This NEEDS TO BE READ RODGERS ARTICLE

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers took hits on, off the field in 2008 - JSOnline

Aaron Rodgers absorbed the hits and mostly held everything in, which went against his very nature. Then he braced himself for every awkward encounter. At the store, a function, an interview, he mentally dropped his dukes and prepared for yet another cheap shot.

Didn't we all remark at how bravely Rodgers handled that messy, painful transition of Brett Favre's departure? Didn't we admire his maturity, class and strength? Before we ever knew Rodgers could thread a needle 50 yards downfield or take 50 sacks and get up every time, didn't we marvel at how the man held his head above the sewage flow that was the summer of 2008?

But really, we had no idea. . . .

About the nasty letters. The hateful comments. The intrusion on his property. The brazen confrontations.

Two years ago, as Green Bay's first new quarterback in 16 years, Rodgers thought the only way to handle angry fans who still wanted No. 4 at the helm was to speak up but not out, to make people laugh and to take the verbal sacks.

Privately, however, his days as the punching bag certainly were numbered. He would not take the body blows forever. He was young but he was no victim. And so when the calendar changed years, Rodgers changed his own rules.

"I was really beat down," Rodgers said. "My teammates helped me out a bunch.

"But in '09, I just said, 'I'm going to take back my life.' "

Rodgers sits under a shaded cabana hut in the backyard of his beautiful house in the hills of San Diego. This is the kind of place where shoes are optional year-round. He's barefoot. It's July, and he just came back from his favorite week in the summer, golfing in Lake Tahoe with Michael Jordan and every other celebrity in the sports world.

He's in a great mood. He opens up.

This used to be a subject that was off-limits, that would get a "no comment" through clenched jaws. Rodgers will share it now, only because he was asked - again - and because he'd like to explain that Sunday armor does come off.

And he heard those boos at that first Favre-less practice in 2008, the sarcastic rooting for the New York Jets, the hecklers every time he wound up.

And he felt those boos during Family Night, when he made his official debut as the Packers' starting quarterback at Lambeau Field.

And his jaw dropped at the kid who cussed at him.

He was often aware of the nasty comments on local and national blogs.

He found his truck keyed at Miller Park.

He read derogatory comments written on his driveway (although we must chuckle at that because it was written in sidewalk chalk).

But it was no joke when he and former teammate Ruvell Martin were harassed at a gas station.

The letters, well, there were too many to count.

"It was ugly," Packers receiver Greg Jennings said. "They didn't always mean harm. But it was very harmful, what they were doing.

"I remember this one lady saying, 'I'm a Favre fan. I don't dislike Aaron; I just don't like the fact that he's our quarterback.'

"I was like, are you serious right now? This guy hasn't done anything! He didn't ask to be here. He didn't ask to get drafted by the Packers. He didn't ask to be behind a future Hall of Famer. He didn't ask Brett to leave."

Rodgers didn't tell most of his teammates what he was experiencing, and two years later most of them still don't know.

"I heard and saw the fans say things. I heard things at practice. Fans are not always nice," running back Ryan Grant said. "Aaron kept that to himself as much as possible."

Even in the sanctity of his home in Green Bay, Rodgers could not escape the jabs.

"It was all the stuff that was said on TV," receiver James Jones said. "The guy took so much heat on TV and I mean, you watch ESPN, you watch NFL Network, and everybody is just saying bad things about you. That's tough to deal with."

Even as Rodgers kept it to himself, the Packers who once blocked and bled for Favre clamored to support Rodgers because they could sense he needed it.

"The more moral support he got from us, that other stuff kind of fell on deaf ears," Jennings said. "Well . . . deaf ears . . . we still heard it. But he handled it better than anyone with some of the most pressure you can have. Yeah, that was ridiculous.

"It was very disappointing to me to hear those boos. You want to boo the guy who is supposed to lead you to a Super Bowl someday? It was very disappointing, but at the same time we knew we had to support him. We kind of took ownership. We had to make plays. We have to make plays for this man."

Buoyed by their support and mentally strong already after a lifetime of being overlooked, Rodgers put up a front for the public. He said most of the right things. He threw for 4,000 yards. He fought off injury. He played well and faced his critics.

But remember the grunge hair? No accident. Everything Rodgers does, even down to his physical appearance, has a purpose and so did that beach-bum look.

"I don't take myself too seriously. I grow my hair out, grow a mustache in training camp. It's for comic relief," Rodgers said.

It was, in part, a way to get all the guys on the team to at least laugh with him and maybe that would lead to unity.

"Well that's my secret. It's not going to be a secret anymore obviously," Rodgers said. "There's not many things that I do that aren't thought out. I'm not just a whimsical person. If more people are going to talk about my mustache than Brett Favre in 2008, that's a win for me. It's not like I just woke up one day, 'Oh, I am going to do this.' "

Whenever possible, Rodgers flashed a disguising grin. But by the end of the year, he'd heard enough.

"People have some funny ways of trying to get under my skin," Rodgers said. "The common one is just comparing me to Brett. Which . . . it doesn't affect me. It doesn't affect me at all.

"I don't want to be him.

"I just got to a point where I couldn't not do something about it. It hurts when I open my car door and a guy yells 'F you' to me. You just hold all that in, and I have a hard time holding all that in."

In the end, that 2008 season was a mixed bag. Rodgers played well but the Packers finished with a 6-10 record. At least the world could put the transition in the rearview mirror.

"I said, 'I'm going to take back the normalcy that I want,' " Rodgers said. "In '08, I didn't really do much, I didn't go out much. But in '09 I was like, whether we win, lose, whether we're terrible or I'm terrible or whether I play well, I've got to be myself. I'm going to go to the restaurants I want to go to, go to the store when I need to."

Last year, the 11-5 Packers went to the playoffs and Rodgers played brilliantly. He had once vowed to turn the Family Night boos into cheers, and he did it.

"I couldn't think of anybody just going about his business better than Aaron," Grant said. "I bet it just motivated him even more. He played with a chip on his shoulder."

Now seen as a quarterback in his own right, and not Favre's replacement - which is really all he wanted - Rodgers also has allowed his outspoken side to come out. Now that he truly feels like the leader of a strong and proud franchise, the strong and proud son of Chico, Calif., often shares his viewpoints on wide-ranging topics, from urging former teammate Aaron Kampman to embrace the new 3-4 defense, to critiquing football TV commentators to even telling someone on Twitter to get a life and get out of his.

Rodgers almost always has a thought on any issue. That's not new. He just feels comfortable expressing it now.

Of course, he must choose his battles. Rodgers started to tell another story but stopped, explaining that he's not looking for pity. Then he seems like he doesn't want to get into it.

He's nudged.

While Rodgers was golfing in Tahoe, a fan lashed out.

"A guy said he hopes I break my F-ing leg this year because I didn't sign his jersey," Rodgers said.

Rodgers paused, for such a long time it seemed only the birds in the palm trees were going to continue.

"How does that not affect you? I mean, it affects me big-time," Rodgers said. "I can't believe that guy had the audacity to say that to me. And he only did it because there's a gate between us and there are 200 witnesses if I were to punch his lights out.

"What kind of person says that, in general, in life? Saying something inappropriate because I can't punch you back or I can't do anything because I'm a public figure and you can sue me?"

He adjusts his aviator sunglasses and for a second the irritated anger in his eyes is unmistakable.

"In no way did I tell the stories of '08 to try and draw any sympathy from anybody," Rodgers said. "More to draw an awareness of the fact that we're people first. And, how ridiculous is this.

"I have gotten to the point where I don't feel like I should be just a punching bag that can't punch back. If someone says something highly inappropriate, then there's no reason I shouldn't respond. It's ridiculous."

The subject is changed. There are 9 million stories to share in the life of 26-year-old Aaron Rodgers. This was just one chapter. It has been told and it's over.

Rodgers reclines, grins and relaxes again, but that body language is deceiving. He is tougher than ever and ready for any fight.

"A lot of people were partial to Brett Favre and rightfully so," cornerback Charles Woodson said. "That's just them stating their loyalty to Brett. But I knew once Aaron started playing, that wouldn't matter.

"And I think it's over. It's done with. This is his time."

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why Aaron Rodgers has more class than Brett Favre ever will.

People who did the things he talks about arent real Packer fans, they are people with serious problems.

As far as family night he played his worst game and it looked like he had no idea what he was doing so I dont blame anyone for booing that night. Players get paid alot of money, and it comes with the territory.

The PowerOfCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any Aaron Rodgers haters should just ****. The man is, not will be, is one of best qbs in the league right now. I was born in 1990 so I can't remember any other qb than Favre but I'm a freakin' Packers fan! It doesn't matter who is the qb. Favre fans need to leave. If you want to support the guy, cool. But leave MY quarterback out of it! The Pack is better off without him. I respect the man for what he did while he played in Green Bay but this joke of "retired. nope, unretired. nope.." is causing him to lose respect in my eyes. Aaron has my full support and did when he first put on that Green and Gold. This is Mr. Rodgers neighborhood. Aaron Rodgers > Brett Favre My raging is complete.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know i supported him the day he took the starting job

Same here. I knew there was things like that happening, but not to that extent.

I hate that pile of **** INT machine even more now after causing a rift like this the way he left trying to cause as much damage to the Packers as possible on his way out. What a drama queen *****. The guy belongs in a **** hole organization with true to the bone fair weather fans like the vikings have.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just the exact type of QB you want leading your team- Someone mentally strong who simply won't cave under pressure. He could have handled the hate and vitriol any number of other ways, and would have been justified in doing so. Hell, God knows I wouldn't have been able to keep my cool. But he chose the classier path, and for that he is definitely the better man.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I cant wait till a book comes out from a Packer on the team NOW that was on the team THEN

pluto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyone needs to hear this, NO ONE DID ANYTHING WRONG IN 2008!!! tt and mm did what they felt was best for the packers. favre did what he thought was best for brett. rodgers did what he thought was best for arron. people are entitled to there opinions and how they choose to express them. it's just unfortunate that some choose to be azzes when they express themselves. it' is too bad some of the fan base hated rodgers for replacing farve (i remember when fans hated jim carter for replacing an aged and tired ray nitchke), but they're entitled to there beliefs. do i miss favre, yes (i hope he does well every week and the VIKINGS still LOSE!!!), but i'm very happy tt was looking to the future when he drafted rodgers. you can't change the past, all you can do is try to enjoy the present.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I love this..

Not more than 30 mins after I posted this, the "owner" of Bretts official forum just so happens to post a feel good story about Brett calling a boy that is in the hospital

Seems to me that the Brett camp cant STAND any feel good stories about Rodgers

B4 anyone gets their "crocs" in a bunch

I think its amazing that Brett called a boy in the hospital...

I just find it very very very odd that 30 mins after I post this, Mr Owner of Bretts site posts a story about Brett calling said boy

firehire

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel really bad for ARod. My wife is a Brett Favre fan, but I am a Packer fan. Did it make a difference that ARod came from nearby Chico. Hell yes!!!! It made me proud that he was getting his shot at being our QB.

I have been a Packer fan since 1963 and I still have a huge spot in my heart for Bart Starr. Brett Favre, not so much. He is a drama queen, but he does love playing football. I will give him that much.

I got this picture of ARod in 2008. I cherish it because of all of the crap he was going through, he was still willing to sign autographs and chat for a few seconds.

Attachments

• ARod.jpg
    ARod.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 230

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know i supported him the day he took the starting job

I was relieved I have disliked Favre for 6 or 7 years now. There is no coindidence that the Packers didn't see another SB trip after '98, there were a few good teams.

I think PACKER fans across the nation had a quick jolt of excitement when Rodgers was handed the keys...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had no idea that Packers fans could be such A-holes and made Aaron the scapegoat.

I suppose with Aaron being a proven and good QB and Burnt Fart going to a hated rival both contribute to accepting Aaron even more so.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this..

Not more than 30 mins after I posted this, the "owner" of Bretts official forum just so happens to post a feel good story about Brett calling a boy that is in the hospital

Seems to me that the Brett camp cant STAND any feel good stories about Rodgers

B4 anyone gets their "crocs" in a bunch

I think its amazing that Brett called a boy in the hospital...

I just find it very very very odd that 30 mins after I post this, Mr Owner of Bretts site posts a story about Brett calling said boy
Where is the story posted?
It's not under the news section (Which lacks a story on the Viqueens losing to the Saints. How convenient. LOL)
Is it under message boards?

Are you suggesting that B.F. folks are spying on us over here?
And if they are posting a Burnt Fart feel good story to counteract yours, I don't get how that's relevant.
If their story is in a private viewing area such as this one, then what? It's just the choir that are going to read them.:amen:

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Where is the story posted?
It's not under the news section (Which lacks a story on the Viqueens losing to the Saints. How convenient. LOL)
Is it under message boards?

Are you suggesting that B.F. folks are spying on us over here?
And if they are posting a Burnt Fart feel good story to counteract yours, I don't get how that's relevant.
If their story is in a private viewing area such as this one, then what? It's just the choir that are going to read them.:amen:

Yeah message board and yup they spy

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
All it would have taken were a few well placed words from the departing #4 to help garner a little of support for Aaron. But it didn't happen. I loved Brett Favre, but he really disappointed me in how he handled the exit. He could have handled a lousy situation with grace. It's much more becoming a professional than spite.

Aaron's right, my favorite QB of all time is Bart Starr, but Aaron isn't Bart Starr, he isn't Majik, he isn't Favre. He's the California kid and he's pretty cool in his own right.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
The BF people really spy on us here? Awesome.

Now I know they'll see it when I say things like "remove your lips from Brett's ***" and "I have no respect for any of you. None. 1 player isn't bigger than the team and yet you hold Favre up like some modern day Jesus Christ. Well, Jesus wouldn't throw across his body with the NFC Championship on the line. David ****ing Carr wouldn't. So, I don't really know why you worship the guy."

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh BOO HOO.

Sorry I just can't conjure up any tears for the guy. We're supposed to FEEL SORRY for him, just because he gets heckled??!!!! Excuse me, but you signed up for that, buddy, when you signed that big $$$$$ contract you have. Grow up some day!!!

Look at how Brett fans respond

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this article. Before Favre became bigger than the game in his own mind, he seemed to be a genuine guy. I think Rogers will stay grounded throughout his career, like Starr has done. We're lucky to have him, that's for sure.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember watching the draft and when we picked Rodgers I was pretty happy about it. I knew that Favre was getting up there in age for a pro QB and we needed to get another groomed to take over when Favre retires. Right off the bat Favre acted like an *******. I understand technically its not his job to teach Rodgers anything or take him under his wing so to speak.......but Favre basically said he's not going to help this young guy or its not his job to teach him anything. Talk about a ****ing ****head. Rodgers coming in to Greenbay...........and into the NFL had to be scarey for a young man..........wondering what it was going to be like, and this was the kind of **** he had to deal with. Are the spys reading this?

**** FAVRE. I was tired of sitting on the edge of my seat watching a game (many times) that had big time implications.........only to watch him **** it up. Rodgers was more mature at 24 than Favre is at 40. We need to just stop wasting our time talking about a has been. :sFun_DeadHorse:

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That forum is such a worthless forum. Any forum that doesn't allow for some kind of debate or disagreement just can't be seen as legitimate in my mind, and makes it feel like it's run by a bunch of communists. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's hosted in North Korea or something. I also wouldn't be surprised if we learned that the owners patrol this website looking for articles to post about over there.

Oh well. Hopefully we'll be able to give Aaron plenty of positive press this season that Brett won't be able to match. =)

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That forum is such a worthless forum. Any forum that doesn't allow for some kind of debate or disagreement just can't be seen as legitimate in my mind, and makes it feel like it's run by a bunch of communists. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's hosted in North Korea or something. I also wouldn't be surprised if we learned that the owners patrol this website looking for articles to post about over there.

Oh well. Hopefully we'll be able to give Aaron plenty of positive press this season that Brett won't be able to match. =)

At one point in time I think it was hosted by the Packers even AFTER Brett was a Jet...I am pretty sure because I thought, how odd is that?? Not even a Packer yet they used their server and continued to bash the team?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Brett Favre was wrong in his actions, I do believe that we, as Packer fans, do need to at least appreciate his years in Green Bay. He did bring the Lombardi trophy home, and he only had one losing season in 16 years in Green Bay. And in those 16 years, he brought the Packers to the playoffs 11 times. And he was undoubtedly a very exciting player to watch. I just think the hate for Favre goes a little overboard sometimes, though I do understand everyone's anger. He did not help Rodgers, he was selfish, and he was a drama queen, but when all is said and done 30 years down the road, I have no doubt in my mind that the majority of Packer fans will remember him for Super Bowl 31, rather than his retirements.

I will admit, when Favre first out of retirement I was shocked. I thought he was actually done. However, when the Packers made their decision to get rid of Favre I stood behind the team and Rodgers. No player is bigger than the team.

Members online

Latest posts