1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

There Was A man Who None Of You Knew Existed.

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Raider Pride, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I like to think of many people here as kind of an extended family in a kind of silly way. I feel for all of your challenges, I cheer for your success stories. I laugh at your humor, I cherish your memories of Packer Football.

Today I lost my father. No he was not my biological father but he was a father that raised me. He made me who I am. I got a call that he died of a massive heart attack while doing what he loved, restoring his old Chevy.

Life is amazing. I am in a haze. I felt the need to post this here in the atrium just to sort of vent, but I also hope he reads this post from where ever he is. This forum is where I present some of my thoughts, perhaps he will find it, and read it.

I loved this man.

Just in case you do not know, some people spend their entire life giving to other people.

I am flying out of Miami to Vancouver as soon as I can get booked based on the service date. The airlines nail your *** for last minute flights which is crazy. It should be less money as they have an empty seat they can fill at the last minute.

I reckon my message to you all, who are reading this is simple.

Cherish the people in your life every day. Every Day!

Do not let tomorrow go by without calling someone in your life and saying hello, or I love You.

R.P.

2. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So sorry to hear that RP. Pretty much trivializes our past week.

Kindest thoughts from myself and Heather.

Ed

3. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear RP, and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

=====================

Side note: Check with the airline for "bereavement rates". Many of them will give a lower ticket price, but you have to show a death certificate (I think).

Quick Google search turned up an eHow article:

Step 1:
    Call airlines directly or have your travel agent do it. Bereavement airfares aren't available over the Internet. Most bereavement airfares amount to roughly half of an average last-minute airfare.

Step 2:
    Research last minute bargain airfares through the various airlines on their Internet websites. Some last-minute Internet airfares can be cheaper than bereavement airfares. Try websites like Expedia or Cheap Tickets as well.

Step 3:
    Gather basic information about the deceased, date of the funeral service and the phone number and address of the funeral home. The airline salesperson may need this information when you purchase the ticket.

Step 4:
    Remember that you need a copy of the death certificate or other documentation upon your return flight. Most bereavement fares give you an open return flight, which allows you to stay up to 30 days at your destination.

4. DGB454

DGB454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Really sorry to hear about your loss. You and yours will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Great message about cherishing the people you love. Life is too short. The only thing that lasts is the love we've shared. It sounds like he shared a lot with you.

5. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Condolences R.P., I have been there. Time.

People do great things in the wake of their father's passing. Be one of them.

6. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    RP, thanks to your article I reflected a bit on my father. We dont talk as much as we should and there is a difficult situation involved that we are working around. I just sent him a message thanking him for his efforts to stay in contact with my wife and I.

May be a small detail, but you can know that reading your post and taking in what you said prompted me to let my father know that I love him and appreciate him.

Thank you, RP.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    RP.....i am SO sorry to hear of your loss. :( I know that no words can make the pain any less, but KNOW that my heart and prayers go out to you.
    Whether or not he was your biological father or not, he was your DAD.

Anyone can father a child, it takes someone special to be a Dad.
    Again, you have my heart felt condolences.

8. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm extremely sorry for your loss. I don't know what to say and I don't want to say the wrong thing, I just know how hard it is to lose someone so close.

9. BangTheDrum

BangTheDrum Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't imagine... Sorry for that loss hope you pull through alright!

10. Mortfini

Mortfini Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Man i really dont know what you r going though right now i still live with my dad

Kindest thoughts

Alex

11. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My deepest condolences RP. Your Father sounds like he was truly a good man.

Again, my thoughts go out to you in this time of loss.

12. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    RP, my families thoughts and prayers are with you and yours at this time of sorrow.

Thank you for the message on such a tough day, puts prespective on life in general.

If we take care of the moments, the years will take care of themselves. ~ Maria Edgeworth

13. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    R.P. Sorry to hear of your loss.
    When one hurts, we all hurt.

Lean on us if needed, we are there for you.

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Amen to what Trippster said R.P!

15. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My deepest condolences.

I've always said there are only 2 things in life that truly suck - death of a loved one and bad health.

And a great reminder to cherish your loved ones daily. Thanks for mentioning it. I forget some days.

16. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    RP

My thoughts and prayers go out to you. No words can soften a hurt like this. Nonetheless, I am sorry for your loss. Be well, friend.

17. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Sorry to hear of this...hope you and your family can get through this.

18. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank You So Very Much. All of you.

I mean that is such a huge way.

R.P.