This season was nothing but a Fart In the Wind.

L

Lunchboxer

A Team Record of 15-1 and we got 1 and done in the Playoffs.

That loss sting/hurts more than the Loss to the Cards few years back. In 09 Packers were still finding them selfs and molding to be a great team. This season we had most of the players healthy and playing. I could tell MM was not expecting Grant,Kuhn,Cobb,Jennings to fumble the game away.

I wish this game happened in the regular season when nothing goes right but what ever could go wrong went wrong.

15-1 with nothing to show for it except a Division Champion Woopie :sick:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had a great season.
No need to rain on that.
I know it's all over till next year and that does suck.
But 15-1 with some great games is still something to celebrate in my book.

L

Lunchboxer

We had a great season.
No need to rain on that.
I know it's all over till next year and that does suck.
But 15-1 with some great games is still something to celebrate in my book.

You know it would of been nice if we atleast made it to the Conference championship game. Going 15-1 I expected to atleast go Back to the SB. To lose the way they did it makes the 15-1 record look like meh.

Its not what you do in the regular season its what you do in the postseason that the teams will be remembered for.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know it would of been nice if we atleast made it to the Conference championship game. Going 15-1 I expected to atleast go Back to the SB. To lose the way they did it makes the 15-1 record look like meh.

Its not what you do in the regular season its what you do in the postseason that the teams will be remembered for.
All my expectations were crushed too just like everyone else's.
For a time the Pack looked invincible. That no team would beat them in playoff games at Lambeau.
Since there's nothing else we can do, I'll just look at the bright side of the great season we had and at the future and hope that the Packers will get their problems fixed so the Pack can be back.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not the loss that was so bad for me. It's that they played so poorly. That was a terrible game and a terrible effort for a team that was so good during the regular seasons at times. I expected better. If they played well and lost, fine, but they didn't. They would have lost to almost anyone on Sunday.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Aaron will/should win MVP. Thats not bad a year coming off a SB win. Only room to grow......

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ron Wolf made that line up..... and he was right because he knew, at the end of that 1997 season, that our run had come to an end because he knew the captain was on his last legs.
Reggie White I am referring to.

The sad thing is he was wrong in a sense, because he had the golden opportunity to steal Randy Moss. He didn't even need to trade up for him. By God's grace, the consensus top-5 talent slid all the way down to our pick at around #19 that year. But he chickened out, and the Vikings didn't.
That immediately changed the balance of power in our division as the Vikings went 15-1 and kicked our @sses twice that year, including in Green Bay on Monday Night Football in which I had the unpriviledge of going to, driving from Minnesota to.

We were playing, sometimes starting, Bill Schroeder those days. We could have used the SuperFreak. We hate Moss now because of who he was as a Viking and all he did, but we would have probably gone to a few more Super Bowls (unless Favre would have choked them away at the end of games) had Wolf not chickened out. He later admitted that was his biggest mistake he ever made as a GM.

L

Lunchboxer

Ron Wolf made that line up..... and he was right because he knew, at the end of that 1997 season, that our run had come to an end because he knew the captain was on his last legs.
Reggie White I am referring to.

The sad thing is he was wrong in a sense, because he had the golden opportunity to steal Randy Moss. He didn't even need to trade up for him. By God's grace, the consensus top-5 talent slid all the way down to our pick at around #19 that year. But he chickened out, and the Vikings didn't.
That immediately changed the balance of power in our division as the Vikings went 15-1 and kicked our @sses twice that year, including in Green Bay on Monday Night Football in which I had the unpriviledge of going to, driving from Minnesota to.

We were playing, sometimes starting, Bill Schroeder those days. We could have used the SuperFreak. We hate Moss now because of who he was as a Viking and all he did, but we would have probably gone to a few more Super Bowls (unless Favre would have choked them away at the end of games) had Wolf not chickened out. He later admitted that was his biggest mistake he ever made as a GM.

No guarantee I probably assume BurINT Favre would of thrown 4 Ints in the SBs we could of gone to. It was probably better not to be embarrassed like that on a big national stage.

For today TT biggest blunder is letting go Cullen Jenkins. TT did the smart thing in letting Favre leave.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Season was a great one... The playoff loss hurts but thats football!
I agree, what do people expect - that there will be no lost games anymore for the Packers ?
Games like that happen, a bad day and you're out of the race.
We won the Super Bowl XLV, we had a 15-1 season with some great games and we still have a team that will be able to win another Lombardi Trophy in the near future.
But the Divisional Playoffs proved it again:Offense wins games, defense wins championships !

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Ron Wolf quote that started this thread came to my mind as well after the game. But I always thought it was a little unfair to that '97 squad, since they at least won two playoff games (including the NFC Championship on the road). The quote is perhaps more relevant now, since this is first team in NFL history to go 15-1 and lose the first playoff game. However going into the 2012 season this team looks superior to the one heading into '98, and with the nucleus they have, I'd be shocked if they didn't have a chance for playoff redemption next year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows what next year will be like. Will our defensive issues that cry for a solution be addressed? What if Rodgers goes down? There will be no Matt Flynn around this time. That's why I am so pissed about Sunday. You have to seize the opportunities when they come your way and everyone spit the bit in that game.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah we were very fortunate to not have many REAL important season ending injuries (although maybe in retrospect the nick collins one was one of those). we may not be so fortunate in the coming years. had a real opportunity this year and blew it.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
A Team Record of 15-1 and we got 1 and done in the Playoffs.

That loss sting/hurts more than the Loss to the Cards few years back. In 09 Packers were still finding them selfs and molding to be a great team. This season we had most of the players healthy and playing. I could tell MM was not expecting Grant,Kuhn,Cobb,Jennings to fumble the game away.

I wish this game happened in the regular season when nothing goes right but what ever could go wrong went wrong.

15-1 with nothing to show for it except a Division Champion Woopie :sick:

Don't forget about being undefeated in the division. That's something you can hang your cheese wedge on. :)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Ron Wolf quote that started this thread came to my mind as well after the game. But I always thought it was a little unfair to that '97 squad, since they at least won two playoff games (including the NFC Championship on the road). The quote is perhaps more relevant now, since this is first team in NFL history to go 15-1 and lose the first playoff game. However going into the 2012 season this team looks superior to the one heading into '98, and with the nucleus they have, I'd be shocked if they didn't have a chance for playoff redemption next year.
So here we are, another year later and another team who overmatched us in the playoffs.
It makes me think of the Fart in the Wind comment Wolf made after the 1997 season ended.

Just 2 years ago, there was talk of a potential Packers "dynasty" after we beat the Bears in the NFCCG and then the Steelers to win the Super Bowl. None of us have won a playoff game since (except beating Joe Webb which doesn't feel like a playoff win, especially considering they beat us the week before with Ponder).

Anyway, we've seen the 49ers & Seahawks improving for a few years, especially on defense. And now with new QB's just this year, they took huge steps forward thruout the year.

Obviously we all HOPE we win another Super Bowl. Dynasty talk is clearly over.
But Farve was one & done with rings even though he, like Rodgers, was young still when he won his first one.
Peyton Manning was one & done.
Steve Young only won one.
Marino never made it back after the first one as a 2nd year young stud.
Drew Brees is one & done, he won't win another.

We have seen our defense regress.
And now we know that a big cog in our great passing game we've had (Greg Jennings) is going to be gone.
He was our best one, but what made our WR corps so good was the depth we had 1-2-3-4. Woodson's on the downside of his career. Those were special players for us, like it or not. They weren't "just guys".

So who here thinks this is going to be another "era" where we are a FART IN THE WIND?
That the Super Bowl win in Dallas will be the only one for Rodgers?

To me, it all, 100%, depends on the defense. We need the defense to get physical. Get to the point where they can stop people. Not just pray for interceptions, but actually stop people.
How many 3rd downs does this soft feminine defense allow?

https://packergeeks.wordpress.com/2008/02/01/ron-wolf-holmgren-pig-headed-in-1998-super-bowl/

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Just 2 years ago, there was talk of a potential Packers "dynasty" after we beat the Bears in the NFCCG and then the Steelers to win the Super Bowl.

To me, it all, 100%, depends on the defense. We need the defense to get physical. Get to the point where they can stop people. Not just pray for interceptions, but actually stop people.
How many 3rd downs does this soft feminine defense allow?

The "dynasty" talk two seasons ago...anyone using that term in my presence never got past "dy....." before I'd say "STOP. Right fricken now..." I had heard the same crud back in '96 and even then, I'd respond "Well, let's win more than one before we get stupid here."

I'm with you 100% on your statement regarding the "100% defense". 2010 was a charmed season defensively...because regardless where they ranked, they were "soft" then as well. I'll take 2010 to be sure...but let's not make it more than it was... I'm admittedly not a fan of the 3-4, which really it wasn't, it was more of a 70%-of -the-time Nickel

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
This era in NFL history is the most difficult time to have dynasty. A NFL team now has to contend with not only NFL draft but Salary cap & free agency. It is the era of competitive balance in the NFL. It is here to stay. So enjoy the Super Bowl years, they come very seldom, especially in modern era. Gone are Packer Glory years of 1960's with 5 NFL
championships in 8 years .; They are relic of past.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts