This offense could really use a Hill/Watkins/etc type

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was comparing some of what the Chiefs do and what we USED to do with Jennings...

Aaron has missed some throws this year fo sure but this offense could really use some smaller 5'10-6' "track star" type guys at WR again.

I remember the old Rodgers to Jennings good ole days and I feel like the Chiefs kind of have that but with BOTH Watkins and Hill.

Davante, MVS and Lazard are all great and bigger bodied WRs with Davante being a very "balanced" type of WR

BUT.... A smaller WR who could go deep but also catch slants and underneath drags is REALLY missing from this offense

I may have mentioned this before

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was comparing some of what the Chiefs do and what we USED to do with Jennings...

Aaron has missed some throws this year fo sure but this offense could really use some smaller 5'10-6' "track star" type guys at WR again.

I remember the old Rodgers to Jennings good ole days and I feel like the Chiefs kind of have that but with BOTH Watkins and Hill.

Davante, MVS and Lazard are all great and bigger bodied WRs with Davante being a very "balanced" type of WR

BUT.... A smaller WR who could go deep but also catch slants and underneath drags is REALLY missing from this offense

You don't have to be 6-foot and under to catch a slant or drag route.

The only thing needed to catch a slant route(other than catching the ball) is to win the press-man battle if necessary. A bigger bodied WR with similar strength should be able to do that easily over a smaller framed DB. If the DB is playing off the line it doesn't matter what your height is you're open.

On a drag route the QB is less likely to lose track of a taller WR over a smaller one. Also they can put more touch on the throw to allow the taller WR to catch it where only he can without having to jump for it and risk getting torpedoed like a smaller WR would have to. The biggest risk of throwing over the middle is injury risk to your WR or the ball getting picked off by a lengthy LB. A WR who's as tall or taller than a LB is more likely to avoid either of those issues.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers could use a defensive lineman like Aaron Donald as well, not gonna happen at this point of the season though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers could use a defensive lineman like Aaron Donald as well, not gonna happen at this point of the season though.
Rashan Gary is 3 pounds lighter than Donald. Put his hand in the dirt. He's already been there this season in the 5-man front. Z Smith does it also but this would get both on the field.
  • Nov 13 2019 12:07 PM
    Hi Pete, thanks for the chat as always! How do you see R. Gary's role playing out in the last six games?
    Caber
  • Nov 13 2019 12:11 PM
    Not sure, depends in part on injuries. I do wonder if he can help their run defense, he's a big, athletic guy, and Pettine sometimes uses a five-man front where one of the three down linemen is an OLB, usually it was Z Smith but two weeks ago Gary had a few snaps there, and I thought he looked pretty decent. He's a powerful guy with an explosive first couple steps, got some push on a play or two, and also was athletic enough to get to the ball when the run wasn't at him. He's listed at 277, which isn't big for an inside guy but is big enough if the guy is athletic (Aaron Donald is listed at 280). If the Packers don't think he can help them a lot there, then I'd guess the last six games will be like the previous several, where he plays about 20 snaps as a rotational OLB and rusher in the third-down dime (they use three OLBs and Kenny Clark on obvious passing third downs).
    Pete Dougherty
    You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So my point was that that seems to be the big missing piece to our offense.

You hope that Stern can become a 50/600/5 type of guy

You've got the trus number 1 WR and a couple good young faster tall WRs in MVS and Lazard

Our best runningback since Ahman Green

And the OL looks great. Jenkins is a guy we've missed since Sitton and he should develop into a Pro Bowler

But this offense and I feel AR is badly missing from a guy like Greg Jennings

Who can just "get skinny" amd get open deep or get lost underneath.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A conversation like this is best left alone until the 2020 FA thread, or you can post in Draft Talk about possible prospects, but the idea that a "Greg Jennings" like player is just going to be added off the street is unlikely, daresay impossible.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rashan Gary is 3 pounds lighter than Donald.

Unfortunately Gary is nowhere near as talented as Donald at this point in his career though.

So my point was that that seems to be the big missing piece to our offense.

I understood your point but in my opinion it's a moot one as there's no way the Packers acquire any player with that much talent at this point in the season.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe we can trade for Trevor Davis?

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard has been awesome, I can't say enough good things about seeing him play.

MVS we would hope continues to develop

But yeah seriously a "track star" type of guy who's "smaller" who can just "get lost" behind the safeties.

Cobb was a smaller guy but not as fast as Jennings at his prime.

This is basically what the Chiefs do with Hill AND Watkins

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard has been awesome, I can't say enough good things about seeing him play.

MVS we would hope continues to develop

But yeah seriously a "track star" type of guy who's "smaller" who can just "get lost" behind the safeties.

Cobb was a smaller guy but not as fast as Jennings at his prime.

This is basically what the Chiefs do with Hill AND Watkins

And Hardman and Robinson... etc. It's the type of receiver they want to fit their system. Hardman was a 6th round draft pick........

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could also use the old more mobile AR at QB....Barry Sanders at RB and Jerry Rice at WR...shoot give me Charles Woodson at Safety while we at it....

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Hardman and Robinson... etc. It's the type of receiver they want to fit their system. Hardman was a 6th round draft pick........

Granted I didn't expect Gute to draft a WR at all this year because of 2018, but I couldn't BELIEVE he passed up on Hardman. I knew alot of people didn't really care for him or Riley Ridley because they played at UGA(the Bears drafted Ridley in the 4th, guessing on name recognition alone but he hasn't caught a single pass). But if there was one player to make up for J'Mon Moore it was him. That really might bite us in the you know what for two years as our current Draft position is not looking good.

D

Deleted member 11740

Based on what I’ve seen of Hardman so far which is 4 or 5 chiefs games this year I’d be trying to pinch him at the end of this year.

2 reasons:
1) He has a great ability to beat coverage, good YAC and good hands. 2) He has good secondary value as a returner and a massive upgrade on what we have which is nothing.

From memory he had nice stats against us.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on what I’ve seen of Hardman so far which is 4 or 5 chiefs games this year I’d be trying to pinch him at the end of this year.

2 reasons:
1) He has a great ability to beat coverage, good YAC and good hands. 2) He has good secondary value as a returner and a massive upgrade on what we have which is nothing.

I doubt they'd let him go at all. He's cheap and offers a reliable backup to Hill for that offense. I think he would absolutely kill in this offense given the opportunity though.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2 reasons:

Why on earth would the chiefs give up a rookie WR who's 21 years old?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I certainly agree that the Packers should acquire some speed and YAC ability, but I would also point out that Sammy Watkins, whose name is in this thread's title, has been a mega bust for the Chiefs.

KC is far more likely to cut him after this season than they are to let Hardman get away.

Members online

Latest posts