This off season...

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is NO WAY Asante would want to come to the packers....think he's gonna wanna come here to play the nickel? Plus look at the outrageous contract that Nate Clements got...10 mil a year? I'd MUCH rather have Faneca for 8 mil/year

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im pretty sure deangello hall is gonna opt out of his contract this year.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a few points

1) we did draft a CB Ahmad carrol was our 1st round pick
2) There is very little collage football in england so who is cason
3) i Doubt we have the cap to bring in faneca or sammual
4) id like to see hall or Trufant
5) my brother latey went to america and said there was a QB with 25 rushing and 25 passing T.ds whats his name

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Draft choices

:-? Would be nice if GB gets a decent CB to groom for either Harris or Woodsen, and a S altho I'm more inclined to look at the OL first But as the draft position for GB this next time around won't be very conducive to getting quality players, perhaps TT will actually take a longer look for help in FA. Can't see the "O" line getting very nuch better as presently constituted.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zombieslayer said:
Krazygangsta said:
im sure will draft ol .... CB are deep in this draft

As someone who knows nothing about college football, that's great news. We should pick up 2.

Your telling me not alot of good CB's this years draft?

he's saying he doesn't know much about college ball, so he'll take your word for it.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OL, DB, OL, DB, OL, DB. We have 3-4 OGs who, according to MM are fairly equal in ability. That does not bode well for us since Colledge(of roller skate fame) is one of those 3-4. Of course, we can continue to lull ourselves into repeating, "...it takes 3 yrs. for OL to develope." or we can begin to hedge our bets. We also have a bunch of DBs who continue to learn, but ever so slowly that is, when they can get out of the tub and onto the field. When Bush is our nickle it's easy to see our needs back there. Collins has had one really good game in his career here. Is that sufficient for a starting S? If TT sits on the cap money again next year, he'd better have 12 picks again and hit on most of them.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my last Mock Draft I had the Packers taking Aqib Talib a CB from Kansas, but in my newest mock draft I have us taking an OT.

I'm projecting some trades in this one. *=projected trade
Also I'm adding the top-5 for round 2.

*Carolina signs 1st round tendered RFA QB Derek Anderson. Cleveland gets Carolina's 1st round pick.
*Detroit trades 1st round pick to New York Jets for LB Jonathan Vilma.
*Chicago trades 1st round pick (14), 3rd round pick, and 2009 1st round pick to New England for 1st round pick (2).
*Dallas trades 1st round pick (21) and 2nd round pick to Minnesota for 1st round pick (19).

I'll give a small explanation to the picks that people here might care about.

Round 1
1.Miami Dolphins - Darren McFadden | RB | Arkansas
2.Chicago Bears (f/SF, t/NE)* - Matt Ryan | QB | Boston College
Bears desperately need a fresh face at QB and have the ammo to trade up for one. What they get with Grossman is an athlete, but what they'll get with Ryan is a game manager and leader with enough athleticism to get by.
3.New York Jets - Chris Long | DE | Virginia
Jets need to add playmakers to the defense and Long is rumored to be around 282 pounds right now. In the Jets' 3-4, he could go from DE to OLB to ILB. In the 4-3 he could go from DE to UT. In the end, Long is a versatile playmaker that could just as easily go #1 if not for McFadden.
4.Atlanta Falcons - Jonathan Stewart | RB | Oregon
5.St. Louis Rams - Michael Oher | OT | Ole Miss
6.Cincinnati Bengals - Glenn Dorsey | DT | Louisiana State
7.Oakland Raiders - Calais Campbell | DE | Miami
8.Kansas City Chiefs - Jake Long | OT | Michigan
9.Baltimore Ravens - Andre Woodson | QB | Kentucky
10.New Orleans Saints - Malcolm Jenkins | CB | Ohio State
11.Houston Texans - Felix Jones | RB | Arkansas
12.Denver Broncos - James Laurinaitis | LB | Ohio State
13.Cleveland Browns (f/CAR)* - Vernon Gholston | DE/LB | Ohio State
14.New England Patriots (f/CHI)* - Quentin Groves | DE/LB | Auburn
15.Philadelphia Eagles - Kenny Phillips | S | Miami
The Eagles are known for having a good secondary, but it must be beefed up. Phillips is one of the best safety prospects ever and could easily go in the top-10.
16.Washington Redskins - Jeff Otah | OT | Pittsburgh
While the Redskins may not need starters at either OT positions going into next season, they could certainly use depth along the entire OL. Otah has the versatility to play LT, LG, RT, and RG and will likely start at OT down the road.
17.Arizona Cardinals - Mike Jenkins | CB | South Florida
18.Buffalo Bills - Keith Rivers | LB | Southern California
19.Dallas Cowboys (f/MIN)* - DeSean Jackson | WR | California
Dallas trades up for an explosive playmaker to give Romo another target.
20.New York Jets (f/DET)* - Phil Loadholt | OT | Oklahoma
Loadholt is a physical specimen that is very raw. He projects to be a solid RT from the very beginning but has potential through the roof.
21.Minnesota Vikings (f/CLE, t/DAL)* - Aqib Talib | CB | Kansas
22.Tennessee Titans - Sedrick Ellis | DT | Southern California
23.San Diego Chargers - Gosder Cherilus | OT | Boston College
24.Seattle Seahawks - Steve Slaton | RB | West Virginia
25.Tampa Bay Bucs - Dan Connor | LB | Penn State
26.New York Giants - Brian Brohm | QB | Louisville
27.Jacksonville Jaguars - Derrick Harvey | DE | Florida
28.Pittsburgh Steelers - Ryan Clady | OT | Boise State
29.Green Bay Packers - Chris Williams | OT | Vanderbilt
Very athletic OT that will start at LT down the line.
30.San Francisco 49ers (f/IND) - Dre Moore | DT/DE | Maryland
Versatile DL that could have a Haloti Ngata-like role with the 'Niners.
31.Dallas Cowboys - Reggie Smith | CB | Oklahoma
Versatile DB that could play anywhere.
32. New England Patriots - Forfeited (Spygate)

Round 2
1.Miami Dolphins - Lawrence Jackson | DE | Southern California
2.San Francisco 49ers - Malcolm Kelly | WR | Oklahoma
Big target at WR for whoever the QB will be in the future.
3.New York Jets - Chris Ellis | DE/LB | Virginia Tech
Deadly pass-rusher that has a knack for getting to the QB.
4.Atlanta Falcons - Erik Ainge | QB | Tennessee
5.St. Louis Rams - Adarius Bowman | WR | Oklahoma State

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a few points

1) we did draft a CB Ahmad carrol was our 1st round pick
2) There is very little collage football in england so who is cason
3) i Doubt we have the cap to bring in faneca or sammual
4) id like to see hall or Trufant
5) my brother latey went to america and said there was a QB with 25 rushing and 25 passing T.ds whats his name

Ahmad Carrol is no longer on the team. Cason is Antoine Cason http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=14970 one of the best cornerbacks in the draft, out of the U of Arizona. Tim Tebow is the man's name you're looking for, from Florida, but I don't believe he has 20 rushing TD's

Reaction score
About RBs, if Ted wanted to do something to sure up the position, there are a couple of RBs I wouldn't mind seeing in Green and Gold: Justin Fargas and Derrick Ward. Both are unrestricted free agents, and both players have performed this season. IMO Fargas is particularly interesting, I think he'd be a great fit in GB.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what will happen:

1. We will pick up 2-3 FAs MAX
2. People will *****
3. We will draft obscure players that people have never heard of
4. People will *****
5. Most of the new players will come through in some fashion
6. People will rejoice

Reaction score
I'd also like to see a LB brought in to compete with Popp for the Sam LB spot, and to provide depth if nothing else. Draft would seem like the logical place for Ted to get a LB, but I'm not really one for logic this late in the night.

I'd like Raves Lb Suggs to be brought in at least, I think he'd hold up real well at the Sam.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zombieslayer said:
Krazygangsta said:
im sure will draft ol .... CB are deep in this draft

As someone who knows nothing about college football, that's great news. We should pick up 2.

Your telling me not alot of good CB's this years draft?

No, I meant I'll take your word for it and we should pick up 2 CBs.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:p Perhaps it would be a lot clearer if we just list positions on the Packetrs that don't need improvements or upgrades? I would start with QB, C, and LB; after that I believe all the positions need some help. TE is another spot that definitely requires some upgrades. A Mark Chumura or a Ron Kramer woulld be awesome.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:p Perhaps it would be a lot clearer if we just list positions on the Packetrs that don't need improvements or upgrades? I would start with QB, C, and LB; after that I believe all the positions need some help. TE is another spot that definitely requires some upgrades. A Mark Chumura or a Ron Kramer woulld be awesome.

That's fine. But just don't hire a babysitter for a Mark Chumura type. ;)

I think we're fine on P & K as well. As long as we don't draft a punter in the third round.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to address the OL (thats why in my Mock draft i have GB taking an OL). We've had questions and haven't been able to get a solid lineup set in place all year, and now we're switching around coston & spitz, as well as taking colledge out of the starting lineup it sounds like.

I don't think we need to pickup a TE or RB until the second day. There are no TE's that deserve to go the first day in the draft anyways, its a bad year to need a TE because the selections aren't very deep.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to address the OL (thats why in my Mock draft i have GB taking an OL). We've had questions and haven't been able to get a solid lineup set in place all year, and now we're switching around coston & spitz, as well as taking colledge out of the starting lineup it sounds like.

I don't think we need to pickup a TE or RB until the second day. There are no TE's that deserve to go the first day in the draft anyways, its a bad year to need a TE because the selections aren't very deep.

I personally would rather us not pick up an RB. We are well off in this position.

OLs and DBs should be our main priority. I'd be content with a TE in the 2nd day.

Reaction score
chibiabos said:
:p Perhaps it would be a lot clearer if we just list positions on the Packetrs that don't need improvements or upgrades? I would start with QB, C, and LB; quote]

I'm someone who thinks we can use a day one pick on a LB.

Hawk and Barnett are set, but we don't have a great Strong-side LB. Poppinga is good in run support, but dreadful against against the pass.

Furthermore, our top back-up at all three LB positions is Tracy White. Granted he is a special teams ace, but if one of our starting 3 LBs go down we are in trouble.

Hodge should return next year, but his injury isn't a minor one.

Bishop was supposed to be a Special Teams ace, but he hasn't even been active game day on more than a couple of occasions.

We lack depth at LB, and we could improve our SLB position.

So I'd rate these positions as positions the Packers are well set now and for the future: QB, WR, P, K. Possibly TE if Troy Humphries can comeback and perform like he did during TC and most of OTAs this off-season.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Possibly TE if Troy Humphries can comeback and perform like he did during TC and most of OTAs this off-season.

Ah, forgot all about Humphries. Yes, if he is 100%, then we're good there.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see us picking up an LB (if we do at all) until the second day. I think that the OL & DB's need more help than anywhere. If we do pickup a LB I think it'll be through Free Agency.

IMO we're good at RB. If we do take one I think it won't be until the 3-4th round or the second day.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see us picking up an LB (if we do at all) until the second day. I think that the OL & DB's need more help than anywhere. If we do pickup a LB I think it'll be through Free Agency.

IMO we're good at RB. If we do take one I think it won't be until the 3-4th round or the second day.

I'm sure we will take a DT. He will be 145th on the depth chart but will be "The Best Player Available".

In all honesty we should go O-line even though the first time they TRIED to fix it they failed. I thought we addressed this 2 years ago?

If not O-Line we need Secondary help

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts