This team folds in the Clutch

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been very hesitant to come out and say this. I have tried to be optimistic. But I can't be optimistic anymore. This team has sucked in the clutch since 2008. Whether it's Rodgers, the defense, the punter or whoever this team collapses when it counts the most. Seriously, every single game the Packers win is one of the following types of games:

A-The Packers blow the other, inferior team out.
B-They Packers build up a nice comfy lead and then let the other team back in it and hang on by the skin of their teeth.

There have been a couple of exceptions such as the Cowboys game last year, or the two Bears games in 2009 but besides that these have pretty much been the case.

What I'm saying is that this team cannot come from behind. Apart from the one Bears game last year has there been a single game in the past 3 years where the Packers have come from behind to win late in the game? The only other one I can think of is the Lions and Packers week 2 in 2008. And that doesn't really count since the Packers built up a huge lead and almost blew it.

In the three years in which Rodgers has been at quarterback, the Packers have been blown out of just one game. Only one. That's right, 1. That was the Saints game in 2008 when the Pack got thomped on. Besides that the Packers have been in every game they have played in the past few years.

The bottom line is, until this team can perform in crunch time, they aren't making much of a playoff run.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with that, again, is the coaching staff. We get a comfy lead, we go on cruise control... doesn't matter if it's on defense or offense. We get behind, they panic and think they need to air it out every single play regardless of how well our running game has been going. I've seen several games where Grant has been dominant and couldn't be stopped, but we get down 7 or 10 points, and even if NOT the fourth quarter, the run plays are non existent. BAD play calls, lax on defense and offense.... Poor coaching.... case closed

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to expand on this further, let me go back the past three years and see how many games we had an opportunity to win, and lost.

At the Buccaneers in 2008 lost 30-21
Home to Atlanta in 2008 lost 27-24
At Tennessee in 2008 lost 19-16
At Minnesota in 2008 lost 28-17
Home to Carolina in 2008 lost 35-31
Home to Houston in 2008 lost 24-21
At Jacksonville in 2008 lost 20-16
At Chicago in 2008 lost 20-17
Home to Cincy in 2009 lost 31-24
At The Buccaneers in 2009 lost 38-28
At Pittsburgh in 2009 lost 37-36
At Arizona in 2009 lost 51-45
At Chicago in 2010 lost 20-17
At Washington in 2010 lost 16-13

I hate to say it but it almost makes me miss Favre.

PackerManLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clutch???

For some years now I am tired of seein us not finish games, I'm tired of seeing us come out on the losing end of dog fights it's almost like I feel we do somethin in the end to screw up. How do you guys and gals feel abou this??

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder why McCarthy puts the pedal to the medal in the opening quarters and we dominate them and then it seems like we take our foot off the pedal for a while and we don't end up putting it back on.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to expand on this further, let me go back the past three years and see how many games we had an opportunity to win, and lost.

At the Buccaneers in 2008 lost 30-21
Home to Atlanta in 2008 lost 27-24
At Tennessee in 2008 lost 19-16
At Minnesota in 2008 lost 28-17
Home to Carolina in 2008 lost 35-31
Home to Houston in 2008 lost 24-21
At Jacksonville in 2008 lost 20-16
At Chicago in 2008 lost 20-17
Home to Cincy in 2009 lost 31-24
At The Buccaneers in 2009 lost 38-28
At Pittsburgh in 2009 lost 37-36
At Arizona in 2009 lost 51-45
At Chicago in 2010 lost 20-17
At Washington in 2010 lost 16-13

I hate to say it but it almost makes me miss Favre.

How does it make you miss Favre? He threw a game ending INT as often has he threw a TD. I don't see much difference in that regard.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the quarterback play in the Arizona, Tampa and Washington games that lost the game specifically. If Aaron doesn't choke we win those games.

NOW will you guys start listening?

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does it make you miss Favre? He threw a game ending INT as often has he threw a TD. I don't see much difference in that regard.

I do believe the Packers made the right decision regarding Favre and Rodgers. However, I will be willing to wager that under Favre the Packers managed to win close games more frequently. Sure Favre had his fair share of game ending INT's, but he had quite a few come from behind victories, of which we have seen 1 from Rodgers.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree, yes Rodgers threw an INT, but let's be real, Washington had the big Mo coming out of regulation. ITs not always easy to flip that around. Granted we've seen Favre do it a few times, but I think you are underselling how tough the Skins Defense was today.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree, yes Rodgers threw an INT, but let's be real, Washington had the big Mo coming out of regulation. ITs not always easy to flip that around. Granted we've seen Favre do it a few times, but I think you are underselling how tough the Skins Defense was today.

Alot here still blame Brett for losing the 4th and 26 Playoff game against Philly. So 'Mo' means nothing on this board.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the quarterback play in the Arizona, Tampa and Washington games that lost the game specifically. If Aaron doesn't choke we win those games.

NOW will you guys start listening?

How is a QB rating of over 120 considered choking?

God your hate blinds you.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre came thru in the regular season, but we all know he saves his super-chokes for the playoffs, likes to have seasons end with his boneheaders.

I love Rodgers so much, but I admit he's not been clutch late as much as we'd expect. Certainly not like what Brady or even Big Ben have come up with so many times late.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF you want to get into the whole choking thing I am more than happy to...

Jan. 20, 2002

The storyline: The 12-4 Packers have a shot to reach the conference championship game for first time since the 1997 season if they beat 14-2 Rams in the divisional round.

The result: BrettFavre throws 6 picks – tying the single-game NFL record for postseason picks last matched by Norm Van Brocklin ... back in 1955.

Jan. 4, 2003

The storyline: The 12-4 Packers were one of the best teams in football, playing at home against the tepid 9-6-1 Falcons in the wildcard round.

The result: BrettFavre sinks like a lead weight, reserving one of his worst performances of the year for when it matters most in a 27-7 loss (20 of 42, 47.6%, 247 yards, 5.9 YPA, 1 TD, 2 INT, 54.4 rating). It was Green Bay's lowest offensive output of the season. The Packers suffered their first-ever home playoff loss in franchise history.

BrettFavre not only threw two picks, he committed turnovers on three straight drives in the fourth quarter (one INT, two fumbles). Another fourth-quarter INT was overturned by a defensive penalty.

Jan. 11, 2004

The storyline: The Packers need to produce just one drive in overtime to beat the Eagles and then battle the Panthers for a chance to go to Super Bowl XXXVIII.

The result: On Green Bay's first play of overtime, BrettFavre tossed a bad pass into the hands of Eagles defender Brian Dawkins. Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb quickly drove his offense into easy field goal range for the victory. BrettFavre passed for 180 yards, one of his lowest outputs of the year.

Jan. 9, 2005

The storyline: The 10-6 Packers draw a gimme, landing the 8-8 Vikings at home in the wildcard round of the NFC playoffs.

The result: Favre turns out a gruesomely disfiguring playoff performance (22 of 33, 66.7%, 216 yards, 6.5 YPA, 1 TD, 4 INT, 55.4 rating), as Packers suffer a humiliating 31-17 loss to one of the worst teams ever to reach the playoffs. Had the Seahawks not lost to the Rams just one day earlier, Favre would have been the first quarterback in history to lose a playoff game to a .500 team.

It was BrettFavre's first four-pick game in two years.

Jan. 20, 2008

The storyline: BrettFavre’s 13-3 Packers were favored at home against the 10-6 Giants on one of the coldest nights in Lambeau Field history.

The result: BrettFavre, and the Packers offense, suffered one of the most colossal collapses in history. In the fourth quarter and overtime, Favre completed 4 of 10 passes for 32 yards with 2 INTs. Green Bay’s final four drives, with a Super Bowl appearance easily within their grasp, went for 0, 7, 0 and 2 yards.

Favre’s final pick, on the second play of overtime, led directly to the Giants’ game-winning field goal.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers is yet young and he is already so good. All of these things will come to him with experience. I have a feeling he is going to become a great QB, one we are going to be talking about for years to come.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Your love blinds you to the obvious. The boy CHOKES when he has to win games. I posted in another thread that all these stats that the 'experts' throw need to be looked at...go read that post before replying to this one. Your man crush makes me sick especially when it's for Chokon Rodgers.

Unexpected

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can go back and forth all day saying Favre did this right or wrong blah blah. Last time I checked Favre plays for the Vikings, not the Packers so we can probably get over the whole debate. Or you can join the Viking's forum and talk about how much you love him.

Fact of the matter is, we do choke. Mike McCarthy and crew seem to enjoy the prevent [us from winning] defense coupled with non-stop passing offense in the 2nd quarter. I can't count how many times we come out passing with 6 minutes or so in the 4th while we are up by atleast one possession. So many frustrating 3 and outs leaving the opposer with all day, 3 time outs, a 2 minute warning, and a prevent defense only sending 3 guys after the QB while somehow managing to be full of holes that'd put the Titanic to shame.

If you are up in the 2nd half, run the dang ball, preferably from a non-shotgun formation, burn the clock and wear out the defense. The detroit game was "ugly" to allot of people because we are so used to our wins being some 50-yard-one-handed-back-flip-bomb play to Jennings... But, we got the ball with 6:30-ish left on the clock and ran the ball 8 out of our 10 plays after which we were able to kneel it twice for a win. That's beautiful. No 3 pass and punt McCarthy syndrome leaving the game in detroit's grasp.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did A-Rod commit the D penalties that kept giving washington life? No. We have got to find a way to cut those out. I think that comes down to coaching more than anything we are just not that disciplined a football team, and it shows.

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play calling is the problem......2 plays yesterday .....1. 4th and 1 on the 1 yard line.....3 points would have won the game.....you always want a 2 score lead.....to early to go for it. 2. why pass in OT when you are in FG range???? McCarthy need to get a better play caller for the offense.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i feel a-rods confidence is down he is not playing like he should,hope he gets the bugs out,the two games bears skins perha gave up the t.d play that hurt,then the penalties that really hurt even in over time i dont blame a-rod i blame the team as a whole we had oppertunites and didnt take them,we could say crosby but how may 52 53 yarders you gonna get,but the bright side as bad as this game was again our backups showed up they played a game and kept it close,i think a-rod will be fine just need to get confidence up.and the team as a whole think they will come through lots of games to be played and think they will win a lot before the bye week.

Unexpected

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your love blinds you to the obvious. The boy CHOKES when he has to win games. I posted in another thread that all these stats that the 'experts' throw need to be looked at...go read that post before replying to this one. Your man crush makes me sick especially when it's for Chokon Rodgers.

Looking back there's more than a few reasons why Rodgers 'choked'.
Driver wasn't catching
He's got two new TE
He's being hammered because Clif couldn't hold a block

Any QB's performance is going to falter when they've been dodging defenders or getting laid out after almost every pass. This game, it resulted in an int. BUT, why were we passing there in the first place?

Honestly, Rodgers put the team in field goal position three times. McCarthy "choked" and went for it on 4th down. In the heat of the moment I'm sure it seemed like a good idea, but McCarthy doesn't seem to plan a few steps ahead and ran the ball twice...because the defense didn't see that coming? The two missed field goals were also Chokes, two clutch moments that were wasted. Someone else said it in another thread, Rodgers drove us into field goal rang, and if the field goal had been good we'd all be saying he was "clutch". In OT, why were we passing on 2nd and 5? McCarthy syndrome really showed this game, he passed first down, second down and would have passed third if the ball hadn't been picked off. One dimensional much McCarthy? Our running game was decent, and they knew we were going to be passing...gotta mix it up a little bit, bad play calling.

But, it's a free country. You can (and probably always will) put all the blame on a guy who was put in a bad situation with bad blocking, bad receiving, and worse play calling BUT still managed to set the team up 3 different times for field goals. He makes mistakes, yes, but he was far from the only one.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

HAHAHA no real rebuttal?

HOW IS OVER A 120 RATING CHOKING? ITS NOT AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!

OWNED

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HAHAHA no real rebuttal?

HOW IS OVER A 120 RATING CHOKING? ITS NOT AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!

OWNED

It really doesn't matter what your QB Rating is if you can't lead a game winning drive. He had an opportunity to do so in overtime and didn't get the job done. He threw a very Favre like INT. I like Rodgers a lot, but he needs to prove he is an elite quarterback by seizing opportunities like the one he had yesterday, and winning the game. Perhaps he will improve as he gains more experience. I don't know. And it definitely is not always Rodgers fault. In the Steelers game last year he did lead what would be a game winning drive except that the defense couldn't stop Big Ben. Thus the reason I titled this thread "This Team folds in the clutch".

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter what your QB Rating is if you can't lead a game winning drive. He had an opportunity to do so in overtime and didn't get the job done. He threw a very Favre like INT. I like Rodgers a lot, but he needs to prove he is an elite quarterback by seizing opportunities like the one he had yesterday, and winning the game. Perhaps he will improve as he gains more experience. I don't know. And it definitely is not always Rodgers fault. In the Steelers game last year he did lead what would be a game winning drive except that the defense couldn't stop Big Ben. Thus the reason I titled this thread "This Team folds in the clutch".

his rating yesterday was a 75.7 so I am not talking about yesterdays game. Go back and read what games the realfavrefan was talking about, then we can talk about it.

I was on a flight yesterday so I have only seen bits and pieces of the game so I wont make a judgment until I see the full game on yesterday.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did the Packers not lose due to a Chokon Rodgers turn over? Aaron didn't choke yet Brett did in the NFC championship game against the Giants? Talk about blinders!

Members online

Latest posts