seem to be in any hurry to extend him at this time. I don't bame Jenkins either. He is one of their best players and is having a good year. Can you imagine how he feels after seeing the Packers spending boatloads of money on Pickett, Clifton, Grant Poppinga, Chillar, Collins, Driver and Woodson? Driver and Woodson both had a few years remaining on their contracts and the Packers still gave them new contracts well into their late 30's with big pay increases.

That was stupid on the Packers part. You're telling me that a 38 year old Driver is going to be worth his contract. So the Jets give into Revis's demands means the Packers have to give Woodson a big raise even though he had 3 years remaining on his contract.

Bad business decisions. And you wonder why there's no money to sign a Peppers in free agency. Hawk has made it known that he wouldn't mind being traded elsewhere.

Things aren't any better on offense. Rodgers is upset with the play calling. Jennings, Driver, Jones and Finley all want the ball. Look at Driver's and Jenning's receiving totals so far. You think they're happy. Nelson could care less. He's a Kansas farm boy who is just ecstatic to be in the NFL. One of the reasons this offense looks out of sink is I think Rodgers is trying to not slight any of his receivers.

Finley emergence has complicated things. It's taken a lot of catches away from Driver and Jennings. While it gives Green Bay another weapon it also works to the detriment of Jennings, Jones and Driver. Don't kid yourself, these guys want the ball too. If they trade for a good running back who will need his carries than the receivers will have even less balls thrown their way.

This is why I suggested a while back that the Packers should trade either Finley or Jennings for Revis(during his holdout) or Patrick Willis. Everyone thought I was nuts. Sometimes having too many good receivers who all want their catches is not always such a good thing.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting perspective, I never thought of it that way. There is a time when you couldn't hope for too many receivers but I suppose it would also present a problem if they all start to demand equal ball time. It could cause mutiny. Lets hope if they don't get the running game up, they can at least hit up these guys and give them ball time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think the Rodgers thing is something to even worry about

The Jenkins things yeah little pissed , but we have heard this form others when it was their time and they got their money..So wait till it comes near end of season before going all nutts.

Of course the Wr want them ball I wouldnt want them NOT to, so thats a real issue? Seriously?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
As long as these guys keep winning they aren't going to be complaining. We're not talking about the mouthy TO, Ochocinco, Randy Moss types here. Finley gets mouthy at times but it is in favor of the team. We're talking about Driver and Jennings. The history of these two guys shows us they are not selfish players. I don't see a problem. Teams go the whole way to the Super Bowl with multiple talented receivers who don't complain about who gets the most catches. This group is no different. Just because there are several very good guys out there, doesn't mean they are disenchanted. In fact, it seems they are feeding off of each other.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think these kind of accusations need sources, bob.

I don't see it, haven't heard any reports about it, and actually doubt it.

About Peppers and Driver's contract, could not disagree more. You reward your own performers. Driver has been great so far. No he won't play till he's 40, but he will retire a happy Packer, the fanbase will be estatic, and it will pay in PR. It's not all about what happens on the field.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
As long as these guys keep winning they aren't going to be complaining. We're not talking about the mouthy TO, Ochocinco, Randy Moss types here. Finley gets mouthy at times but it is in favor of the team. We're talking about Driver and Jennings. The history of these two guys shows us they are not selfish players. I don't see a problem. Teams go the whole way to the Super Bowl with multiple talented receivers who don't complain about who gets the most catches. This group is no different. Just because there are several very good guys out there, doesn't mean they are disenchanted. In fact, it seems they are feeding off of each other.
Wise soul! ^^^^^^

I really hope this team doesn't turn in to 22 divas. They seem to all have good heads screwed on to their shoulders though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Jennings and Driver and unselfish players...I dont see them complaining

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we should just draft T.O., that would really get them wagging. We'll probably get all the way to the SB, or at least the NFC Championship, but then, when it inevitably self destructs, we can just blame the whole thing on Aaron Rogers.

INpackfan66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Of course WR's want catches, of course RB's want carries, QB's want more say in how the offense operates, and it seems someone always wants more money! But having said all that leads me to this......."Don't they all want to win as a team more than any of these individual concerns?" If the answer is no, then the "team" has a huge problem on their hands! I know it sounds corny, but there really is no "I" in team. Personal concerns should, and need to be, secondary to the needs of the team! Let's hope that decisions are made soon to shore up areas of weakness that the first 4 games have shown. And let's hope the team begins to operate at the highest levels possible!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We should have a "Speculation, rumors and other BS about the Packers" section on here.
(OK. I'm half joking.)

We already have a "Talk negative about the Packers" called the smack section. Unfortunately negative things, such as the post gets put in here instead of smack.

Keep it real.
Keep it positive.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should have a "Speculation, rumors and other BS about the Packers" section on here.
(OK. I'm half joking.)

We already have a "Talk negative about the Packers" called the smack section. Unfortunately negative things, such as the post gets put in here instead of smack.

Keep it real.
Keep it positive.
I see a difference between offenses, smack talks, and rants.
But maybe I'm too picky.

I don't act like the others, I don't think bob is "full of ****". Just a sentiment, but his posts just have a feeling that he knows what he's talking about.

But in this instance, it goes against every report I've read. Well, the Jenkins thing I can believe, but I don't think it's that big a problem, specially since Jenkins has had a sack in every game, and is playing very well. IF the guy is playing well, he's happy. He's being featured in this D, he and Matthews are the clearcut design rushers (the others hold the point of attack).

About the receivers, obviously a receiver always wants the ball, but they've been given the ball, stats show that they have been targeted evenly (prior to the Lions game, it was 23 targets Finley, 22 Jennings, 22 Driver). Plus, they respect Rodgers, and they're the most unselfish group in the league (except for Finley).

I do think this team has some issues, some discontents, but to say that they are chemistry problems is a far stretch, specially given that they've been teammates for at least 3 years now.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of unhappy campers wearing the green and gold these days.

Lets start first with the defense. Cullen Jenkins is very upset about his contract. The Packers don't seem to be in any hurry to extend him at this time. I don't bame Jenkins either. He is one of their best players and is having a good year. Can you imagine how he feels after seeing the Packers spending boatloads of money on Pickett, Clifton, Grant Poppinga, Chillar, Collins, Driver and Woodson? Driver and Woodson both had a few years remaining on their contracts and the Packers still gave them new contracts well into their late 30's with big pay increases.

That was stupid on the Packers part. You're telling me that a 38 year old Driver is going to be worth his contract. So the Jets give into Revis's demands means the Packers have to give Woodson a big raise even though he had 3 years remaining on his contract.

Bad business decisions. And you wonder why there's no money to sign a Peppers in free agency. Hawk has made it known that he wouldn't mind being traded elsewhere.

Things aren't any better on offense. Rodgers is upset with the play calling. Jennings, Driver, Jones and Finley all want the ball. Look at Driver's and Jenning's receiving totals so far. You think they're happy. Nelson could care less. He's a Kansas farm boy who is just ecstatic to be in the NFL. One of the reasons this offense looks out of sink is I think Rodgers is trying to not slight any of his receivers.

First of all........Rodgers slighting his receivers? Thats crazy. If you are open he is going to throw it to that guy depending on progression. Who he looks at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. This is my prediction when it comes to paying C. Jenkins. Clifton and Tauscher will be gone next year and I have a feeling Hawk will be too. Not sure how much money we will save by letting those three go one way or another.........but I am positive it is way more than enough to pay Jenkins. He is playing well......and he is going to get paid.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think the Rodgers thing is something to even worry about

The Jenkins things yeah little pissed , but we have heard this form others when it was their time and they got their money..So wait till it comes near end of season before going all nutts.

Of course the Wr want them ball I wouldnt want them NOT to, so thats a real issue? Seriously?

So wait...is AARON now becoming a primadonna DIVA by you guys' standards since he's questioning the coach's play calling?????????? *Hand over his chest* Say it ain't so!

Aaron led you guys right into this one

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So wait...is AARON now becoming a primadonna DIVA by you guys' standards since he's questioning the coach's play calling?????????? *Hand over his chest* Say it ain't so!

Aaron led you guys right into this one

Who is saying that?

God I swear you twist things around so much to suit your agenda

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time I've ever heard Rodgers talk about his receivers he ALWAYS describes them as unselfish. This isn't TO and Ochocinco we're talking about here. It's Driver and Jennings, two of the classiest WR's in the game. They are constantly congratulating eachother and the other receivers for touchdowns and such. Finley is the only one who might get mouthy, but he has no reason to, he's Rodger's favorite target and gets the most thrown his way anway.

I wouldn't worry about Jenkins too much. What have we learned about our players in the last few seasons? You play well, you will get taken care of. Look at Tramon, Collins, Driver, and Woodson. I'm sure Jenkins will come to realize that. With the way he's playing, there's no way we don't give him what he deserves.

Emperor_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post Packerbob. I just think that if the Packers play offense like last year they all should be able to get some good catches. Throwing the football lately has been short gains. Still waiting for those monster long passes.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score

About Peppers and Driver's contract, could not disagree more. You reward your own performers. Driver has been great so far. No he won't play till he's 40, but he will retire a happy Packer, the fanbase will be estatic, and it will pay in PR. It's not all about what happens on the field.

Rodgers coments were well documented in all the Wisconsin papers. He told reporters that he wasn't happy with all the different offensive packaged McCarthy was using. He wanted his playmakers on the field more often. He even stormed out of the locker room. It's was a big story in the Green Bay pressgazette and Milwaukee journal sentinal. Jenkins also said to local reporters how upset he is about his contract situation. Jennings has been unhappy about his lack of touches. It came to the forfront after I'm thinking the Bear game where he had only 2 catches for 13 yards. These were all stories in the Green Bay and Milwaukee paper. I know a lot of people want links. I am not the most computer saavy person and have no idea how to supply a link. I see longtimefan is from Wisconsin so I'm sure he has read all of this and can vouch for me. Maybe he can provide links to these stories. The Jenkins one came out shortly before the Lion game. Jennings has been ongoing and Rodgers complaints came in the locker room after the Lions game. A lot of these things are being discussed on local sportstalk radio out of Wisconsin on a daily basis. I don't know what else I can tell you. I'm sure any members on this forum from Wisconsin have already heard this. Maybe one of them can provide a link for you or go to jsonline.com and read the article.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I can vouch for Packerbob on the sources about Rodger's frustration, I read an article in the Wisconsin State Journal, how he was upset that they didn't have go for the passing game. He wanted the throw more, but they wanted to run the ball. Though the papers also say his receivers are understanding that Rodgers doesn't target one receiver, but who ever is open.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Wisconsin and read JSOnline religiously. I can confirm the Jenkins story, but none of the others. (yes, I took packerbob off of my ignore list- how long that lasts will be up to him)

Link to Jenkins story: Jenkins is miffed over lack of contract talk - JSOnline

You didn't see Rodgers intereviewed on local tv after the Lion game. It was on local TV and they have been discussing it for 3 days now on local sportstalk radio. There are 3 sportstalk radio stations out of milwaukee 540am 1250am 620am Green Bay radio 1440am or 107.5 fm. The have been talking about the discontent going on with Jennings. Rodgers, Jenkins. Hawk and then it shifted to people's disgust with Thompson not making the Lynch trade.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You didn't see Rodgers intereviewed on local tv after the Lion game. It was on local TV and they have been discussing it for 3 days now on local sportstalk radio. There are 3 sportstalk radio stations out of milwaukee 540am 1250am 620am Green Bay radio 1440am or 107.5 fm. The have been talking about the discontent going on with Jennings. Rodgers, Jenkins. Hawk and then it shifted to people's disgust with Thompson not making the Lynch trade.

It should be 1400am or 107.5fm for Green Bay radio.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
McCarthy already addressed Aaron's comments in the media. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy already addressed Aaron's comments in the media. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

What do you expect him to say to the media? I'm sure McCarthy's discussion with Rodgers behind closed doors would be a better indication on his true feelings.

Members online

Latest posts