things ive learned

shanks2122

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from other post ive read ive heard alot about predictibility from last years play calling but i think this year is gonna be even worst in that catagory now whether it works or not is yet to be seen
I've always learned its not what you run but how you run it
The only thing is were gonna run a west coast scheme which gives players options, i know we ran a system based off the west coast but it didnt give anybody options it was straight forward and almost scripted to one player

The other topic was the line meshing together after a year experience with one another, has any of these guy ran a zone blocking scheme before that worries me with a new head coach meshing is thrown out the window, the trust is still their but with new schemes youre not sure where everyones gonna be

I'm likeing whats going on it this offseason and i hope it pans out

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
last year, we ran early. If it didnt work(which it usually didnt, cuz our oline was a joke early on)it was thrown out. enter: empty backfield, 5 wr for the next 3 quarters. It was ridiculous.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
last year, we ran early. If it didnt work(which it usually didnt, cuz our oline was a joke early on)it was thrown out. enter: empty backfield, 5 wr for the next 3 quarters. It was ridiculous.

You're right...and only one or two of those receivers were NFL quality for most of the season.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem wasnt that the Offense was bland. The plays were ill advised and were not effective. The coaching staff did not adapt to the situation and did not work with the tools it had. I mean 20-35 yard Chuck and Pray plays work if you run them after establishing screens and 5-10 yard quick outs to suck up a defense. Teams knew we would not commit to the run so there fore the said ok we will contain you with a four man front and everyone else in coverage. Left alot of space occupied.

To me a good coach gives what a defense will let you have. Obviously if a team is queing on your pass game pull off silly stuff keep running at them. Eventualy it will work and the defense will have to respond to it. I dont know what the run pass ratio was last year but it had to be 70% pass and 30%run for the most part.

Also a good coach does not pull the throttle back on a team. MS was notorious for this which I think had more to do with the unspoken rule in the NFL of not running up scores. Which I say BS if you cant stop up from scoring tough **** I am going to run my game plan.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not so much running up scores, as much as, how fast teams can score with the way the league is now. A 21 point lead at the start of the fourth quarter is not a safe lead anymore. Fourteen points up with five or six minutes left is nothing anymore. Of course, there would probably have to be a momentum swing. But the leading team changing from an aggressive mode to a conservative, protective, or God forbid, prevent mode invites that momentum change.

Reaction score
DePack said:
You're right...and only one or two of those receivers were NFL quality for most of the season.

Agreed. Only Driver was A class, and only Chatman had any heart.

Ferggy started out as NFL material, but by the end he would have been lucky to be picked for a flag football team. He shyed away from contact.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
tromadz said:

i feel ya.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All about wrote: Ferggy started out as NFL material, but by the end he would have been lucky to be picked for a flag football team. He shyed away from contact.

I think the just-about decapitation he received from Donovan Darius in the 2004 season has ruined Fergy as a wide receiver. He may come around again, but the new Packer coaches might want to make a change. I always pulled for the guy because he played special teams and was a very good downfield blocker. Ahman Green owes him a few suppers. Rod Gardner may make him expendable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts