1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The world’s best - by my reckoning

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by GakkofNorway, Sep 30, 2006.

1. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The world’s best - by my reckoning

By Simon Kuper

Published: September 22 2006 17:54 | Last updated: September 22 2006 17:54

Which country is best in the world at sport? And which is best for its size?

To find out, I combined the historical results of summer and winter Olympics, of world cups in several sports, and of popular individual sports. Some of the data go back more than a century.

My methodology is highly questionable. I started with the men’s world cups in biggish sports that have seldom or never commanded Olympic medals. I ranked the top five countries in these sports, based first on world titles won, and then on finishes in the final four. I gave the best country five points, the second four, the third three, and so on. That produced these totals:

Rugby union: Australia 5, New Zealand 4, England 3, South Africa 2, France 1.

Karate (counting team events only): Japan 5, France 4, England 3, Spain 2, Italy and Turkey 1 each.

Cricket: Australia 5, West Indies 4, India 3, Pakistan 2, Sri Lanka 1.

Baseball was trickier. Historically the US dominates the sport. However, only this year did it send its best players to the world cup. The US ranks third all-time in the event. But I placed it first for baseball, producing this ranking: US 5, Cuba 4, Venezuela 3, Colombia 2, South Korea 1.

Basketball is an Olympic event. However, as the world’s second-most popular team game, it deserves additional input in this quest. I therefore added the basketball world cup’s results. Again the US rarely fielded its best players, and historically ranks second behind (the former) Yugoslavia. But using common sense I placed the US first here, too, producing this ranking: US 5, Yugoslavia 4, USSR 3, Brazil 2, Argentina 1. Favouring the US in baseball and basketball did not affect the outcome of my quest.

The only women’s world cup I counted was soccer. Women’s soccer is an Olympic event too, but popular enough to merit more input. The rankings: US 5, Norway and Germany 4 each, Sweden 2, China 1.

I also measured popular individual sports that are seldom or never represented in the Olympics. I rewarded countries for their citizens’ triumphs. In tennis I counted men’s and women’s grand-slam tournaments – tennis being a rare sport in that it is played widely by women. I only used results from the “Open eraâ€

2. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    September 22 --- what a great GREAT day

3. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    why is it great?

4. C-Mize

C-Mize Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Thats why its all rich white kids that play in the NBA & the NFL. :thumbsup:

5. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0