This is how important the Vikes game is

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in terms of any chance we have of making the playoffs. Since this chance still exists we can examine how things stand can't we?

IMO the Packers need to:

1) Beat the Vikes. TWICE. See the following.

2) Win two out of their next three. (Thanks to the loss to the Bills).

There are essentially FIVE teams out there ahead of the Pack record-wise so I will start with the team with the best current record first.

Below the team I will the list the games that are "iffy". Games the team could very well lose. I know on any given Sunday but this is more of a look at the tough teams those in the playoff hunt have yet to face.

ATLANTA (5-3)
@Baltimore
Saints
Dallas
Carolina
Philly
**@Tampa could be an if because these two generally play each other hard and it is in Tampa.

PHILLY (4-4)
@INDY
Carolina
@Giants
@Dallas
Atlanta

DALLAS (4-4)
Indy
@Giants
Saints
@Atlanta
Philly

CAROLINA (4-4)
@Philly
Giants
Pittsburgh
@Atlanta
@Saints

VIKINGS (4-4)
Packers
@Miami (could they be coming alive?)
@Bears
@Detroit(Lions had them on the ropes in Minny the first time)
@Packers(Again)

The Pack NEEDS to beat the Vikes twice to have a shot at getting above .500 AND to bring the Vikes DOWN. They have the easiest of the above schedules to deal with.

Somehow we need to win two of the next three. After that we have a shot at making a run to the final game with the Bears. This is the toughest three consecutive games we have on the schedule.

I was hoping we would be more in a position of being able to get through these games 1-2 but we have lost three games we shouldn't have lost so now we need to step up and get a couple of big wins.

With the best NFC wildcard team at 5-3 and a pretty tough scedule ahead this is not impossible.

This is a look at the playoff picture. For me, I would be happy if we would continue to show progress and just win the damn games we clearly outplay our opponents. Whatever else happens is a plus.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but at 3-5 right now it's about improving the play of the talent you have. It's about smart play calling and not putting your QB in a spot to embarrass himself and give him a chance to look like the great QB he has always been. So here is the deal with Sunday's game. It is no more important than any other game because we're not really in a race for anything. Let's just keep getting better and let's see where we are at the end of the season.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least, of those 5 teams, 4 of them are playing round-robin with each other. That could be good as it should end up as 2 or more losses for some of them.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're playing for improving but if we would of beat the Bills we would of actually been right in the mix. Now we'll have a hard time with the upcoming schedule

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with warhawk and like his analysis. If you can't look forward to the playoffs then the season is a waste. Doesn't mean we have to be in them but at least compete for a spot. If we can say we are competing for the playoffs every week it is much more enjoyable. The thing is you never know what is going to happen. Miami wouldn't have been considered an "iffy" game at Chicago.

warhawk put alot of time into this so I feel a need to respond in some way. I'll take Philly since I know them well. You've got philly with 5 more iffy games. If they win 3 that would give them 6 losses, however, they also play Washington twice yet, home and away. I think they split those games with Washiongton. My prediction for Philly is 8-8. Anybody wanna take on another team?

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with warhawk and like his analysis. If you can't look forward to the playoffs then the season is a waste. Doesn't mean we have to be in them but at least compete for a spot. If we can say we are competing for the playoffs every week it is much more enjoyable. The thing is you never know what is going to happen. Miami wouldn't have been considered an "iffy" game at Chicago.

warhawk put alot of time into this so I feel a need to respond in some way. I'll take Philly since I know them well. You've got philly with 5 more iffy games. If they win 3 that would give them 6 losses, however, they also play Washington twice yet, home and away. I think they split those games with Washiongton. My prediction for Philly is 8-8. Anybody wanna take on another team?

I appreciate that Depack. I tried to convey that this post was to take a look at how the playoff picture is stacking up. Those of you that read my posts know by now that I, like many others here, am not taking the position that we HAVE to make the playoffs this year or I am going to be greatly upset.

However, it's half way thru the season and this is how things stack up to this point and if nothing else it looks like the NFC Wildcard spot will be a pretty wild ride.

As far as the Packers go they still have a SHOT which I see as important in terms of the progress they make. I believe they will progress as a team more while they have that opportunity than if the only goal for them is soley is to progress.

Professional football players are highly competitive guys so the LONGER we stay in the hunt the more we will progress as a team. It certainly won't HURT. Ideally, it will come down to the Bears game.

Members online

Latest posts