this is the official Driver thread

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thompson certainly favors youth and I’m glad he does, but he’s not rigid about it. Signing Saturday (36), extending Driver (37) and retaining Woodson (35) and Pickett (32) are examples. There are 13 players currently on the roster 28 years old or older, nine of whom are locks or near-locks IMO. Again, I’m not arguing Thompson doesn’t favor youth, he does. Driver is an instance in which I wish he would have put a greater emphasis on it. The reason I think the Packers should not have extended Driver is his age and falling production and the presence of youngsters ready willing and able to take his roster spot.

While Driver was the surest-handed WR in the playoff game he hasn’t been over his career. For example in the Jones vs. Driver thread GreenBlood linked to a profootballfocus.com article which showed Driver had the worst drop rate of the top 4 Packers WRs last season. Jones has a bad reputation for drops – one he earned – but he was better than Driver in that regard last season, so saying Driver “doesn’t take a day off” doesn’t apply if the context is the 2011 season.

Here’s the link to Profootballfocus.com:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if you ask #4 who was his most reliable receiver other than Sterling Sharpe, he'll say Driver. Driver is the guy on 3rd down who will get the first down when you need it. Of all these receivers we've had Donald was the one with the least potential. He outlasted guys like Freeman, Corey Bradford, Ferguson, Jevon Walker among others who came into the league highly touted. And surprisingly he has not been driven out at 37 by the likes of Jennings, Nelson, Jones, and Cobb. And as great as Finley looks if he ever came to work each day like Donald Driver he'd get to the HOF. Recall how after the 2002 season when Driver played so badly bruised and battered going into the playoff game against the Falcons. He still makes a diving catch for our only TD in the snow. Most receivers would have taken the week off. Driver...hands, body, heart, and soul can still get it done.

dantastic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought that I'd dig this back up. Driver looked so bummed being on the sideline last night.
It bummed me out as well.

I know that I'm letting my emotions get in the way here, but it potentially was his last
game at Lambeau. Why not let him play? Jordy is obviously banged up, and the
dude can still catch like a ****.

Donald Driver is beloved to Packer fans, and I would love to see him tear the 49ers up
again like he did a few years back in the Powerball uniforms.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

12theTruth

Thought that I'd dig this back up. Driver looked so bummed being on the sideline last night.
It bummed me out as well.

I know that I'm letting my emotions get in the way here, but it potentially was his last
game at Lambeau. Why not let him play? Jordy is obviously banged up, and the
dude can still catch like a ****.

Donald Driver is beloved to Packer fans, and I would love to see him tear the 49ers up
again like he did a few years back in the Powerball uniforms.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I felt bad for Driver, I bet he wished he had retired if he knew this is how season would have played out. If it comes down to activating Ross or Driver for last nights game though I'd pick Ross for the special teams element.
I hope for the NFC title game to be at Lambeau so Driver can contribute.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously some Fans are upset about him not playing. All of them Fools IMO.

Kendra Meinert@KendraMeinert
And ... the more polite 'Green Bay #Packers Please Play Donald Driver' Facebook page has 20,000-plus followers: http://tinyurl.com/aop77se

Expand
'Activate Donald Driver' Facebook page asking #Packers to play No. 80 in Saturday's playoff game has 35,000-plus likes http://tinyurl.com/bdot4ld
Meh it works for Tbow. I doubt it'll work here.

UCSB616

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why on god's green earth would anyone feel bad for Donald driver? He managed to finagle his way onto a roster spot when he doesn't belong. He's the 7th best receiver on this team. He makes millions of dollars and has had a long career. Why would the packers put in a guy who can't cut it anymore? Or has someone seen something from him that evidences otherwise?

I've had the misfortune of meeting this guy twice. Trust me, the "personality" is all for the cameras.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Why on god's green earth would anyone feel bad for Donald driver? He managed to finagle his way onto a roster spot when he doesn't belong. He's the 7th best receiver on this team. He makes millions of dollars and has had a long career. Why would the packers put in a guy who can't cut it anymore? Or has someone seen something from him that evidences otherwise?

I've had the misfortune of meeting this guy twice. Trust me, the "personality" is all for the cameras.
I'll give him sixth, but that's as high as I go. He is nowhere near the man he used to be.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Meh it works for Tbow. I doubt it'll work here.

Obviously some Fans are upset about him not playing. All of them Fools IMO.

And ... the more polite 'Green Bay #Packers Please Play Donald Driver' Facebook page has 20,000-plus followers: http://tinyurl.com/aop77se

Expand
'Activate Donald Driver' Facebook page asking #Packers to play No. 80 in Saturday's playoff game has 35,000-plus likes http://tinyurl.com/bdot4ld

I tried posting on facebook activate driver page...Explaining in a nice polite manner and why there is no room for him to be on the 53 man roster..

They deleted it both times I posted it

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tried posting on facebook activate driver page...Explaining in a nice polite manner and why there is no room for him to be on the 53 man roster..

They deleted it both times I posted it
Yeah, I "liked" them just to see what was going on a few days ago. They've stated a few times that they don't want any "negativity" and would delete any such posted - repeat offenders apparently will be banned from the page.

Conversely; I was introduced to the "Activate Donald Driver" page though Donald Driver's FB page.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way I'd like to see DD come back next yr would possibly be Bennett's assistant for the WRs. DDs knowledge could go a long way. Deep down IMO DD knows this is his final season & will retire from playing after winning the Super Bowl

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

sad to hear you didnt have a positive experience meeting DD. Care to elaborate?

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they guy can still make plays, his only problem is the strength of the rest of the WR group. Still my favorite packer player of all and deep down i want him to see some action in the playoffs...
and i had the pleasure of meeting him too...very briefly. as a result i have a dd autograuph on a football i purchased in the packer pro shop. this guy is a class act.

UCSB616

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they guy can still make plays, his only problem is the strength of the rest of the WR group. Still my favorite packer player of all and deep down i want him to see some action in the playoffs...
and i had the pleasure of meeting him too...very briefly. as a result i have a dd autograuph on a football i purchased in the packer pro shop. this guy is a class act.

He is a class act because he signed a football for you? Pretty low standard for class act.

To reply to the other guy as well, the first time I met him he was a special guest at dinner on an espn the weekend trip I won as part of an espnla fantasy football contest. I was the only packer fan at the dinner and approached him to express my appreciation for everything he had done for the packers in winning Super Bowl XLV and for being a part of my sons birthday (born that day). I asked nothing of him and he told me "nice story bro, but i dont care. is it 9:00 yet, I want to get out of here."

The next day he was on an NFL live taping explaining how "the fans are everything to me, without them I'm nothing." Hypocrite.

The next day I saw him in the elevator and a 10 year old kid asked him to sign a ball for him. He told the kid to go to a "for pay" signing and got off the elevator where he embraced some other fans (as part of the contest I was staying on the floor where all the players were for the event).

This guy is a fraud. I'm not the only person who has reported exactly the same kind of incidents. Don't fall for the act.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a class act because he signed a football for you? Pretty low standard for class act.

To reply to the other guy as well, the first time I met him he was a special guest at dinner on an espn the weekend trip I won as part of an espnla fantasy football contest. I was the only packer fan at the dinner and approached him to express my appreciation for everything he had done for the packers in winning Super Bowl XLV and for being a part of my sons birthday (born that day). I asked nothing of him and he told me "nice story bro, but i dont care. is it 9:00 yet, I want to get out of here."

The next day he was on an NFL live taping explaining how "the fans are everything to me, without them I'm nothing." Hypocrite.

The next day I saw him in the elevator and a 10 year old kid asked him to sign a ball for him. He told the kid to go to a "for pay" signing and got off the elevator where he embraced some other fans (as part of the contest I was staying on the floor where all the players were for the event).

This guy is a fraud. I'm not the only person who has reported exactly the same kind of incidents. Don't fall for the act.

I gotta say that I've never heard that about him. Admittedly I've heard very little in the way of DD's fan interactions. That makes me sad to hear this story - I grew up idolizing his "on-air" persona I guess. Always thought he was a classy guy. Sucks to hear otherwise.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've met him maybe 10-12 times and never had a bad experience.

Each their own though. I've had a great interaction with Woodson and have had people swear to me he gave the raiders a bad name he was such a jerk.

TallPackersFan96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have stayed successful by staying young. As much as we grow attached to our old players we have to accept that in this game you have replace your veterans to keep the lines young and competitive. I would like to see him retire with full honors than to be cut, it could be the front office is trying to get Donald to take the hint to retire by leaving him on the sidelines.

My 2 cents

UCSB616

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've met him maybe 10-12 times and never had a bad experience.

Each their own though. I've had a great interaction with Woodson and have had people swear to me he gave the raiders a bad name he was such a jerk.

Gotta ask, did you meet him in public or in private or semi-private? That's the real distinction IMO. Publicly he seems great, or at least when other people are around. What was so disappointing was the way he acted when it was just myself, him and 10 people or myself, a 9 year old kid and his "people."

UCSB616

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly as long as they don't cause trouble it doesn't really matter to me whether they are a jerk or not when it comes to cheering for them etc. after several negative experiences with "heroes" I root for the " name" on the front of the jersey exclusively, or at least what it represents. They don't care about me personally and I don't care about them. Players are commodities, like bread or whatever. Pieces to achieve the goal for the organization. It's their job.

My anti-driver bias is because he was a jerk to me. That shouldn't affect other people's persona of him, after all, he is playing a character on tv when you think about it, the better image he crafts the better it is for him.

My big issue with these "activate driver" things is the packers don't owe him anything. He's not one of the 53 best players on this team or one of the top 6 receivers. That is apparent to the coaching staff. Fans expressing outrage over this are ridiculous. You'd think there was some statistical evidence or even game film from this year to show otherwise.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My anti-driver bias is because he was a jerk to me. That shouldn't affect other people's persona of him, after all, he is playing a character on tv when you think about it, the better image he crafts the better it is for him.

No worries man. I was a fan of wrestling growing up too so I'm very acquainted with the idea that what you see is not always what you get. It doesn't really effect my over all impression of a person in regards to an "on-screen" persona, It just sucks a little bit when it is hinted-at that is all it may be; an act.

All that DD love and I still scratched my head when they signed him again. haha

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Maybe the guy was just having a bad day when you met him ??? He certainly comes across as a good guy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts