This off season...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jnells said:
I don't see us picking up an LB (if we do at all) until the second day. I think that the OL & DB's need more help than anywhere. If we do pickup a LB I think it'll be through Free Agency.

IMO we're good at RB. If we do take one I think it won't be until the 3-4th round or the second day.

I'm sure we will take a DT. He will be 145th on the depth chart but will be "The Best Player Available".

Wow. Poor Teddy can't get any benefit of the doubt in his drafting abilities. Well truth be told, he hasn't been the best drafter. Good call, KGB, I agree with you now that I think about it.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe that everyone thinks OL is one of the most pressing needs right now. Until the Dallas game, we were top five or so in least sacks allowed. Something in that area. And with the most passing attempts in the league, I say that's dam good protection. Now Ryan Grant has an average of 100+ yds per game. That's effective run blocking.

I think it's a good idea to get depth there for sure, though, but I believe young outstanding talent is necessary at CB. Pay Samuel or D Hall to start opposite Al, move Chuckwood to Safety, and draft a shutdown-potential CB in the first round.

Oh, and a good SAM LB would be good too.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I can't believe that everyone thinks OL is one of the most pressing needs right now. Until the Dallas game, we were top five or so in least sacks allowed. Something in that area. And with the most passing attempts in the league, I say that's dam good protection. Now Ryan Grant has an average of 100+ yds per game. That's effective run blocking.

I think it's a good idea to get depth there for sure, though, but I believe young outstanding talent is necessary at CB. Pay Samuel or D Hall to start opposite Al, move Chuckwood to Safety, and draft a shutdown-potential CB in the first round.

I think your sack stat is misleading. We ran lots of quick short plays all season and have relied on YAC. Brett has not gone deep all that much this season which has really helped with his completion % and his low INT numbers.

It was the Dallas game that showed where are weakness was in terms of being tops in the NFC. Our secondary was not any worse than Dallas sure it should be improved, but what killed us was that Brett and A-Rod had no time to run the plays where Romo got to sit back and pick us apart. We have no depth and not much verteran leadership on the O-Line as well. This is why Feneca would be awesome FA signing, or heck even a Steussie or Ruben Brown would be nice short term to solidify the line. When we were the best team in the league in the 90's our OL was a much better than it is now.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:shock: It's becoming more obvious that although the coaching staff and TT believed they'd solved the "O" line problem, they've fallen a bit short so, defintely "O" line help is needed but also they have to be getting concerned with CB as both Harris and Woodsen aren't exactly part of a youth program any longer and GB must have some durable and savvy help in that area soon. I would still think a block buster TE is required. I think Lee is good and Hunphrey just a question mark. Outstanding; neither.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

I agree DB is a pressing need, but don't underplay OL. Grant earned his yards. I didn't see the OL opening up very big holes for him. Our run blocking is mediocre at best, and the reason we have such few sacks is because Favre is the master at picking up blitzes and getting the ball off.

Dallas exposed just how bad our OL is. If we want to beat tier I teams, we're going to have to upgrade our OL.

Now, OL and DBs, those are our 2 most pressing needs. 3rd is probably a LB who can actually cover TEs.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
jnells said:
I don't see us picking up an LB (if we do at all) until the second day. I think that the OL & DB's need more help than anywhere. If we do pickup a LB I think it'll be through Free Agency.

IMO we're good at RB. If we do take one I think it won't be until the 3-4th round or the second day.

I'm sure we will take a DT. He will be 145th on the depth chart but will be "The Best Player Available".

Or trade up to take a punter!!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jnells said:

In all honesty we should go O-line even though the first time they TRIED to fix it they failed. I thought we addressed this 2 years ago?

If not O-Line we need Secondary help

Prepare to be disappointed. While I'm not saying TT never does this, he takes the players he likes the most. His BPA is certainly different than most other peoples' BPA, but i think Ted has earned the benefit of the doubt. Furthermore, everybody in the NFL says that drafting players to fill your need spots is a huge no-no.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
jnells said:

In all honesty we should go O-line even though the first time they TRIED to fix it they failed. I thought we addressed this 2 years ago?

If not O-Line we need Secondary help

Prepare to be disappointed. While I'm not saying TT never does this, he takes the players he likes the most. His BPA is certainly different than most other peoples' BPA, but i think Ted has earned the benefit of the doubt. Furthermore, everybody in the NFL says that drafting players to fill your need spots is a huge no-no.

I'm starting to understand TT's thinking more and more. If I'm not mistaken, his BPA is a hybrid. As much as he says BPA, he means BPA of our list of needs.

EDIT: I should really expand on that. For instance, he might say we need a S, CB, LB, TE, OT, G. Now, he'll probably take the BPA in that group. I hope that makes sense.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting a player is so difficult. Who knows how they will transition in the bigs? Look at New England there are a tonne of diamonds-in-the-ruff players on that team. I like drafting the smarter player when there is a debate between two guys.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would still think a block buster TE is required.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are no blockbuster TE's in this draft. This year is a horrible one if you're looking for a TE. I wouldn't be surprised if a TE wasnt selected until the Mid to late Third round from ANY team. Most of the TE's in this years draft will be taken on the second day.

The best bet for a TE is free agency this year where theres guys like LJ Smith, Ben Troupe, and Eric Johnson will be availible.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I agree that the offensive line and DB's are our most pressing concern this off season. The sack stat is somewhat misleading because of all the quick slants and such. Although, I do believe we were near the top in passes over 20 or 40+ yards as well. Either way, if Favre had the time that Romo had against a good pass rushing team, even during the blitzes, we would pick almost any team apart with our WR's.

I'm going to say we should pick an O lineman or DB with our first pick, whichever is the best pick available at the time. Who knows, if one falls far enough, I'd be down for picking up a replacement for Poppinga with our first round pick. That goes back to Ted's BPA motto, which I kinda agree with.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the offensive line and DB's are our most pressing concern this off season. The sack stat is somewhat misleading because of all the quick slants and such. Although, I do believe we were near the top in passes over 20 or 40+ yards as well. Either way, if Favre had the time that Romo had against a good pass rushing team, even during the blitzes, we would pick almost any team apart with our WR's.

I'm going to say we should pick an O lineman or DB with our first pick, whichever is the best pick available at the time. Who knows, if one falls far enough, I'd be down for picking up a replacement for Poppinga with our first round pick. That goes back to Ted's BPA motto, which I kinda agree with.

I'd love for the Pack to sign a marquis FA o-lineman this offseason.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Let's start a Faneca campaign.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
DoddPower said:

Let's start a Faneca campaign.

I'm on it!

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Free Agency could be a good way to sure up our O-Line with some good solid veteran leadership. Then we could address our DB's or LB'ers with the first day picks. But would we really want to give a big contract to a 30 year old Offensive Lineman?

I don't know much about him really . .

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft CB Cason, OT Chris Williams
sign RB M. Turner, S Mike Doss

DH - Do we need Turner? Grant right now is the 2nd hottest RB since week 8. I think we have found our RB.

I'll take your word for CB & OT, since you know college really well. We really need a CB, an OT, and we could use Doss.

EDIT: Another thing in favor of Grant - he's not getting the holes and that really is showing just how good Grant is. I think our OL is doing a poor job at run blocking, and mediocre at pass blocking. We're blessed to have Favre, who is possibly the best QB in the NFL at reading and responding to blitzes.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two words for TT this year...

(Free Agency....) :lol:

(The O-line and DB situation has NOT been fixed yet!)

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry man, I just don't think the DB situation is broke. Yeah, I want depth, but that's where the draft is nice. Besides Samuel or possibly DeAngelo Hall, I don't know that there are alot of guys gonna be available who are of greater talent than what's there in the draft.

And evidently the fact that we surrender very few sacks and Grant has averaged 100+ yds per game is in spite of the o-line. ??? :shrug:

We've witnessed what happens to good backs with a bad line. Look at LJ in KC. Grant's hitting holes. They're widdle, but holes all the same.

Depth is good, for sure. But I say the o-line aint broke yet.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's pretty much one or the other in the draft. Williams & Cason will both go before the midway point of the second round. If we DO pickup a OL then I don't agree with Fanaca. I think we need to pickup a younger guy like Lilja (Colts) who will be a FA this year.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score

First we need TT to understand what "FREE AGENCY" means. We need O-line help. Dump Colledge and some of the other mediocre talent on the line. Get rid of Bush, and bench Collins/Bigby and get some real NFL Calibur safeties on the field

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

DH - Do we need Turner? Grant right now is the 2nd hottest RB since week 8. I think we have found our RB.

I'll take your word for CB & OT, since you know college really well. We really need a CB, an OT, and we could use Doss.

EDIT: Another thing in favor of Grant - he's not getting the holes and that really is showing just how good Grant is. I think our OL is doing a poor job at run blocking, and mediocre at pass blocking. We're blessed to have Favre, who is possibly the best QB in the NFL at reading and responding to blitzes.

yes, i think we do. Grant is great, but depth at RB could be crucial, especially in Lambeau in December. Grant goes down, we are hurting at RB.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

It's pretty much one or the other in the draft. Williams & Cason will both go before the midway point of the second round. If we DO pickup a OL then I don't agree with Fanaca. I think we need to pickup a younger guy like Lilja (Colts) who will be a FA this year.

I am really hoping GB drafts Cason. His style of play is just like Woodson and Harris. We would have three solid man to man cover guys.

I hope Williams is there in the second. He plays T , but has great size and good feet. He will be a solid replacement for Clifton.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jnells said:
dhpackr said:

I am really hoping GB drafts Cason. His style of play is just like Woodson and Harris. We would have three solid man to man cover guys.

I hope Williams is there in the second. He plays T , but has great size and good feet. He will be a solid replacement for Clifton.

It's definitely time to address the secondary. Al Harris and Wood are getting up thier in age

Members online

Latest posts