This draft will make or break Gute and Lafleur

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion both of these guys are idiots that have actively made the Packers worse and have done absolutely nothing to fill our needs. So I'm thinking if this draft comes back to haunt Gute and Lafleur(because it is reported his fingerprints are all over this draft) then his will mean their jobs and the fanbase will run them out of town. If we fail to win another ring with Aaron and stink up the joint and Love turns out to be a bust then this draft will the catalyst of their demise. I'm curious to anyone's thoughts.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You had to start another thread to complain about this years draft? The other half dozen or so weren't available anymore or something???

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, what will make or break them is how The Pack performs on the field during the regular season and playoffs.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute in 27 months has made an amazing amount of blunders that will sink the 3-4 really good moves thst he made This draft puts him in Bill O'Brien territory. GM's don't always hit it out of the park, but spending a first and fourth on a qb was a slow release and poor accuracy is stuff the Brown's do.

Unless Gary makes a complete turnaraound from his lack of production. He will have two first round picks riding the bench.

Who in God's green earth drafts a fullback in the second round. Dillon is a decent back but he massively overreached squandering an opportunity to add a WR. Other teams got better, the Packers got back-ups.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m just speculating here but if I was a betting man I’d have to go with “incompetent massive epic failure” over “brilliant strategy and flawless execution”

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You had to start another thread to complain about this years draft? The other half dozen or so weren't available anymore or something???
Nope the other dozen threads are not enough for this crappy draft. But really dude you posted on this thread just to say that? I feel your time would have been better spent in a thread you care about.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope the other dozen threads are not enough for this crappy draft. But really dude you posted on this thread just to say that? I feel your time would have been better spent in a thread you care about.
Actually I was debating the comment, merging, or locking this thread. I stayed with the comment. (obviously)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I said
You did write the topic name of this thread. That is what I was referring to when I said it is the record that will determine how long both men stay with the organization. And anyway, what you wrote about your own topic pretty much says the same as your title.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I said
He's one of the long-time moderators here, so that's his job. Ending the accounts of snarky posters is also a part of his job. Keep that in mind.

In my opinion both of these guys are idiots that have actively made the Packers worse and have done absolutely nothing to fill our needs.
How did idiots turn a 6-9 team in 2018 into a NFC title game team? Definitely idiots. You certainly can sniff them out.

People like you worm their way out of the ground every spring to blast the Packers draft, how every team in our division has gotten better while we've gone backwards. Yet, int the end the Packers have been mostly dominant in this division since the early 1990s. That's nearing 30 years of excellence! In one year, Gute and LeFluer brought them back to an elite level and after one draft, you call them idiots. You've shown your stripes.

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's one of the long-time moderators here, so that's his job. Ending the accounts of snarky posters is also a part of his job. Keep that in mind.

How did idiots turn a 6-9 team in 2018 into a NFC title game team? Definitely idiots. You certainly can sniff them out.

People like you worm their way out of the ground every spring to blast the Packers draft, how every team in our division has gotten better while we've gone backwards. Yet, int the end the Packers have been mostly dominant in this division since the early 1990s. That's nearing 30 years of excellence! In one year, Gute and LeFluer brought them back to an elite level and after one draft, you call them idiots. You've shown your stripes.
Being snarky isn't against the rules just like some people being a ******(ahem) isn't against the rules. I've broken no rules

How did those idiots turn a 6-9 team into a 13 win team 4 words Aaron Rodgers Aaron Jones. That's how it got turned around Rodgers was calling audibles every other play. And it's funny how you call giving up 37,41,51 points in the playoffs being dominant. Fans like you are content with the mediocrity I want rings, it sounds like you just want to win the north. Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest quarterbacks I'm the history of the NFL and he has been to one Superbowl. That is the definition of wasted talent. The Packers have not drafted one single offensive skill position in the first round in 15 years! Not one reciever I'm 15 years the disrespect is real

People like you like to slither out of the dark basement every year and act like our draft grades every year is A+ when its clearly not. (I liked last year's draft by the way) our biggest holes that we needed to fill have not been addressed whatsoever but like many others people like you are oblivious to the smell of crap which is what this draft was.

Explain this to me please. How are we going to stop the run? We gave up 186 yards rushing before contact against the 49ners and we lost Martinez and replaced him with and injury prone backup player so please tell me how are we going to stop the run.

We lost bulaga and replaced him with thin air so explain to me how are we going to run the ball?

Besides Adams our other recievers are Larry the Cable guy and Joe blow so explain to me who is Rodgers going to pass to when our run game gets shut down?

Fun fact our recievers last year had more drops (14) than touchdowns(13) and Adams was our only reciever with more than 500 recieving yards but you say this was a good draft. I am laughing right now that you think this draft was good

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is still ongoing. I have a history here of closing threads that I am working through. My bartender therapist is unavailable so I went with least harm until the bars therapy offices open back up.
I'm happy for you self improvement is always a good thing!

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we could bet. 8 and 8 is a tie. Since the end is imminent.
Well since you seem optimistic place tell me how are we...
1. Going to stop the run?
2. Run the ball ourselves
3. Have any type of passing game?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We did not run the ball poorly last year. Should be as good or better.

I think Sternberger will be an upgrade. Lazard should be better. With a good run/pass mix, we should be able to score enough and hold on to the ball long enough.

Stopping the run is definitely the weak spot. Against a normal team, we will do OK. Against the better teams, not so much. I feel better about Martinez leaving. He really only stopped the run 5,6,or 7 yards down the field. I think Rashan should be better and that could help. We have two inside linebackers coming off a year of being hurt. They might be able to help out. The D line...we have to add somebody. Hopefully add two from last year. Very weak here but still have a chance to beat anyone. First things first...the division.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did those idiots turn a 6-9 team into a 13 win team 4 words Aaron Rodgers Aaron Jones.

Explain this to me please. Besides Adams our other recievers are Larry the Cable guy and Joe blow so explain to me who is Rodgers going to pass to when our run game gets shut down?

Both Rodgers and Jones were on the 6-9-1 team too.

As to the receivers, I have not heard from Larry yet, but Joe said he has been working out all quarantine with Moss, Rice and Janis and will give it a heck of a try!

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being snarky isn't against the rules just like some people being a ******(ahem) isn't against the rules. I've broken no rules

How did those idiots turn a 6-9 team into a 13 win team 4 words Aaron Rodgers Aaron Jones. That's how it got turned around Rodgers was calling audibles every other play. And it's funny how you call giving up 37,41,51 points in the playoffs being dominant. Fans like you are content with the mediocrity I want rings, it sounds like you just want to win the north. Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest quarterbacks I'm the history of the NFL and he has been to one Superbowl. That is the definition of wasted talent. The Packers have not drafted one single offensive skill position in the first round in 15 years! Not one reciever I'm 15 years the disrespect is real

People like you like to slither out of the dark basement every year and act like our draft grades every year is A+ when its clearly not. (I liked last year's draft by the way) our biggest holes that we needed to fill have not been addressed whatsoever but like many others people like you are oblivious to the smell of crap which is what this draft was.

Explain this to me please. How are we going to stop the run? We gave up 186 yards rushing before contact against the 49ners and we lost Martinez and replaced him with and injury prone backup player so please tell me how are we going to stop the run.

We lost bulaga and replaced him with thin air so explain to me how are we going to run the ball?

Besides Adams our other recievers are Larry the Cable guy and Joe blow so explain to me who is Rodgers going to pass to when our run game gets shut down?

Fun fact our recievers last year had more drops (14) than touchdowns(13) and Adams was our only reciever with more than 500 recieving yards but you say this was a good draft. I am laughing right now that you think this draft was good
BOOOOOM!!!!!!
Bravo Mr. Solace
Perfect post on so many levels
However....Gute did a very nice job last year in FA and stocking starters via the draft....everything clicked last year, virtually no injuries to speak of , and every week they found a way....we were lulled into thinking we were a loaded group but in actuality we probably over achieved by 2 wins....whatever....it was fun and our FO looked like hero’s it was a great year that dispute shortcomings showed with a few key additions we might close gaps on the big boys
Storm clouds did appear in playing SF though ......as we got demolished twice
Despite going 13-3 our run defense was awful ....Martinez was mediocre but he was always playing and could tackle.
Lack of second and third option in receivers were masked by a effective Packer running attack that finally appeared
Rodgers was frustrated by poor receivers outside Adams and over compensated but still played well.
Fast forward to 2020 where everyone was hopeful that Gute would work magic again!!
Tepid FA efforts and now a screw-it and let’s focus on the future this weekend.....everyone (outside the experts on this post) did a collective WHAT IS GOING ON???
Total 180
Bad timing based on years remaining on AR contract
All primary holes (see above) ignored

Perplexing....insane....inconsistent...trend bucking.....uncoordinated

To answer your questions the best I could offer is that we have no one to stop the run which will expose our young secondary and force a thin DLine to play lights out just to slow people down
On offense we still have no second much less third receiver we can count on or make defenses respect thus increasing pressure on Adams, Rodgers, and our RBs to overcompensate.
A downgrade from a stellar RT who provided superior run blocking and pass protection.
No real upgrade a TE so we’re rolling with unproven rookies or journeymen still
......and to top it off we’ve basically told our HOF QB that were changing philosophies and he can basically go pound sand
Nice...... just my snarky perspective....I joined your club

Reaction score
I think getting Jordan Love at #26 was a gamble.
I also believe it’s true that we didn’t get the 5th best WR (or was it 6th?).

Anyway, the reality is that in the long haul.. getting possibly the 3rd to 4th best QB by far trumps getting the 6th best WR as far as value if they both become successful. There’s not even a close comparison between a starting level #1 WR and a starting level #1 QB. If they both play out their contract +. The successful QB will command a massive amount more of value in that comparison.

If they play average range? then i see that as a long-term contract “wash” because the receiver likely gets to production quicker (although Gute seemed to think the WRs left would have minimal impact their rookie season, which I’ll add factors in to this “win now” argument we all have in somewhat negative fashion). However, in that case, the QB enables the team not to have to spend mid round picks or veteran $ executing their contingency plan at QB each year and eventually starts and evens the raw production by catching up rather quickly.

If they both underperform to their ability (or bust) then I see a “slight advantage” to the WR because of the QB long term negative impact is greater than that negative impact of a Wideout. One could say that the QB position is more dynamic overall than a WR.

Those not liking this QB are counting on the QB to bust or near bust for a late 1st rounder. Gute is counting on our QB to either be average or better for his draft stock. But the main point is the reward of our QB performing is far greater than the risk of him not performing. Also the % chance is greater that QB Love (or the lost WR asset) will be average or better (the first 2 scenarios) verses bust (the last 1 scenario), by default.

I understand there’s no way to know until a few years but that’s the whole point of this discussion. None of us including myself or the GB front office will make an accurate summary of the result until we are at least several years into their tenure. This is mainly a hypothetical argument from either standpoint. Getting all worked up about it out of fear (anger derived from fear) won’t help or hurt an argument that takes substantial time to resolve itself. .. it’ll only create a false sense of short term pleasure or displeasure that’s not realistic in the meantime, depending on which argument you support.

There’s a very good argument to support that the WR we chose wouldn’t have came into their Rookie season in the NFL “full throttle”. So we’d be looking at 2-3,seasons before we saw increased production in that #1 or #2 realm at best.
I saw what Gute saw, that those first #3 to #4 consensus Wideouts had a better shot at that early success, but likely not draft #6 or #7 WR or wherever our staff had those remaining guys rated.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts