They looked like they were fighting for their jobs...

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In watching the game yesterday, I got the feeling that McCarthy may have given an ultimatum to the Packers and the players responded with a gutsy, gritty, and inspired performance.

It does seem that the Packers want to erase the memory of last season...

As to how long they will continue to play at this intensity remains to be seen but this is a much more motivated team than last year and seems to be building good character to go on to win big games.

The Packers are back... For now.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well its common knowledge he was (obviously) not happy with week 1 preseason and let his players know it, and he rode their ***** all week long. And it showed in week 2.

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
well its common knowledge he was (obviously) not happy with week 1 preseason and let his players know it, and he rode their ***** all week long. And it showed in week 2.

That seems to be the main difference in Sherman vs. McCarthy...

I got the feeling last year that the Sherman team was NOT interested in trying to WIN so much as to play their best...

McCarthy is coming out to build a team of winning character... Something that the OLD fashioned coaches remember from the 60's...
Is McCarthy the next Lombardi? Who knows?! But last saturday night made ME feel optimistic.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes McCarthy reminds me of 60'd coaches because of his will to win and ride the ***** of the players when they lose

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if it was so much McCarthy riding everybody's ***** after last week's game as it was making moves like demoting Colledge. That shows players that listless, sub-par performances are not going to be tolerated regardless of who you are or where you were drafted. Amazing how much of an incentive that can be to others.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The Packers are back... For now"

you cant really say that just because they won one game.
last year when the packers crushed the saints everyone thought the pack was back, but they wherent.

im not going to say that until i see them play 2 or 3 more games.

but it was a huge improvement from last week.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I HOPE McCarthy did not need to give them any kind of ultimatum. I think it is way too early for that.

I think they were tight last week because they were trying to play mistake-free football (especially the O-line). Maybe this week the coaches just told them to go out there and let 'er rip. I also think they jazzed up the playcalling a little. This is a young team and it would not have been good to have them start the preseason with two bad games. They needed a game like this to get their confidence up, and the coaches did a little extra to make it possible.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what i saw in the game was a good o-line,i think as the season wears on they will be better brett felt comfortable with the up frount guys he had time to get the ball off,not saying they are great moll and spitz did a good job i think they should replace rogers on punt returns he was terrible.

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umair said:
"The Packers are back... For now"

you cant really say that just because they won one game.
last year when the packers crushed the saints everyone thought the pack was back, but they wherent.

im not going to say that until i see them play 2 or 3 more games.

but it was a huge improvement from last week.

I said, "FOR NOW"... Thank you.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was pretty obvious that the teams had different agendas. McCarthy knew that he needed to make a big statement in front of the home crowd after a bad loss. Atlanta just wanted to make sure they got out of the game without any injuries. I don't understand how anyone can think this game had anything to do with what either team is actually capable of.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it looked like Donald Driver was the one sending the message out there. He played truly inspired football Saturday. He was great and showed what a true leader he really is.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there was a huge improvement in everything the team did. I do agree that it sure seems that people are in competition for jobs. I always thought under Mike Sherman that there were never any consequences when players didn't play well. I think a team that understands that they have to compete for jobs is always going to be tougher.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
It was pretty obvious that the teams had different agendas. McCarthy knew that he needed to make a big statement in front of the home crowd after a bad loss. Atlanta just wanted to make sure they got out of the game without any injuries. I don't understand how anyone can think this game had anything to do with what either team is actually capable of.

Agreed that the teams had different agendas. I haven't heard anyone here actually suggest that the Packers are better than the Falcons because of this game. But it is always better to see a good performance than a bad performance. That's true for practice as well as preseason games. And while this game may not give us a good indication of what the Packers are capable of, it at least allowed us to see that certain players have some real potential, especially Greg Jennings, A.J. Hawk, Jason Spitz, and Tony Moll.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of the reason they looked better is simply because they had a game under their belt. Certainly the coaches said and did what coaches say and do in between games. I think the improvement can be attributed more to (dare I say it?) having enough pre-season games...

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You practice like you play, is the old saying. You practice hard, you'll play hard. If you practice to win you'll play to win. This goes right into preseason games. Play it like you're going to play a real game, regardless of 1st string 2nd, 3rd etc....Winning attitude starts now. Preseason games mean more then most give credit to. Sure they do not count in regular season standings, but having some physical and mental momentum rolling into the season opener will do more good than harm. Let the games begin and practice what you preach, just win baby.....and do not lose at Lambeau!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
You practice like you play, is the old saying. You practice hard, you'll play hard. If you practice to win you'll play to win. This goes right into preseason games. Play it like you're going to play a real game, regardless of 1st string 2nd, 3rd etc....Winning attitude starts now. Preseason games mean more then most give credit to. Sure they do not count in regular season standings, but having some physical and mental momentum rolling into the season opener will do more good than harm. Let the games begin and practice what you preach, just win baby.....and do not lose at Lambeau!!!

I'm ready to buckle up the chinstrap reading this post. I agree 100%. You play the way you practice and you take on the personality of your head coach. I think MM was much more aggressive and fired up in the second game than the first.

Members online

Latest posts