There's been a thread on him every week, but damn.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who else has been amazed by Aaron Rouse's development? The kid gets better and better every week, while Bigby continues to falter.

Do you bench Bigby for Collins when he comes back? Do you bench Rouse despite his tough play when Collins comes back? Do you leave Collins on the bench? Or do you make a totally new package that has 3 safeties on the field?

It'll be interesting to see what happens. His interception was a huge momentum shift.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins is still the starter, but you might see Rouse getting a bit more playing time. Considering he's a rookie and played against a pretty good set of recievers the Lions have, he'played about as well as can be expected.

Reaction score
I think Collins/Bigby is the starting pair when ever Collins comes back.

What to do with Rouse? Well I think Rouse may be of use in matching up against elite TEs, as the top tier TEs have given us problems.

Rouse is 6'4, has shown great range and good speed. Against the top tier TEs, he'd match up real well IMO.

Also, I'd never thought I'd say this but props to our DB coach Schott. He got blamed a lot last year for the poor S play, but he also deserves credit for having a rookie like Rouse ready to go. Rouse has held his own, and you can't ask for more than that.

So kudos Kurt Schott., you have proven me (and I'm sure a whole lot of other people who called for you to be fired) wrong in believing you were a useless DB coach.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol it really was all Manuel's fault afterall. :D

In fairness to Schotty there are alot of staff and players in the Packers organization who are proving people wrong this year.

Sangill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I for one really like Rouse and would like to see him start.

If it's instead of Nick or Atari I don't know - I just have a really good feeling about this kid.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Also, I'd never thought I'd say this but props to our DB coach Schott. He got blamed a lot last year for the poor S play, but he also deserves credit for having a rookie like Rouse ready to go. Rouse has held his own, and you can't ask for more than that.

So kudos Kurt Schott., you have proven me (and I'm sure a whole lot of other people who called for you to be fired) wrong in believing you were a useless DB coach.

I refuse to believe it... Rouse must be working with Washington and the corners.. ;)

But alot of the improvement in the secondary play as well should be credited to the defensive front and pressure, but I have to agree the secondary is playing better overall, so a reluctant Kudos to Schott. Washington is doing a great job with the corner.. mark it.. Tramon Williams is a starting corner in less than 2 years.. or at least starter caliber.

Back to topic... Rouse made a great break on that pick and played solid, but Detroit exposed the weaklink in our coverage.. straight up the middle 15 yards or deeper... Hope Whitten didn't see it..

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a really interesting topic.

What I like about Rouse is that he has good ball skills, and that's one of those things that players either have or don't have. His height also makes him an imposing presence in the middle of the field on pass plays.

I still think Bigby is playing pretty well overall (and the pass interference against him at the goal line was a bad call), but I've been less and less confident in his ball skills as opposing teams have sought to exploit the deep middle. I loved Bigby's blitzing ability in the preseason, but the team has chosen not to use him that way in the regular season, so that doesn't do him any good. He still plays well at the line of scrimmage. Rouse made a bad play at the line yesterday, letting the RB get around the corner, but that's a skill that can be coached.

I still think Collins and Bigby are the starters when Collins gets healthy, but Rouse is making it interesting. As AADP said, he could at least be brought in to match up with opposing TE's--and it just so happens that the Packers face the best TE in the NFC next week. For now, though, I'm just hoping Collins and Rouse are healthy enough to play--one or the other, if not both.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rouse = interceptions. Collins= dropped interceptions.

Good point. I will add that it may not be just a matter of Rouse having better hands. He has anticipated the throws really well on this two interceptions, so he's been ready to make the catch when the ball came his way. Those were Woodson-type plays that he made out there.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that play where he snatched the ball right under the nose of Calvin Johnson was amazing..

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My brother says rotate the three of them. I say Rouse and Collins, but Bigby could still be a situational run stuffing safety in that instance. I don't know, I like all three of them.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Collins is the starter and will be when healthy. I like Rouse, but I don't see the staff mixing things up this far into the season with a Rookie on what has been a pretty stout defense.

I'd like to see Rouse in there more, but just from how Mike operates and what he says, I don't expect Rouse to be playing much when Collins is back.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins is the starter and will be when healthy. I like Rouse, but I don't see the staff mixing things up this far into the season with a Rookie on what has been a pretty stout defense.

I'd like to see Rouse in there more, but just from how Mike operates and what he says, I don't expect Rouse to be playing much when Collins is back.

I agree on the first part. 2nd part I actually think Rouse will see more snaps now. I could be wrong but I have a gut feeling that McCarthy and Sanders are going to want him out their on certain situations.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I agree on the first part. 2nd part I actually think Rouse will see more snaps now. I could be wrong but I have a gut feeling that McCarthy and Sanders are going to want him out their on certain situations.

Think theres a chance they would move Rouse in as Nickel? Put Collins on the faster guy?

Reaction score
At the expense of Bush? I don't think they'd move Rouse to Nickel at the expense of Bush.

I can see Rouse getting more time as a dime back, especially if Bush/Williams are promoted on the depth chart to account for C-Murder's (Woodson) injury.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Rouse, since filling in for Collins he has made some great plays. He seems to match up fairly well against whoever he is covering. I think you rotate Collins & Rouse, and keep Bigby at his spot.

PS: Was I the only one to notice that Kitna pass was tipped at the line, and Bigby was standing there with it about to go into his hands for an INT, and then JARRET BUSH comes up behind him and swats it down. Bush continues to be the thorn in our Secondary's side. Bigby looked SO pissed...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bush is a #3 CB, and he's playing as well as i would expect a young #3 CB to play. he's made loads of progress, hopefully he can keep progressing. one thing i do know... rouse is NOT a CB, so pretty sure you won't see him playing nickel.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
bush is a #3 CB, and he's playing as well as i would expect a young #3 CB to play. he's made loads of progress, hopefully he can keep progressing. one thing i do know... rouse is NOT a CB, so pretty sure you won't see him playing nickel.

And neither is Collins.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

And neither is Collins.

i never said nor implied that collins was a CB.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
coach says collins is a starter when hes healthy. I like collins and rouse back there together though. I think Bigby has declines. And Rouse has 2 ints in 3 games, cant think of a safety to put together those stats since Sharper.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense was good with Collins playing. The same day Rouse took over is the same day we started dominating.

A shutout followed by two double-digit wins. I feel Collins should have to earn his way back on the field.

Putting Collins back in would be a downgrade as of right now.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
At the expense of Bush? I don't think they'd move Rouse to Nickel at the expense of Bush.

I can see Rouse getting more time as a dime back, especially if Bush/Williams are promoted on the depth chart to account for C-Murder's (Woodson) injury.

I read your post and I just can't help think, how many INT's does Bush have versus how many Rouse has?

Members online

Latest posts