There are no romanticists among Sherman embracers

kemosabe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a great story line to have Mike Holmgren return to Green Bay and lead the Packers to consecutive Super Bowl wins in 2007 and 2008. Brett Favre could go out a la John Elway. It doesn't get any better than that.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not going to happen. If you recall Mike Holmgren couldn't wait to get out of town. He was so busy preparing to leave that he didn't get his team ready to play a much less talented Denver Bronco team. What in the world would make you think that he'd want to come back after the way he left?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why would you want him back? He hasn't exactly done a bang up job in Seattle, and I tend to agree w/ what ph01 says about the superbowl.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01...I agree with your premise but he actually stayed a year after the Super Bowl loss. He was so busy getting ready to leave he didn't prepare his team to play the less talented San Francisco 49ers in the playoffs.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This sounds like the guys here that keep waiting for Ditka to come back. That will happen when Halas comes too.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
It's not going to happen. If you recall Mike Holmgren couldn't wait to get out of town. He was so busy preparing to leave that he didn't get his team ready to play a much less talented Denver Bronco team. What in the world would make you think that he'd want to come back after the way he left?

I read some stuff a while back where Ted Thompson wants Holmgren to come to Green Bay. Holmgrens contract is over after the 2005 season.

Holmgren was in Green Bay recently to present Edgar Bennett with some type of award on his day. It could have been a move to break the ice.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK Steel Wheels,

Where did you read this stuff about TT wanting Holmgren back in GB? I haven't heard anything of the sort.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
OK Steel Wheels,

Where did you read this stuff about TT wanting Holmgren back in GB? I haven't heard anything of the sort.

I guess the Packers forgot to notify you...

I bounce all over the web and came across it somewhere.

We will all eventually find out.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny...can't state the source eh, Steel Wheels? Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Sounds like something you just made up. If, no, IF TT stated something like what you are claiming, it wouldn't take a whole of surfing to find it, don't ya think? 8)

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chase/Steals Wheels has been posting this and other stuff he makes up for about 5 years now.

It must be the water in New Jersey.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the time of the year where we have too much to think.

Ted Thompson though always keeps options open and can be a real tough guy in negotiations. He has worked with Holmgren many years and they will likely meet and talk socially at a minimum.

It will play on the mind of Sherman and his agent and will hurt their position on contract extention and strengthen Thompson's.

Not too much should be made of this. We Packer junkies will jump on any information this time of year.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would take alot for me to become a Homegrown fan again. He said all the right things when he was here, but in the end there was only one person he cared about. Need I say who, I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Chris Jacke.

Even if he came back and won the SB, I would be happy, I would be happy for the Packers and our fans. But I would probably just think of Homegrown as a hired gun and not part of the Packer family.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Packer G.M. would have made any statement about Holmgren coming back to Green Bay as head coach. it would have made the headline in all Green Bay media, All media in the State of Wisconsin, as well as the national media. And Ted Thompson would have been invited to the office of Packer president Robert Harlan and to a special meeting of Packer executive board directors. To explain What the H_ _ _ is he talking about. . A decision like that would have to be approved by higher authority than The Packer's General Manager . Remember the Green Bay Packers, Inc. are publically owned organization which is owned by 111,000 Packer stockholders, who are Packer fans. And Steel wheels posted his source for this Holmgren/HC theory: quote"I guess the Packers forgot to notify you...

I bounce all over the web and came across it somewhere.

We will all eventually find out" This is PWT 36 again Steelwheels, that is what you base your opnions on. Just as I thought, most of your opinions are based on surfing the web. It shows!! Aren't you located in New York state? Well, we in Green Bay find out what is going on with the Packers almost immediately. This is a small town, nothing remains secret for very long. Especially if Ted Thompson would have made such a huge statement, which he did not. I'm sure if he did, he would be invited to see Packer President Robert Harlan for a little conversation about Holmgren coming back to G.B. as head coach and maybe the Packer Executive Board of directors would want to have this explain to them. The final say of everything this important to the future of the Packer Franchise would not be a decision made by Packer Genaral manager Ted Thompson alone . Steel Wheels, as you should know, The Green Bay Packers are Publically owned Corporation. There are just under 111,000 Packer Stock holders who are Packer fans. The stockholder elect a Packer Board of Directors and the directors vote for executive board, who are members of Board of directors.--Steel Wheels-- Please try to get better information for your postings. Better info that you get by "I bounce all over the web and came across it some where.) That lame!! I expect better than that from a knowledgeable Packer Fan.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In defense of Steal wheels, I think you forget he lives in New Jersey and he has been posting this single post for the last 5 years...

Internet IS his education.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having Nolan Cromwell join the Packers as an OC sometime...

Holmgren again? I don't know...

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer Traxx, I don't hink you'll have anything to worry about. Holmgren isn't coming back to Green Bay. He's a west coast guy and would rather coach almost anyplace but Green Bay. At the time he left he was so full of himself that he thought he could coach anywhere and be a GM anywhere and win. What he wasn't smart enough to realize was what a special place Green Bay was. If he and Wolf could have put their differences aside and just worked together they could have built a true dynasty here. Instead he got greedy and left to become king. The problem for Mike today is that he is thought of as a fair to decent coach only. The Holmgren mystique is gone. I don't want him back. Like Sharper, when you leave the team for other riches, you leave behind what could have been your legacy.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
At the time he left he was so full of himself that he thought he could coach anywhere and be a GM anywhere and win. What he wasn't smart enough to realize was what a special place Green Bay was. If he and Wolf could have put their differences aside and just worked together they could have built a true dynasty here. Instead he got greedy and left to become king.

The true story on that issue is that in the beginning of the Ron Wolf/Mike Holmgren relationship, which started in 1992, Wolf accepted a lot of input from Holmgren.

As the Packers became more successful Wolf began to close Holmgren's input out because Wolf was greedy for the credit of the Packer's success.

Holmgren wanted certain players in Green Bay but Wolf ignored Holmgren. The release of Andre Rison the week after the Super Bowl didn't sit well with Holmgren.

That's why Holmgren wanted GM/HC, no matter where he went.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ron Wolf should be given a HUGE amount of the credit for turning this franchise around. He saw a young gunslinger in Favre that Glanville had so buried in Atlanta, he couldn't even see the light of day. Then what did he do? Coerced Reggie White into dawning the green and gold and bringing a SB trophy back where it belongs. I can't sit and listen to someone bash Ron Wolf, the guy was a flat out genius.

Why do teams still try and talk him out of retirement? The man is a proven winner for what he brought to this team and he should be held in the highest regard along with all Packer greats IMHO.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Ron Wolf should be given a HUGE amount of the credit for turning this franchise around. He saw a young gunslinger in Favre that Glanville had so buried in Atlanta, he couldn't even see the light of day. Then what did he do? Coerced Reggie White into dawning the green and gold and bringing a SB trophy back where it belongs. I can't sit and listen to someone bash Ron Wolf, the guy was a flat out genius.

Why do teams still try and talk him out of retirement? The man is a proven winner for what he brought to this team and he should be held in the highest regard along with all Packer greats IMHO.

Ron Wolf has to be given some credit because he helped the Packers win a Super Bowl. A lot of other GM's helped their teams win Super Bowls too and a few won back-to-back Super Bowls.

Wolf hasn't done anything that wasn't done before by other GM's before he arrived in Green Bay or after he was gone from Green Bay.

Wolf with his greed for credit of the Packers success broke off a valuable association between the Packers and Mike Holmgren. It has cost the Packers dearly. If Holmgren was able to keep his mind on Packer business, the Packers would have had a good shot at winning 3 straight Super Bowls.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels,

I actually think you have this situation backwards. Wolf wasn't the credit hog you proclaim him to be, instead it was MIKE HOLMGREN. He's always wanted to be thought of as a genius who should sit on the same level as a Bill Walsh, etc. As far as I'm concerned, his ego got in the way when people started bringing up the magic that Ron Wolf had worked to bring a Packer team from the doldrums to the promised land. Mike could never handle that and therefore, he's doing an "average at best" job in Seattle right now. I know I posted that I have no huge problem with Holmgren and I really don't, I just don't think it would work a second time around if he were to come back, that's all.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Steel Wheels,

I actually think you have this situation backwards. Wolf wasn't the credit hog you proclaim him to be, instead it was MIKE HOLMGREN. He's always wanted to be thought of as a genius who should sit on the same level as a Bill Walsh, etc. As far as I'm concerned, his ego got in the way when people started bringing up the magic that Ron Wolf had worked to bring a Packer team from the doldrums to the promised land. Mike could never handle that and therefore, he's doing an "average at best" job in Seattle right now. I know I posted that I have no huge problem with Holmgren and I really don't, I just don't think it would work a second time around if he were to come back, that's all.

I don't think Mike Holmgren has done all that bad a job in Seattle. It's not easy going from Brett Favre to Jon Kitna.

If Holmgren had Favre in Seattle it would have been a lot different.

What do you think Mike Sherman's record would have looked like in Green Bay with Jon Kitna and/or Matt Hasselbeck at QB?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts