This explains the Packers running game

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and no.

NO: In the modern game, sweeps don't work as well because defenders are too fast. The NFL just doesn't use them anymore. In a way, sweeps have gone the way of the Wing-T offense.

YES: You could say the Outside-Zone that the Packers (and Colts under Payton Manning) run is directly descended from The Packer Sweep.

The phrase "Run To Daylight" is a zone concept and works the same in the sweep as it does in an outside zone. Simplified, the let say the call is "Sweep Right" or "Outside Zone Right." After taking the hand off, toss, or pitch, the back moves to the right behind a wall of blockers. When a crease (Daylight) is found or created by the offensive line, the back puts his foot in the ground and heads for that crease.

No reason why it will not work now against most defenses....
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You need a powerful full back hard nosed tight end and 2 quick guards.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No reason why it will not work now against most defenses....
You need a powerful full back hard nosed tight end and 2 quick guards.

While in theory is should still work fine, in reality it doesn't. Wide running plays in general don't work consistently in the NFL due to speed of the modern defense.

Start with the middle linebacker. The sideline to sideline MIKE is everywhere now. As soon as he sees both guards pulling, he'd just start running. I'd wager that most offensive tackles won't have enough time to effectively execute the double team on the play-side end and pick off the MIKE.

Or if the tackle leaves the End sooner to make sure MIKE doesn't blow up the play, the fullback is now one on one with an end. The ends should win 80% or more of those matchups and allows him to blow up one or both pulling guards or the running back.

Which is the next problem, the two pulling guards. If that is a staple of your offense, I would tell my MIKE to shoot the gap and cause problems in the backfield. Consider it a hot-read blitz call. Again, the modern MIKE can make that play.

Next problem, scheme. In most modern 4-3s, you have a 1 technique and 3 technique defensive tackle. They aren't normally lined up head-up on the guards. I'm most familiar with the weak-side (away from the tight end) tackle being the 1, in the gap between the center and guard. The strong-side tackle would on the outside shoulder of the play-side guard (3-technique.) BOTH tackles have a chance to blow up the play. The 3 won't be able to be reach-blocked by the center. The 1 technique or nose tackle should be able to blow up his pulling guard and/or make the back change direction. You're going to have a bad time.

In a 3-4, the center's job is easier, as he doesn't have to reach block anyone--the nose should be head-up most plays. A good nose, however, will make you pay if you don't double team him. That is his role. Assuming he can do that, one of those guards isn't pulling, he's doubling the nose. The offensive tackles have a tougher job though. Most of the time, 3-4 ends are lined up right in their faces. I don't see them getting the release need, at all, to clean up on the the MIKE.

Sweeps are also a perfect example of my statement that, "on running plays, a 3-4 is really a 5-2." 3-4 OLBs are 'just' undersized defensive ends. They are also lined up outside of the tight end, making his job much more difficult that it is drawn up. The lead back probably needs to move his double team here, but he doesn't really have a good angle to pull it off for an outside run. (A much better tactic would be for tight end to block down and double the end and have the lead back kick-out the OLB, but then we're not running a sweep anymore.) And we haven't dealt with either ILB--the tackle didn't get his release, now both line backers are scraping the line, maybe one of them shoots a gap causing havok. Maybe the both just play straight-up, disciplined football. But we have two guys otherwise unaccounted for. Of course, maybe Lombardi had a counter, but we'll never know, as he didn't really face the 3-4.

Finally, we have actual playcalls.

What if there is a safety blitz? Corner blitz? How about an 8th man in the box? What if the defensive linemen have a strong-side slant called? What if there is an OLB run blitz called with their aim point right in the path of the pulling guard?

These things aren't really a single 'aha!' moment, but rather nawing at all the problems with the play. Quite simply, attacking the edge of modern defenses isn't attacking a weakness. (If anything, it plays to the strength, because stringing out a play gives the defense more time to react and flow to the ball.)

There are better, more effective ways to run the ball. The is the fundamental reason the sweep has fallen out of favor.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
We just need to draft better at rb...TT has yet to draft a guy that can replace Ahman Green.
Well the trade deadline passed and what we have is what we will have to finish with, teams out there better be careful when we r healthy again..................

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
People forget why TT drafted Green. He was a spread option runner. At Hawaii he took runs out of the shotgun and did screens. Everything a 3rd down running back does. He was drafted to be our 3rd down running back. He is being forced to be our 3 down back. I think we have to wait till Starks gets healthy and run him about 10-15 times with green working the shotgun.
Green also fumbled alot....

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I would like to thank TT for not trading for Marshawn Lynch a few years back. I can't imagine what he Packers offense would be with him on the team.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to thank TT for not trading for Marshawn Lynch a few years back. I can't imagine what he Packers offense would be with him on the team.
Yes, and let's also thank the Packers for not drafting Troy Aikman, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders....blah blah blah. Do you really get off on knocking guys down for the few mistakes made when they are one of the best in their fields?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, and let's also thank the Packers for not drafting Troy Aikman, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders....blah blah blah. Do you really get off on knocking guys down for the few mistakes made when they are one of the best in their fields?

He is a Vikings fan...So he IS HAPPY TT didnt get Lynch

Other wise Vikings would really have issues beating us

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of our running game, here's Kiper's midseason draft mock for next year. This guy for us just scored like 5 TD's Saturday night at USC.... and he already wears Green & Gold, sometimes.

Green Bay Packers

Top emerging needs: OT, C, RB, WR
Analysis: The Packers have effectively improved their pass rush from the disaster that it was at the close of the 2012 season, both through the draft and just with better play from guys already on the roster. That unit should continue to be a strength, particularly as long as Clay Matthews is healthy and can't be the only major pass-blocking focus for opposing offenses. Aaron Rodgers masks it really well, but the offensive line has been a problem again in 2012. If Rodgers wasn't so intuitive with his mobility and a master at dealing with pocket conflict, the Packers would be in trouble. They also lack any dynamic player in the run game, and could use a home run hitter in the way Randall Cobb can be in the passing game. If this team really buttoned up its protection, it'd be almost impossible to stop. Hopefully injuries at wide receiver aren't still an issue come April. Still, I'll consider a wild card if we drafted tomorrow.

Drafting tomorrow: Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, I completely missed that important piece of information. I really shouldn't have posted what I did. That context completely changes how I read Raptorman's statement! I'm a fool...

Nahhhh..Just didnt know he was a Purple fan.

I think most of us knew you werent aware

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, we have not drafted a top RB since Green.. Actually, we never drafted Ahman Green. We drafted Fred Vinson in 1999 to help cover Randy Moss. We traded him to Seattle where Holmgren wanted to help us by sending Green our way. You have to go back at least 20 years when we last drafted a quality RB with a standout college resume.

Members online

Latest posts