This can only help the Packers this week... turmoil in ARZ

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
From Pro Football Talk....

DENNY DONE?

There are rumors making the rounds that Cardinals coach Dennis Green could be out within the next 48 hours.

We're not saying it's definitely going to happen, but we wouldn't be shocked if it does, either. And if Green is "fired," it could be that it's something Green has finagled, just like he did in 2001 when Green and then-agent Ray Anderson engineered (by all appearances) a terminations -- and a severance package -- for the veteran coach from then-Vikings owner Red McCombs, who was shell-shocked by the speed with which the relationship disintegrated.

If the Cardinals pull the plug on Green, it would be the fourth time in franchise history that the team dumped a coach during a season. Bud Wilkinson was released in 1979 after 13 games, Gene Stalling was dumped in 1989 after 11 games, and Vince Tobin was bounced in 2000 after seven games.

The Cards have had a whopping 13 head coaches since the AFL-NFL merger, and a total of 42 guys have held the title since the franchise was founded in 1920.

In 2003, the Cardinals kept coach Dave McGinnis until the end of the season -- and then were forced to cut him loose in the wake of a stirring season-ending win over the Vikings, which knocked Minnesota out of the playoffs. That most recent experience might be enough to persuade the Bidwills that their best move is to move once they make the decision to make a change.

Even if Green survives until the end of the season, we can't imagine him coming back in 2007. No one has coached the team for more than six seasons ever (Jim Hanifan, 1980 through 1985), and barring a nine-game winning streak to end the season Green most likely will be gone.

Our guess? Green will at some point bring the matter to a head, perhaps by saying to ownership something like: "If you're gonna fire me, then fire my ***."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I would like this to be true....If there was a moneyline on this, id bet against it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't it suck if they fired Dennis Green and hired Bates before our game with them?

If Denny is fired this week, which seems very unlikely to me, the Cardinals would almost have to hire somebody on his staff as their interim coach. They couldn't bring in somebody from outside just a few days before a game. I doubt if any team has ever done that.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
often times when the HC gets canned the team does good the following week

keep that in mind ... i hope denny stays until after the packers game

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"We're not saying it's definitely going to happen, but we wouldn't be shocked if it does, either"

These guys are really going out on a limb aren't they? Now that's journalism at it's finest.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: This can only help the Packers this week... turmoil in A

"We're not saying it's definitely going to happen, but we wouldn't be shocked if it does, either"

These guys are really going out on a limb aren't they? Now that's journalism at it's finest.

I'm not a big fan of journalists, but these guys can't win for losing. One minute they're being bashed for being too "matter of fact" in their assessments, the next they're not being assertive enough. Cracks me up, everyone is a f'ing expert.

As far as the first part of the quote above, all's they're saying is that they think there's a good chance Green will be fired soon. It's not "definite", but their money is on him getting canned. At least they're trying to be honest and not trying to portray their opinion as "fact"..sheesh.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I live in Phoenix, only 3 miles from the new stadium, and the local paper is giving the Cardinals a rough time. They don't seem too optimistic re: Green's future. IMO, the Raiders game came close to sealing his fate. I agree that if he loses in GB, he's probably a goner. As in most cases, the problem is the lack of a decent OL. We all understand how tough it is to build a good OL. Ours is still a work in progress but is showing promise. The Cards line sucks big time especially at the tackles. I feel sorry for the Cards players but not for Denny Green.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack said:

I'm not a big fan of journalists, but these guys can't win for losing. One minute they're being bashed for being too "matter of fact" in their assessments, the next they're not being assertive enough. Cracks me up, everyone is a f'ing expert.

As far as the first part of the quote above, all's they're saying is that they think there's a good chance Green will be fired soon. It's not "definite", but their money is on him getting canned. At least they're trying to be honest and not trying to portray their opinion as "fact"..sheesh.

BS....everyone of their articles is either wrong, they steal from somebody else or they cover their ***** and then say...."told you so". They suck...that's my opinion only. I'm not saying I'm a "f'ing expert".

You like these guys because they are Favre bashers....so what? I can start my own website and pretend to have knowledge too...."sheesh" :roll:

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
The guy is a lawyer and has alot of agents ears, if you read is stuff you can tell that is where his stuff comes from... he guesses alot and just like other reporters... runs with one sided stories and such.....

But guess what his column does do... gets the big boys (CNNSI & ESPN) to chase his stories... look on both of the sites.... it is just another distraction for the Cards... Denny wont get the boot this week but his mind wont be focused on the game alone.... neither will the players...

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score

foxsports.com said its not likely that he will be fired any time before the end of the season.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack, I would like to say that PLEASE stop accusing everyone of hating Favre just because they disagree with you (ESPECIALLY when Favre didn't even have anything to do with the discussion in the first place).

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For what it's worth, this - like almost every "argument" was due to a lack of communication. DePack was ripping on PFT in particular, and I was defending journalists in general. I still don't know where how my loyalty to Favre came in to question over a Cardinals/D.Green article.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets just chalk it up to miscommunication, and not depack making stuff up and baiting you. we all have our days.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So....back on topic. Leinart will have a field day if Harrington can. We just need the same turnovers. I don't think Leinart will care much about the head coaching job, he needs to prove himself a worthy QB. I think we can contain James, he is much overrated.

And maybe it's just because I haven't been following sports that closely lately, but does AZ have anyone decent on D?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ They've got one of the better strong safeties in the NFL, Adrian Wilson. I'm not sure how he's doing, but one of their corners, Antrel Rolle was drafted extremely high a few years ago, and I haven't heard talk of him being a bust. They have a few very good defensive linemen, too, in Bertrand Berry and Darnell Dockett.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will continue to post as I always do. Did you forget about the ignore button? Yes...if we win 2 in a row we can strt getting our plane tickets for Miami in February (I think the SB is in Miami this year) :jumpsmile:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts