1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

This sickens me

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by ivo610, Mar 2, 2013.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,100
  2. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    I read most of it & skimmed through the bottom. They should mention where the rest of that money goes. If it makes Beckett look bad then oh well. The media has a J-O-B to get that info & let the people know

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
  4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,979
    Non for profits do have issues..

A while back my son (who has the worse form of Muscular Dystrophy there is) out grew his wheelchair....

So we find out my health insurance is saying they wont pay for another motorized chair for 2 more years..They said every 5 years is the policy..

So I call the local MDA office and I am told there is no money for wheelchairs..Lot of it goes towards the MDA clinics, and regular visits...

Only so much to go around for everyone that has MD

• Like Like x 1
  5. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,136
    All this just my opinion:

Unfortunately for the most part, the media no longer fulfills the crucial role it has historically played in this country. No matter your political leanings, we should all be concerned when the majority of the main-stream media become cheerleaders for an administration rather than fulfilling its adversarial role. That is more than unfortunate, it's dangerous and that's what I see currently going on. From that perspective, not investigating charities is a relatively minor short-coming. So it's fallen to individuals to be news gatherers and editors; and regarding charities the point I'm making is now the responsibility for checking out charities falls upon individuals. For all the crap on the internet, it does provide an avenue to help individuals do both. There is more news information on the net than can be read and sites like http://www.charitynavigator.org/ are very useful to find out just how much money charities spend on their stated purpose, as opposed to enriching individuals or fundraising.

BTW, the most disgusting example in the linked story was the A-Rod Family Foundation, which reportedly gave 1% of its proceeds to charity in its first year and then stopped reporting to the IRS. So any clueless individual contributing to this piece of sh!t not only threw their money away but if they reported the contribution as a charitable one on their taxes, they are potentially in trouble with the IRS.

[rant] Its not for anyone to decide how another person should spend their money and I usually refrain from doing so. But I just don't understand people like A-Rod. He became a pro baseball player in 1993 and as the top pick that year I'm sure endorsed a nice bonus check. I don't know how much more he was paid by the Mariners, but from 2001 through 2012 by my calculations the Rangers and Yankees have paid him $329,000,000. (More than $27,400,000 per year.) Even after paying taxes and taking care of his extended family, why couldn't he set up a charity that contributes 100% to whatever cause(s) with him paying the employees and for fund raising out of his pocket? Imagine a charity which could honestly boast, "100% of your contribution goes to ______." Even if he's mostly in it for the PR, imagine the PR! [/rant]

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. Too much pressure to make a profit instead of investigating and reporting accurate information. Also there seems to be an issue in America with people being unable to discern what is a News agency and what is just a bunch of commentary. We might not have overreacted and started two wars or allowed the Patriot act to become law because of an act of terrorism, if we still had a strong and well respected media.

But I also put blame on the American people for part of this, they are getting what they want. I was just commenting to my wife the other day while we were standing in the checkout line at the local market that years ago you would see magazines like Life, Newsweek, Time and other news magazines lining the checkouts. Now its all about self absorption, gotta know what the person who is famous for being famous is doing. Too many uniformed people who don't seem to want to know what's going on and take action.

Sad really, my grandchildren are going to live in a much different world than I have known.

7. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Sorry to hear about your Son. It must be very challenging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,979
    We fought it and my insurance did end up covering it.

His mother and I are divorced..He needs a wheelchair van as he can not be lifted out of his chair to go places..Even if he could get seated in a car..The chair can not be broken down in sections to fit in a trunk..

I just can not afford one for the one or two weekend a month visits.....I really wish I could...However I rely on his mother to bring him over..But it has been a very long time since I seen him..

9. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,087
    glad they managed to sort it out.

10. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    It's not only your opinion.
    It's the correct opinion, because it's factual.

11. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    Hence why we have representative democracy, let an informed few make the big decisions and try to keep the uninformed masses ie Fox News/MSNBC watchers out of the decision making process.

That being said we need some serious reform of the tax code with respect to non profits. First enforce the actual language IRC:

(A) Civic leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare, or local associations of employees, the membership of which is limited to the employees of a designated person or persons in a particular municipality, and the net earnings of which are devoted exclusively to charitable, educational, or recreational purposes.

The IRS has changed it's rules from exclusively to "does some sort of questionable social welfare work." This exemption shouldn't serve as a means to skirt around paying taxes.

Second I'd like to see some actual requirements in terms of the amounts of money that can be spent on what for these types of organization. Specifically limits on the amount of money for administrative overhead. Simply put if you're not spending 70-80% of your income on your social welfare mission well then you get to pay corporate taxes.

12. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +3,136
    This is sadly humorous IMO. Let "an informed few" make the big decisions, huh? Like John Conyers (D-MI)? Here's what he said about reading the cluster-f*ck ironically named the Affordable Care Act, "I love these members, they get up and say, ‘Read the bill'... What good is reading the bill if it’s a thousand pages and you don’t have two days and two lawyers to find out what it means after you read the bill?" No need to read bills if you're just taking orders from your party's leadership, right? He's not the most ignorant or corrupt member of congress, unfortunately he's just another great example of each.

Look, it's the people's fault for electing these clueless people but thinking they are the "informed few" is also clueless. These are the people who passed the 2,200 page "health care" bill which now has about 20,000 pages of regulations attached to it - and they aren't done yet. No one, repeat NO ONE knows its consequences. These are the people who piss away OUR money like its so much worthless paper amassing a debt of nearly $17 trillion. And as if that's not bad enough, the federal government's unfunded liabilities are more than $70 trillion. These are the people who as a group see their reelection as the nation's number one priority.

Jefferson said, "An informed citizenry is the bulwark of a democracy." And Franklin said, "A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Notice, neither or them talked about well-informed representatives or government employees. IMO the reason we are in the mess we're in is because of the general ignorance of the population. If we could magically fix that, our representatives would magically become much wiser or they'd be thrown out on their arses.

BTW, I watch both Fox News and MSNBC and for decades I have listened to NPR and "right wing" radio. All "news" is slanted and always has been, it's just more obvious now. Certainly Fox News has show hosts that are on the far right but it also delivers "straight news" that is no more biased than NBC, ABC, CBS, or CNN. I am unaware of any such attempt on MSNBC which IMO is worthless regarding intelligent commentary (I only watch when I want to know the take of the loony left on any particular issue).

[rant]As for Section 501(c)(3) if it were up to me we'd throw it and the entire IRS Code out. CCH's publication the Standard Federal Tax Reporter (your CPA probably has a copy) was first published in 1913 as a 400 page document, was a 73,608 page, 25-volume service in January of 2012. Again if it were up to me we'd have a flat tax or consumption tax (not both): Buy a house and incur a mortgage because it gives you peace of mind and/or it makes sense financially. Give to charity because you believe God mandates it and/or because you want to help your fellow man. Not because you get a tax deduction for either. And if we can't do that, here's two suggestions:

1. Have everyone who earns money pay into the Treasury, even if it's only $10. Have as many as possible have "skin in the game".

2. Eliminate automatic income tax payments from pay checks: Have everyone make quarterly estimated payments. The simple act of having all taxpayers write those checks would change the country for the better IMO.[/rant]

13. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Politics make me sick usually.
    So does this:

WHAT'S AN INFIDEL ?

The author, Rick Mathes, is a well-known leader in prison ministry. The man who walks with God always gets to his destination. If you have a pulse you have a purpose.

The Muslim religion is the fastest growing religion per capita in the United States , especially in the minority races.

Last month I attended my annual training session that's required for maintaining my state prison security clearance. During the training session there was a presentation by three speakers representing the Roman Catholic, Protestant and Muslim faiths, who each explained their beliefs.

I was particularly interested in what the Islamic Imam had to say. The Muslim gave a great presentation of the basics of Islam, complete with a video.

After the presentations, time was provided for questions and answers. When it was my turn, I directed my question to the Muslim and asked: 'Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that most Imams and clerics of Islam have declared a holy jihad [Holy war] against the infidels of the world and, that by killing an infidel, (which is a command to all Muslims) they are assured of a place in heaven. If that's the case, can you give me the definition of an infidel?'
    There was no disagreement with my statements and, without hesitation, he replied, 'Non-believers!'

I responded, 'So, let me make sure I have this straight. All followers of Allah have been commanded to kill everyone who is not of your faith so they can have a place in heaven. Is that correct?'

The expression on his face changed from one of authority and command to that of a little boy who had just been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.'

He sheepishly replied, 'Yes.'

I then stated, 'Well, sir, I have a real problem trying to imagine The Pope commanding all Catholics to kill those of your faith or Dr. Stanley ordering all Protestants to do the same in order to guarantee them a place in heaven!'
    The Muslim was speechless.

I continued, 'I also have a problem with being your friend when you and your brother clerics are telling your followers to kill me! Let me ask you a question:
    Would you rather have your Allah, who tells you to kill me in order for you to go to heaven, or my Jesus who tells me to love you because I am going to heaven and He wants you to be there with me?'

You could have heard a pin drop.

Needless to say, the organizers and/or promoters of the 'Diversification' training seminar were not happy with my way of dealing with the Islamic Imam, and exposing the truth about the Muslims' beliefs.

According to some estimates, in twenty years there will be enough Muslim voters in the U.S. to elect the President.

(I have a hard time believing that considering the Mexican is typically Catholic, and they are increasing their % more than anyone else last I checked....)

14. fanindaup

fanindaup Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    500 years ago there were a couple of Crusades. Every organized religion has a stain on its history. Just sayin.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,100
    http://www.inquisitr.com/241677/stu...informed-than-those-who-watch-no-news-at-all/

Sounds like you should stop watching FOX and MSNBC.

16. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    This is sadly humorous IMO. Let "an informed few" make the big decisions, huh?

Your opinion is hysterical. Why on Earth do you suppose we have an elected body of representatives in the first place, why did Article I make such a body? Because it is not reasonable, it is not plausible, and it certainly is not sensible to expect the common citizenry to make such decisions. We have a far more democratic government than what was founded, how is that working out for us?

Like John Conyers (D-MI)? Here's what he said about reading the cluster-f*ck ironically named the Affordable Care Act, "I love these members, they get up and say, ‘Read the bill'... What good is reading the bill if it’s a thousand pages and you don’t have two days and two lawyers to find out what it means after you read the bill?" No need to read bills if you're just taking orders from your party's leadership, right? He's not the most ignorant or corrupt member of congress, unfortunately he's just another great example of each.

Look, it's the people's fault for electing these clueless people but thinking they are the "informed few" is also clueless. These are the people who passed the 2,200 page "health care" bill which now has about 20,000 pages of regulations attached to it - and they aren't done yet.

First, the signed Bill was 906 pages, as for the number of regulations please state a source. Second the read the bill nonsense is nothing more than fodder for low information voters, with the number of Bills Acts, and resolutions these people are confronted with whenever Congress is in session makes actually reading each bill nigh impossible, they have staffs for a reason.

As for the ACA it was an ugly process and I'd argue that the passionate involvement of so many yahoos made it far worse than it had to be. I don't dispute that the Federal Government overreached itself in trying to recreate Mayo Clinic in every hospital or clinic, but it certainly did do some good things as well. In particular the State Exchanges finally create a road map away from business killing employer based healthcare system.

No one, repeat NO ONE knows its consequences. These are the people who piss away OUR money like its so much worthless paper amassing a debt of nearly $17 trillion. And as if that's not bad enough, the federal government's unfunded liabilities are more than $70 trillion. These are the people who as a group see their reelection as the nation's number one priority.

And you think an "informed" involved citizenry is the answer? Even a majority of Tea Partiers consistently state they are unwilling to see cuts to either Medicare or Social Security, not that that group is informed.

Jefferson said, "An informed citizenry is the bulwark of a democracy." And Franklin said, "A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins."

“A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.” Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it." Ben Franklin

Looks like they did favor representative democracy... Besides if you're going to provide insights into our Government stay away from Jefferson, he said many things and he was generally FOS. I have a question, we passed a number of transparency laws back in the 60s, do you think Government has run better since then?

BTW, I watch both Fox News and MSNBC

I can tell.

and for decades I have listened to NPR and "right wing" radio.

NPR is user driven, and unfortunately too often influenced by crackpots while talk radio consists of a bunch of entertainers, about as informing as watching monkies throw feces. Fox News runs "straight news" I guess by their standards. but even that's heavily biased. They certainly love running absurd headlines in their news scroll. MSNBC, I'll give them credit for the Morning Joe and Chuck Todd's Morning Show is ok if biased.

As for Section 501(c)(3) if it were up to me we'd throw it and the entire IRS Code out. CCH's publication the Standard Federal Tax Reporter (your CPA probably has a copy) was first published in 1913 as a 400 page document, was a 73,608 page, 25-volume service in January of 2012. Again if it were up to me we'd have a flat tax or consumption tax (not both): Buy a house and incur a mortgage because it gives you peace of mind and/or it makes sense financially. Give to charity because you believe God mandates it and/or because you want to help your fellow man. Not because you get a tax deduction for either. And if we can't do that, here's two suggestions:

1. Have everyone who earns money pay into the Treasury, even if it's only $10. Have as many as possible have "skin in the game".

2. Eliminate automatic income tax payments from pay checks: Have everyone make quarterly estimated payments. The simple act of having all taxpayers write those checks would change the country for the better IMO.

All snide remarks aside. How would you finance the resulting drop in revenue? Specifically what would you cut in spending? I don't necessarily disapprove of cutting revenue but they have to atleast try to tie revenue to spending.

17. fanindaup

fanindaup Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Wow have we ever deviated from the original topic of this thread. Is this a football forum? I watch football to get away from real life.

18. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,038
    Most threads usually wander off topic sooner or later.
    You are in the atrium which is for non-football related discussions.
    I prefer porn which is as far from my real life as it gets. :tdown: Sex? yeah I hope to try it again someday.:laugh:

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Is this the atrium or the football forums?

20. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Sure, but this is here & now.
    There wasn't even an iPhone back then.

Let's focus on today, and maybe tomorrow......

21. fanindaup

fanindaup Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I prefer porn which is as far from my real life as it gets. :tdown: Sex? yeah I hope to try it again someday.:laugh: [/quote]
    I'm married too. I hear you bro.

22. fanindaup

fanindaup Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    "Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it." Albert Einstein.
    I was pointing out all organized religions have a dark side. To rail against one without acknowledging another is hypocritical.
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."...I shouldn't have to tell you where that comes from.

23. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Right.

I'm worried about saving lives of people today, and tomorrow. My kids, and their kids. Your kids, your brothers and sisters, cousins, nephews.

We can't do anything about 3 thousand years ago, to be honest.
    Or about 300 years ago.

More civilians were killed by Muslim extremists in two hours on September 11th than in the 36 years of sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland.

More people are killed by Islamists each year than in all 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition combined.

This week in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Kenya, Thailand, Chicago

A suicide bomber attacks a Red Cross office, killing a guard.

Sectarian bombers blow up a wedding party, killing sixteen outright and leaving another forty in agony.

Sunnis detonate a shrapnel bomb at a Shia bus stop, taking down at least five civilians.

Mujahideen bomb a Shiite commercial district, killing at least six innocents.

Four people are killed by a Shahid suicide car bomber.

al-Qaeda bombers take out eight Iraqis with a bomb planted in a Shia neighborhood.

Children are among the casualties when a female suicide bomber detonates in a public square.

Seven Shia pilgrims on a bus are sent straight to Allah by Sunni bombers.

A pastor and a church member are brutally slain by Islamist gunmen.

Members of Boko Haram murder an elderly Christian woman in her home.

Fedayeen attack a humanitarian aid office, killing a 6-year-old child and three others.

Muslim 'separatists' murder five security personnel with a roadside bomb.

A grocery store owner is executed in his shop by Muslim 'insurgents'.

A Christian man is gunned down by two men in a targeted attack.

A cleric is among eleven people killed in a sectarian clash between Shia and Sunni. -Lebanon

Eleven people at a mosque bleed out following a bombing by Religion of Peace rivals.

Thirteen shoppers are blown to bits by an al-Qaeda bomb at a shopping district.

A young Lebanese man caught plotting to detonate a bomb near Chicago’s iconic Wrigley Field baseball stadium was sentenced Thursday to 23 years in prison, prosecutors said.
    Lebanese citizen Sami Samir Hassoun was a legal resident of the United States at the time of his 2010 arrest.
    “The thought of what might have happened if it was real is horrific,” U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman said in handing down the sentence.
    Hassoun pleaded guilty last year to one count of attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and one count of attempted use of an explosive device.
    The 25-year-old admitted to telling an FBI source that he wanted to “paralyze” Chicago commerce and undermine the city’s political establishment.

To most people who watched the widely distributed video of Michael Adebolajo standing in a London street on May 22 talking into the camera of a passer-by while holding a meat cleaver that he had just used to help slaughter an innocent British soldier, the young man is, at best, a suspected murderer. At worst, he’s a terrorist. In the eyes of Omar Bakri, Adebolajo is “a freedom fighter.”
    “From an Islamic perspective, he is fighting back against the soldiers who are committing crimes against Iraq,” Bakri told TIME in a telephone interview from Lebanon on May 29. http://world.time.com/2013/05/30/woolwich-murder-suspect-is-a-freedom-fighter-says-islamist-leader-banned-from-u-k/#ixzz2Uvbv5xH1

24. fanindaup

fanindaup Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Are these acts horrible and reprehensible? Yes. There Frank. Im not disagreeing with you on that. But you still miss the bigger picture. First, these are not examples of a way of life for the majority of Muslims. They are due to extremist Arabian Muslim teaching. Overwhelmingly American Muslims do not approve of this behavior. Why then are Arabs so touchy? Europeans have a history of meddling in Arabian affairs, as much as many of Africa's problems can be traced to colonial policies by Western powers. The Crusades were just the beginning. Body counts aren't a flattering way to compare which religion of peace is better than another.
    My point was that all religions have a body count in their history. That's not a good thing. I consider myself. spiritual person. I don't need to go to church to know the difference between right and wrong.

25. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +3,136
    Your opinion is hysterical. Why on Earth do you suppose we have an elected body of representatives in the first place, why did Article I make such a body? Because it is not reasonable, it is not plausible, and it certainly is not sensible to expect the common citizenry to make such decisions. We have a far more democratic government than what was founded, how is that working out for us?
    Obviously the US is not a democracy but a democratic - or representative - republic. That does not mitigate the need for citizens to be informed. Look at the First Amendment: An important aspect – IMO the most important - of the freedom of the press is to allow the press to have an adversarial relationship with government. The reason that is important is so that the people are informed of what is going on in government. The people then have the right to assemble (protest) and petition the government for a redress of grievances. If the people are ignorant of the issues all that is meaningless.

Second the read the bill nonsense is nothing more than fodder for low information voters, with the number of Bills Acts, and resolutions these people are confronted with whenever Congress is in session makes actually reading each bill nigh impossible, they have staffs for a reason.
    Look at the Conyers quote again – he didn’t read the bill and no one in his office did either because he didn’t “have two days and two lawyers to find out what it means after you read the bill”. So out of one side of your mouth you call elected representatives the “informed few” and out of the other side you give them excuses for not being informed.

As for the ACA it was an ugly process and I'd argue that the passionate involvement of so many yahoos made it far worse than it had to be. I don't dispute that the Federal Government overreached itself in trying to recreate Mayo Clinic in every hospital or clinic, but it certainly did do some good things as well. In particular the State Exchanges finally create a road map away from business killing employer based healthcare system.
    It looks to me like the ultimate aim of the UnAffordable Care Act is single payer which Obama has said he's in favor of and which will continue our path to insolvency. As the bill was going through congress, it was more than 2,000 pages. And as to the number of regulations, the Washington Post fact checker thinks its closer to 10,000 but because it’s so convoluted it gave McConnell's statement a “no rating”. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...1eec914-bcf9-11e2-9b09-1638acc3942e_blog.html

The number of pages isn’t the issue as much as it greatly expands the role of the government. Also, I think it’s unconstitutional as it was sold. Remember Obama repeated over and over again those who weren’t covered would be penalized, not taxed. Yet the only way Chief Justice Roberts found it to be constitutional is to call the “penalty” a tax. If we could go back in time and have it’s proponents advocate for that tax IMO they couldn’t have bribed enough Democrats to vote for it. And why so many waivers if it’s such a great plan? IMO it puts us on the path to socialized medicine and as Thatcher said, ‘the problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money’. I look at Europe and see an economic model I don’t want us to follow and Obamacare is a huge step in that direction.

And you think an "informed" involved citizenry is the answer? Even a majority of Tea Partiers consistently state they are unwilling to see cuts to either Medicare or Social Security, not that that group is informed.
    You provide the answer which contradicts your example. Anyone unwilling to see cuts to Medicare and Social Security is uninformed. That reinforces my point of the importance of an informed citizenry. The professional politicians of today don’t have the courage to do what’s best for the country unless an informed citizenry “makes” them.

“A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.” Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it." Ben Franklin
    Neither of those quotes are relevant. Even you know we have a republic, not a democracy, right? The checks and balances are in place to guard against "mob rule". And an informed citizenry is antithetical to a "mob". And how Is Franklin’s quote relevant to whether citizens should be informed? It certainly could be interpreted to mean that’s important or we’ll lose the republic. If your point is the founders didn’t believe an informed citizenry was important, you’ve got a long way to go to substantiate that point.

Perhaps the funniest and most idiotic part of your post was writing “I can tell” after I posted I watch both Fox News and MSNBC. After I posted that and that I listen to NPR and “right wing” radio, you give an “exposition” of all four. So your snarky “I can tell” is thrown back in your face as you too apparently watch Fox News, MSNBC and listen to NPR and talk radio. Either that, or you pontificate on things you know nothing about. And of course those aren’t my only – or main – sources of information, I was only responding to your posting “let an informed few make the big decisions and try to keep the uninformed masses ie Fox News/MSNBC watchers out of the decision making process” which now looks like you’re calling yourself a member of the uninformed masses.

All snide remarks aside. How would you finance the resulting drop in revenue? Specifically what would you cut in spending? I don't necessarily disapprove of cutting revenue but they have to atleast try to tie revenue to spending.
    Both a consumption tax and a flat tax could be revenue neutral, but I would like to see a cut in revenue to the government. A good start on controlling spending is to implement zero-based budgeting. The exact opposite is what's going on in DC - advocates of bigger government call a reduction in the increase of spending as a "cut". Fixing Social Security is relatively simple IMO. As for fixing our health care system, I like the ideas of Dr. Ben Carson. Fixing it is not simple but IMO we need to change the current system in which the cost of services don’t matter to patients.

The ultimate fix of our fiscal mess will require an informed citizenry to put in place representatives who recognize the mess. So we are on opposite ends of that spectrum: You favor leaving it up to politicians who have gotten us into this mess and are making it worse. Incredibly, you are arguing in favor of an ignorant electorate. I think we need to clean house of these professional politicians who mostly enrich themselves at the expense of the country. I think the federal government is way too big already and proponents of UCA want to see it expanded. And for those who welcome the ever increasing nanny state, an uninformed citizenry is a good way to get there. Look at Axelrod’s excuse for Obama regarding the IRS scandal on Morning Joe. After repeating the lie that it was just low-level bureaucrats he says, "Part of being president is there is so much beneath you that you can't know because the government is so vast." That’s right, the government is so vast this administration wants to make significantly “vaster”.

• Agree Agree x 1