The world has not ended

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to thank the Packerforum community for realizing what Friday night was: a scrimmage.

I thought I would see a flurry of "fire Sherman", etc. but mercifully, I didn't.

I think the Bills are about a week ahead of the Packers as they build toward the season.

This event will be a springboard to let the coaches see first hand what needs to be done.

The Bills defense is returning nearly intact from last year and they finished in the top 5 in most catagories. It will take the Packers some time to catch up.

It was pretty obvious where the Packers screwed up. I'm a bit concerned about the offensive line, but after I read the stories this morning about the evaluations going on, no wonder. They haven't picked a starting unit, much less worked together.

What I saw to build on:

better tackling. Still some grabbing, but for the most part you could see they are getting coached.

Sander looks like he finally got his head out of his ****.

There were other things, but my time is short.

Again, thanks.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
oh yeah, net...thanks for reminding me...

fire Sherman!..

ps..

FIRE SHERMAN!

(it's going to be a long season...)

GO PACK GO...

(net..you said this last year when the Vikings whooped the Pack's *** at Lambeau in the first round of the playoffs.....exactly when DO you raise an eyebrow concerning Sherman & Co...or can he do no wrong in your eyes?)

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
The Bills defense is returning nearly intact from last year and they finished in the top 5 in most catagories. It will take the Packers some time to catch up.

Now the story changes. I thought Jim Bates was supposed to wave his magic wand...and puff... the Packers were a top 10 defense.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 2 new O-line members and an entirely new D scheme and coaching staff GB will improve more during preseason, as they learn, than most teams will. They only been practicing a week, they have 5 times that much time until the season starts. I'm not judging until at least mid season. JMHO

Core

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
net said:

Now the story changes. I thought Jim Bates was supposed to wave his magic wand...and puff... the Packers were a top 10 defense.

Seems to me like you try to find something negative to say every chance you get. Keep up the good work.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx-Thank you for your post, it save me from having to make one of my own. By the way it was a beautiful night at Lambeau Field. Many young Packer fans were in attendence. Everybody was having a good time. Many Packer jerseys were given away to the crowd and Fireworks cap the night off!! I think just about everybody in attendence, thought they more than got their money worth.Actual attendence was a record for Family Night of 62,492. Stadium Bowl tickets for the event sold out in three hours which account for between 57,000 to 58,000 tickets. Packers have the day off today (Sat) and will be back to practice tomorrow (Sun) at 5:45 pm. There will plenty things to work on, as there were many mistakes during the scrimmage with the Bills!! I will be there early,as the crowds have large at Packer's training camp sessions this year and viewing space is limited at the practice field. The crowds seem to be much larger this year than last year!! The Packer fans at the training camp sessions are from all over the U.S. , Canada and from overseas such as Italy etc.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
net said:

Umm you do realize this was scrimmage game?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true, net. It's good to be in a forum that doesn't go ballistic all the time, like the News Chronicle forum always did. The Bills seemed to be looking at this scrimmage more like a dress rehearsal. They ran a reverse on the first play, for crying out loud!

I was expecting a better performance from the Pack, but we'll see what happens over the course of the preseason. I was pleased to read this morning that Michael Hawkins had a good game. I saw that he made a couple good plays, but hadn't realized that he was not to blame for any of the bad ones.

On the down side, the total yardage was even worse than I thought: Bills 305, Packers 65. Ouch!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
net said:

Chase, Since the season is basicallly over for the Pack, as you duly noted in your previous posts, why not just get off the Packer bandwagon? Why not go root for a team that will WIN their preseason games? Why even POST here except to bash Sherman?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:

SlickVision,

Keep in mind this guy also believes that pre-season stats directly affect a Team' chance at winning a Super Bowl. :roll:

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
SlickVision said:

SlickVision,

Keep in mind this guy also believes that pre-season stats directly affect a Team' chance at winning a Super Bowl. :roll:

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

With His argument, he has the Superbowl game being played right after the last pre-season game.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi: maibe this was superbowl for him....

This was only scrimmage, very bad yardage results worst than I could have expected, lots of mistakes, etc... We will still be rated as underdogs, and we will make them eat their words.

And my respects to the Bills (according to Steel Wheels the next SB champs) that seem to be a team more put up together !!

Time will tell and will only tell that the Packers will have a nice season JUST LET SEASON BEGIN !!!!

Unbilleveable

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys great scrimmage, glad no one got seriously injured.

I honestly don't know your team too well but things that I noticed were:

I thought your run defence was really good. I thought that was your weakness before this game. Who's the DT #90? he's a beast!

Farve looked pretty good so no offensive worries there. Not that I was expecting Farve to look bad or anything. If your disappointed in Rogers you have to realize that a QB is not going to be great right away. It has taken J.P. a year and he still looks like a rookie.

The whole point of the scrimmage from Green Bay's side was for the offense to go against a more complicated defence. Now you have great film footage to see what went wrong. See if your team can make the corrections quickly...we play you again soon.

To say a coach to be fired over a scrimmage is completely insane. There is no game planning which is the coaches main job.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Unbilleveable said:
To say a coach to be fired over a scrimmage is completely insane. There is no game planning which is the coaches main job.

Nobody is say that Sherman should be fired because of a scrimmage...they are saying it because of five years of ineptitude.....

but maybe...just maybe...Sherman will pull his head out off his *** this year and make game time coaching decisions that will actually win a game this year..(especially in the playoffs).....though i doubt it....

also..i doubt that he can pull the play calling away from his buddy Rosseley this year...and that should lose us a few games too....

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unbilleveable said:
The whole point of the scrimmage from Green Bay's side was for the offense to go against a more complicated defence. Now you have great film footage to see what went wrong. See if your team can make the corrections quickly...we play you again soon.

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes it is best to learn how to swim by being thrown into the deep end. The way I look at this, the Bills threw everything but the kitchen sink at our new O-line, so now they have seen a lot of different blitz packages, we have a great tape to learn from, and all of the coaches have reasons to stay on the players butts and help motivate them.

Now if this is still happening by the end of the preseason ....

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unbilleveable,

#90 was Colin Cole and did look good (played in NFLE this year). The naysayers on this forum and in the media are predicting our demise because Buffalo's second stringer's looked a lot better than ours did. I think each team's first string played around 10 or so plays in the game-like situations and I thought both Ds were really good and neither O was very good at all.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the detractors: thanks much for making my point. I will be on the Mike Sherman bandwagon until someone with a better than 66% winning percentage comes forward.

To the rest of you who understand football: thanks for making this forum bearable.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Nobody is say that Sherman should be fired because of a scrimmage...they are saying it because of five years of ineptitude.....

5 Years of ineptitude? Perhaps you should learn something about Sherman before tearing him down:

From http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/sherman_mike/

Sherman has compiled an impressive list of accomplishments en route to a 55-31 overall record in his five seasons as Green Bay's head coach. Among them are:

- Three straight (NFC North) division titles for only the fourth time in team history, joining Lombardi's three-time winners of 1960-62 and 1965-67, along with the 1995-97 division champions of Mike Holmgren;
- Four consecutive playoff appearances;
- Five straight winning seasons (9-7 in 2000, 12-4 in 2001 and '02, 10-6 in 2003 and '04);
- Reaching 50 career victories, including playoffs, second fastest among the Packers' 13 head coaches;
- Three of the Packers' six winning records on the road over the past 36 seasons, including last year's 6-2 mark away from home - Green Bay's best since 1972; and
- A 20-4 regular-season record (.833) Dec. 1 or later - best in the NFL the past five seasons - including a perfect 4-0 in both 2000 and 2003 (the Packers have a plus-28 turnover ratio in those 24 games).

Perhaps P@ck66 would care to explain how he figures the accomplishments above warrant Sherman being lablelled "inept".

Some people should seriously consider thinking before hitting the "Reply" button. :roll:

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ack66 doesn't explain ANYTHING about his hatred for Sherman and his feeling of pending DOOM. NEVER has.

He doiesn't want to read those stats... It means NOTHING to him He only reads those that will put the picture NEGATIVELY for Sherman.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
P@ck66 said:

5 Years of ineptitude? Perhaps you should learn something about Sherman before tearing him down:

From http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/sherman_mike/

Sherman has compiled an impressive list of accomplishments en route to a 55-31 overall record in his five seasons as Green Bay's head coach. Among them are:

- Three straight (NFC North) division titles for only the fourth time in team history, joining Lombardi's three-time winners of 1960-62 and 1965-67, along with the 1995-97 division champions of Mike Holmgren;
- Four consecutive playoff appearances;
- Five straight winning seasons (9-7 in 2000, 12-4 in 2001 and '02, 10-6 in 2003 and '04);
- Reaching 50 career victories, including playoffs, second fastest among the Packers' 13 head coaches;
- Three of the Packers' six winning records on the road over the past 36 seasons, including last year's 6-2 mark away from home - Green Bay's best since 1972; and
- A 20-4 regular-season record (.833) Dec. 1 or later - best in the NFL the past five seasons - including a perfect 4-0 in both 2000 and 2003 (the Packers have a plus-28 turnover ratio in those 24 games).

Perhaps P@ck66 would care to explain how he figures the accomplishments above warrant Sherman being lablelled "inept".

Some people should seriously consider thinking before hitting the "Reply" button. :roll:

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

*****....Hey Bobby Boy

Vince Lombardi's Packers won 5 NFL Championships which included 2 "Super Bowl" wins. 5 NFL titles in 7 years.

Mike Holmgren's Packers won 2 NFC Championships which included 1 "Super Bowl" win.

Mike Sherman's Packers won 3 NFC division titles because the NFC North has been the weakest division in the NFL. Mike Sherman was at the "NFC Championship game" and the "Super Bowl" as a spectator.

Mike Holmgren's Packers won 25 straight games @ Lambeau and 30 of 31.

Mike Sherman's Packers are 9-7 at Lambeau last 2 seasons while losing 2 playoff games over past 3 years at Lambeau. Only 2 playoff loses at Lambeau in Packers history.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
Vince Lombardi's Packers won 5 NFL Championships which included 2 "Super Bowl" wins. 5 NFL titles in 7 years.

Mike Holmgren's Packers won 2 NFC Championships which included 1 "Super Bowl" win.

Mike Sherman's Packers won 3 NFC division titles because the NFC North has been the weakest division in the NFL. Mike Sherman was at the "NFC Championship game" and the "Super Bowl" as a spectator.

So what you are saying is, if you are not Vince Lombardi or have won at least one Super Bowl, you are "inept" as an NFL Head Coach?

Great philosophy, that.

BTW, since you feel Sherman is so "inept" who would you hire as HC of Green Bay if you were TT AND Holmgren was not available? Which coaches in the NFL do you feel live up to the examples provided by Vince Lombardi or your much-touted Mike Holmgren?

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
Steel Wheels said:

So what you are saying is, if you are not Vince Lombardi or have won at least one Super Bowl, you are "inept" as an NFL Head Coach?

Great philosophy, that.

BTW, since you feel Sherman is so "inept" who would you hire as HC of Green Bay if you were TT AND Holmgren was not available? Which coaches in the NFL do you feel live up to the examples provided by Vince Lombardi or your much-touted Mike Holmgren?

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

Bobby Boy it doesn't matter who you want or anyone wants as HC in 2006.

The Packers HC job in 2006 is Mike Holmgren's if he wants it. If Holmgren is a no show TT will promote Jim Bates to HC.

It's that simple...

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
The Packers HC job in 2006 is Mike Holmgren's if he wants it. If Holmgren is a no show TT will promote Jim Bates to HC.

It's that simple...

Sorry to trash your fantasy Wheels, but Holmgren will not be back to coach in Green Bay next year or any other.

It's that simple.

By your logic, if Green Bay fails to achieve at least a 2-2 record in the preseason, TT should fire both Sherman and Bates for destroying all hopes of a Super Bowl appearance before the season has even began.

Keep trying, Wheels.

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts