There should be an investigation or at least...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There should be an investigation or at least,,,

... a competency hearing if the Packers keep Cory Rodgers over Ruvell Martin!!!

Not only has Ruvell made the most of every mini-camp, OTA, and practice (he led all receivers in catches in training camp), he has stepped up to the challenge in each of the limited opportunities he has been given in game situations.

Last night he hauled in all 3 of 4 passes thrown his way, including a 2-yard touchdown catch on a lob pass from Aaron Rodgers. The only one he didn’t catch coming on a deep route in the second quarter after blowing by his defender and just missing making a diving catch on a poorly thrown ball. He has great hands, blocks well and knows the play book at all of the positions better than anyone other than returning long time Vets Driver and Ferguson.

Hell, he even came through when thrown into situations he had not formally practiced. Desperate to find someone who could field a punt, special teams coach Mike Stock sent Martin out for a fourth-quarter punt return, despite the fact that he had never practice there with the Packers. But being the hard worker this kid is (and remembering the Boy Scout credo, “be prepared!â€

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I agree. Martin definetely needs to get the nod over Rodgers.

Who's Big Legend? Isn't that a pc.com poster?

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he maybe a dimond in the rough,but we dont have the time to find out,he needs to hang on to the ball and ant get swomeone in the here and now who can :D

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
I agree. Martin definetely needs to get the nod over Rodgers.

Who's Big Legend? Isn't that a pc.com poster?

Yes, he is a football radio man, draft analyst and blogger too.

He does some solid work, but I certainly have disagreed with him on this one.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Canadian packer said:
I can't see them keeping C. Rogers.... That guy makes my stomach turn everytime he tries to field a punt....

You can say that again... Oh, I guess you already did :wink:

IF your stomach turns imagine the money special teams coach Mike Stock is spending on acid indigestion, reflux and ulcer medication everytime he puts Cory back there!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Brucey you love that pic dont cha? :p

I don't think so (and either does Bruce), but it is a great illustration of the problem that this kid has not been able to overcome. For Christ-sake he not only has his eyes off the ball -- if you look closely he has them closed. He is nowhere near NFL ready!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is another example of what I am talking about. Here is shot of Cory on a pass play. Granted he did not get enough seperation to have a realistic chance of catching this pass, but take note of where his eyes are.

This is a huge problem that this kid will have to overcome if he has any hope of ever making it in the NFL.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Maybe he needs his eyes checked out? I think Javon or someone had their vision improved with laser surgery.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Maybe he needs his eyes checked out? I think Javon or someone had their vision improved with laser surgery.

Special teams coach Mike Stock (who I have not been very impressed with -- in fact quite the opposite) brought that up to him early in camp when he found out that he wore contact lens.

I think it is a problem of sloopy fundementals, but having impaired vision certainly could play a part too.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Zero2Cool said:

Special teams coach Mike Stock (who I have not been very impressed with -- in fact quite the opposite) brought that up to him early in camp when he found out that he wore contact lens.

I think it is a problem of sloopy fundementals, but having impaired vision certainly could play a part too.

I'd like to see him succeed. Hopefully its something easy to fix. Although its probably too late.

Mike Stock, agree. Not impressed.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm saddened.......i had big hopes for this kid. Maybe he will be on the practice squad or something.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I'm saddened.......i had big hopes for this kid. Maybe he will be on the practice squad or something.

You and quite a few others cheesey. Unless other GM's have not been paying attention at all, I think he has a shot at a development/pactice squad slot -- but as I said he should consider it a gift, because he sure as Hell has not earned it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
cheesey said:

You and quite a few others cheesey. Unless other GM's have not been paying attention at all, I think he has a shot at a development/pactice squad slot -- but as I said he should consider it a gift, because he sure as Hell has not earned it.
No, he hasn't earned it. I wish he would have performed at a high level. But i guess you can't get all the draft picks right. Just a shame, a real shame.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is where I am confused by some of you. Whats the difference between Cory Rodgers and Daryn Colledge? It seems you have guys you like and guys you don't.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
This is where I am confused by some of you. Whats the difference between Cory Rodgers and Daryn Colledge? It seems you have guys you like and guys you don't.

Colledge is a young offensive lineman -- offensive linemen rarely come into the league NFL ready and in most cases take a year or two to develop. (Examples include Wahle and Rivera).

Rodgers was drafted to be a punt returner -- and he failed miserably and showed little promise of turning it around despite being handed the job.

This has nothing to do with favorites. I am disappointed but not surprised by Colledge. Further, you might note that Colledge has worked hard and did not go out and get himself arrested (and convicted) days aftercollecting his signing bonus.

Sorry pyle, but you are offering an apple (perhaps a rotten one) and oranges comparison -- it just doesn't fit.

As for Trom -- he writes all kinds of silly stuff with no basis of fact.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

I never said i didn't like Colledge. Must be someone else you are refering too.
Me, i always have high hopes for the kids the Packers draft. I hate to see any of them fail.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Good example would be Whittacker. He had his year and flopped.

Yup......i was surprised he was cut. Especially as weak as they seem to be on the O line.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
pyledriver80 said:

Colledge is a young offensive lineman -- offensive linemen rarely come into the league NFL ready and in most cases take a year or two to develop. (Examples include Wahle and Rivera).

Rodgers was drafted to be a punt returner -- and he failed miserably and showed little promise of turning it around despite being handed the job.

This has nothing to do with favorites. I am disappointed but not surprised by Colledge. Further, you might note that Colledge has worked hard and did not go out and get himself arrested (and convicted) days aftercollecting his signing bonus.

Sorry pyle, but you are offering an apple (perhaps a rotten one) and oranges comparison -- it just doesn't fit.

If Rodgers was drafted just to be a Punt Returner thats problem number 1.

I just think at this point in time Colledge has been more of a dissapointment than Rodgers. I don't care for either of them honestly. It's just easy to pile on Cory Rodgers because he was in trouble this year.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Bruce said:
pyledriver80 said:

I just think at this point in time Colledge has been more of a dissapointment than Rodgers. I don't care for either of them honestly. It's just easy to pile on Cory Rodgers because he was in trouble this year.

Pyle: I am not one to get into a pissing match with, but I do not see your logic. Rodgers cannot catch the ball -- period. Beyond that he has mediocre speed (a generous description) cannot learn the basics of the WR position (which fits his low wonderlic score) and is skinny and not very athletic.

Colledge flashes potential and shone in early camp. He is not ready to start, but he would be claimed in a New York minute if the Packers were foolish enough to release him.

I don't think you can say that about Cory Rodgers.

Reaction score
IMO, the new WR Carlton Brewster coming in and showing something cost Rodgers his job.

Before Brewster, I would have said the WRs were:
1. Driver
2. Jennings
3. Ferggy
4. Gardner
5. Martin
6. C-Rod

Now I think Brewster replaces Rodgers. I am interested in seeing Brewster field more punts instead of Jennings, because Jennings now being the #2 WR I'd rather he stay away from doing things that might get him naggin injuries, and that he stay fresh.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
pyledriver80 said:
Bruce said:
pyledriver80 said:

Pyle: I am not one to get into a pissing match with, but I do not see your logic. Rodgers cannot catch the ball -- period. Beyond that he has mediocre speed (a generous description) cannot learn the basics of the WR position (which fits his low wonderlic score) and is skinny and not very athletic.

Colledge flashes potential and shone in early camp. He is not ready to start, but he would be claimed in a New York minute if the Packers were foolish enough to release him.

I don't think you can say that about Cory Rodgers.

Bruce, I am not even trying to disagree with you, let alone get in a pissing match. My point is Rodgers has been a disaster just like Colledge. I'm not advising that we release Colledge by any means. I really have not seen Colledge "flash potential" but I'm sure he has it, but Rodgers may have it too. I just don't see the difference. They both have been dissapointments and neither have shown anything.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts