This is disturbing

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheating is unconscionable, gouging your fans is disturbing, this is just business. All it means is the GBP don't draft or trade for First Round WRs.

I'm real new here, do we get a lot of trolls?
you might think so, but I think some of them are serious unfortunately.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you might think so, but I think some of them are serious unfortunately.
LOL Mondio. Overall, I would say the “chronic” trolls are only a few, and by that I mean people who will disagree with any opinion you express, like “the sky is blue” - “no it’s not, it’s cloudy today.” That kinda thing.

Generally, it’s much better than other chat sites, and the moderators do an excellent job.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers could've qualified for Marine Sniper school with the accuracy he exhibited from around week 12 of the 2010 season through the 2011 season. You didn't need much else...and yes if you have to win 4 playoff games all away from home you did back in to a superbowl.
Winning 4 playoff games all away from home is exactly the opposite of backing into a Super bowl. WTH are you smoking ?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning 4 playoff games all away from home is exactly the opposite of backing into a Super bowl. WTH are you smoking ?
with as dramatic as the effects seem to be i'd say the good stuff, but as dramatic as they seem to be in a particular direction, maybe it's bad good stuff.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's do another exercise for fun.

Forget about just the 1st round selections, or lack thereof.

Even Ted Thompson, who people like to bang on, took a WR in the 2nd round every 3rd year in the Rodgers era. Took Nelson in 2008, Cobb in 2011, Adams in 2014. He at least felt the need to keep position group strong with at the least a 2nd round investment in three year increments. That ran out in his last draft though (2017). Though after 2016's embarrassing defensive performance in the championship game, and given that Nelson, Cobb, Davante all returned, it was a reasonable decision.

And to Thompson's credit, he nailed all three draft picks. We can argue how much of that credit pie should be split between McCarthy's system, Rodgers and his ability to operate it, and Thompson identifying the talent. Regardless though, all three worked out.

Since 2014, we've invested a third, a fourth, (3)fifths, a sixth, and a seventh rounder. These names include Ty Montgomery, J'Mon Moore, DeAngelo Yancy, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Trevor Davis, Equanimeous St. Brown, and Malachi Dupre (in order of round taken). Five of these guys are not on the team anymore.

Though there have been some later round standouts in recent years, the odds aren't great when you take wide receivers in later rounds. Of course you could say the same for just about all position groups. The fact that Gute has failed to select even one receiver in the rounds 1 thru 3 in three drafts now, to me, is an inexcusable form of neglect.

That's why it drives me insane when some either fail to acknowledge, or brush to the side, the fact that the cupboard is more bare at wide receiver now than at any other time in the Rodgers era. A lot of that has to do with the failure to commit a legitimate resource or two to make sure that didn't happen.

Again. I really like Brian Gutekunst. What he's been able to do in a short amount of time is commendable, and he deserves credit for that. But the Packers bread is buttered by making sure that Aaron Rodgers has the resources needed to make the passing game elite.

Rodgers isn't quite the same player as he once was. Though the drop-off isn't as dramatic as some like to argue. But as he ages, he's only going to continue a slight regression. Just like any other quarterback past their prime years.

So now, more than ever, it's important to make sure that he has weapons. Instead, he has the worst group of WR's since he's been the starter. I just cannot support that level of logic. And investing a 1st and a 4th in Love just makes it all that much worse.
Your points are all good and spot on. TT’s “draft and develop” philosophy worked well with Nelson, Cobb, and Adams. But to work, draft and develop requires consistent, solid drafts where two or three (or more) draftees eventually turn into starters. Yes, surprises have been found in later rounds (to me that’s rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7) but the odds are better with people picked in the first 3 rounds.

I’ve always felt that FA was a necessary tool to build a team because draft and develop was not infallible. Gluten used FA well last year. And that makes this draft all the more puzzling. I will except Dillon. I think that’s a wise pick because he can 1) probably contribute immediately, 2) he provides insurance if Jones demands $15 mil/year after this season, and 3) he fits the MLF heavy-run, RPO scheme.

And this has been repeated ad nauseum, but in the richest WR draft in memory, Gluten could have found a way to get a WR - in the draft - not the UDFA market.

Anyway, that’s puzzling. Maybe Gluten’s reasoning is right - their “guy” was gone by the time they picked. Such is the fate of having a good season and drafting late. That doesn’t explain picking up, much less trading up to get Love. I hope I’m eating my words in a few years, and Love is the man. Doing it now just seems 2 or 3 years early. For some reason, Gluten LOVES Love.......

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listing the number of 1st round picks Rodgers has thrown to as an argument that he hasn't been given weapons to work with is not just one of the dumbest arguments you could make for that but its also attempting to rewrite history to suit a narrative

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listing the number of 1st round picks Rodgers has thrown to as an argument that he hasn't been given weapons to work with is not just one of the dumbest arguments you could make for that but its also attempting to rewrite history to suit a narrative

You sir take your logic and reason elsewhere!!!!! LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

It's a fact that the Packers haven't used a lot of draft capital to surround Rodgers with talent at pass catchers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I consider 2nd rounders pretty valuable myself. I don't think there is anything logical about trying to paint a picture in which Rodgers hasn't been surrounded with very good receivers for much of his career. And just because 2 great guys were here before the new QB doesn't mean he didn't get a lot of years to throw to them and I don't care if Driver was not a 1st rounder.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a fact that the Packers haven't used a lot of draft capital to surround Rodgers with talent at pass catchers.

Its NOT a fact that the Packers haven't surrounded Rodgers with a lot of talent during his career

In fact its intellectually dishonest

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Its NOT a fact that the Packers haven't surrounded Rodgers with a lot of talent during his career

In fact its intellectually dishonest
Regardless of this....

As I've stated previously, there hasn't been a 1st or 2nd round investment on a wide receiver since 2014. With that being the case, the cupboard is more bare at WR now than at any single time in the Rodgers era.

Now THAT is a fact.

Go back and look at wide receiver acquisitions in the past 6 off seasons. It's great that the Packers were able to find some good WR's in the 2nd round historically, and like you said, Rodgers has had adequate weapons for the most part, but the neglect since 2014, to me, is inexcusable.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Recently, yes.

For his career, no.

Preposterous, actually.

Jordy Nelson.
Randall Cobb.
Greg Jennings.
Davante Adams.
James Jones.
Jermichael Finley.

And those are just the ones that worked out, and quite well.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of this....

As I've stated previously, there hasn't been a 1st or 2nd round investment on a wide receiver since 2014. With that being the case, the cupboard is more bare at WR now than at any single time in the Rodgers era.

Now THAT is a fact.

Go back and look at wide receiver acquisitions in the past 6 off seasons. It's great that the Packers were able to find some good WR's in the 2nd round historically, and like you said, Rodgers has had adequate weapons for the most part, but the neglect since 2014, to me, is inexcusable.

And if "that the cupboard is now bare through recent neglect" was all that the original point was making I wouldn't have argued (outside of your use of the phrase "adequate weapons for most of his career") :)

However thats not what "We've never given Rodgers a 1st round reciever" is saying now is it?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
And if "that the cupboard is now bare through recent neglect" was all that the original point was making I wouldn't have argued (outside of your use of the phrase "adequate weapons for most of his career") :)

However thats not what "We've never given Rodgers a 1st round reciever" is saying now is it?
I don't have an issue with not using 1st round draft capital on WR's, so long as you make sure that the WR room isn't starving for more talented options.

Thompson did a good job of making sure Rodgers had good receivers. Gutekunst? Not so much.

Maybe that wasn't the original point, but it's the point that I am latching on to.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't say Rodgers wasn't surrounded by enough talent during his career but that the Packers haven't used a lot of draft capital on pass catchers. That worked out because Thompson made excellent selections on Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Finley, Cobb and Adams.

Unfortunately the team currently lacks talent at wide receiver and tight end because the front office has ignored those positions in the first two days of the draft since 2014.

Recently, yes.

For his career, no.

Preposterous, actually.

Jordy Nelson.
Randall Cobb.
Greg Jennings.
Davante Adams.
James Jones.
Jermichael Finley.

And those are just the ones that worked out, and quite well.

True, Thompson drafted skill position players early during his tenure as the team's general manager. Aside of Cobb and Adams all of the players you listed were drafted either in 2008 or before.

FYI the Packers haven't selected any other wide receivers or tight ends aside the ones you listed in the first three rounds of the draft since 2006.

Members online

Latest posts