The Viking bandwagon.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somewhere in Minnesota there's a shed where they keep a purple trailer that they trot out every couple ofyears or so, fill it with noisy drumbeating fans and media types, and roll it down the road proclaiming the Vikings to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
The wagon has been out since Brett Favre announced his retirement last March as the Queens have been advanced as the **** favorite to supplant the Packers as NFC North champion this season.
We've seen this phenomenon before. Minnesota was supposed to take the NFCN in 2003,'04 & '05 when they had the explosive Daunte Culpepper-Randy Moss teams. As a 45 yr. Packers fan living in the Wisconsin-Minnesota border area we've seen it many times before that even; going back at least 40 years!
Apparently they don't keep the lugs on that bandwagon very tight, though, since the wheels keep coming off it time after time.
Besides the Favre departure from Green Bay, the steam for Minnesota this year relates to the rookie of the year showing of Adrian Peterson last season and the offseason additions of wr Bernard Berrian and talented but troubled Kansas City de Jared Allen.Somehow these developments are going to close and surpass the 5 game difference between Green Bay & Minnesota in the standings last season and the 34 point differential between them in their last head to head at Lambeau.
Don't get me wrong; the game Monday night and the season race will be close and probably down to the wire. But before going out on a limb for the Queens consider their history. They have a repeatedly demonstrated penchant for falling short of the highest expectations. While their boosters are saying all the elements are in place for a playoff season, I say the elements are also in place for another letdown.
Most obvious is their quarterback question mark with Tarvaris Jackson. But even with some of their strong points there's ways things might not work out as planned.
Adrian Peterson gained about 40% of his rushing yardage in just 2 monster 200-plus yd. games last season. The rest of the time he was a good back but as the season wore on he showed signs of wearing down and opposing defenses figuring him out. Don't forget; the Vikings coaches didn't even make him a starter ahead of Chester Taylor until near midseason.
Jared Allen was considered a suspension waiting to happen in KC. He led the NFL in qb sacks last year but gained almost half of his total in the final month when the Chiefs played Denver, Detroit & the Jets; 3 of the weakest pass protecting teams in theleague in '07. Allen was shut out or contained consistently in his games against the league's better left tackles; including Green Bay's Chad Clifton.
Berrian is an okay receiver but not a great one. He's an upgrade over what they had but that's not saying a lot. And he's got a turf toe type injury that's likely to bother him thru the season.
Otherwise the Minnesota cast is pretty much the same as the outfits that have gone 14-18 over the past 2 seasons. And they've got a schedule that includes 7 games against teams that were in the playoffs last season and 2 more that figure to be on this season's contender lists.
Consider that and consider their own tradition when hearing about how this year's Vikings are going to be 10 feet tall. They still look to me a lot closer to average.

dhazer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to say a few things as a devils advocate. Ipredict them to easily win the North after all i do predict GB to finish 4-12. Right now i would take Jackson over Rodgers, I'd take the o-line and also d-line of the vikes so with that i would give the running game to the Vikes. We win the battle of the WRs and i'll give us the special teams based on our return game. The kickers i would classify as a push. Our linebackers and cbs are better and i give sharper the edge at saftey. So i am really worried about the vikings winning the division and hearing all those fans brag it up. I'm still stuck hearing my buddy (who is a bears fan) brag about how we lost to chicago twice and how since lovie got there they pretty much handled us. As far as the schedule don't forget we have a harder schedule then them. I will say its going to be an interesting season to say the least but no matter what i will be wearing my cheesehead with pride out here in PA

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you giving the Packers only 4 wins is a little weak.

Remember the Bears made it to the super bowl 2 years ago with a horrible quaterback.

Aaron's got quite a cast around him to support him.

dhazer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they make a prediction thead i will go thru my reasonings with each game. The reason i belive 4 wins in by looking at the schedule. I belive even if we had Brett we would only win 8 games at best. People forget they look at last year but don't look at the schedule comparision. Last year we played the likes of raiders broncos, chiefs, panthers and sure eagles giants and chargers but that was early in the year when they played poorly and we got some lucky breaks. Now this year replace those teams with the likes of colts, jags, seahawks, titans and yes even the texans, saints and bucs. I did the research and found out our great defense wasnt so great if you take away the cowboys and eagles we played an average of 22nd ranked offenses. But like i have said all along im a die hard packer fan but i am also realistic about things.

A little side note isn't it kinda nice that Brett gets to play those same teams he played against last year like the afc west and the dolphins twice lol so i belive we should get a 2nd round pick. I am a numbers freak i like using numbers to back my statements (most of the time)

GO PACK GO
and i will be all decked out in my Packer gear on Monday and you should see the looks i get for wearing a cheesehead to a bar out here in PA lol

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhazer said:
If they make a prediction thead i will go thru my reasonings with each game. The reason i belive 4 wins in by looking at the schedule. I belive even if we had Brett we would only win 8 games at best. People forget they look at last year but don't look at the schedule comparision. Last year we played the likes of raiders broncos, chiefs, panthers and sure eagles giants and chargers but that was early in the year when they played poorly and we got some lucky breaks. Now this year replace those teams with the likes of colts, jags, seahawks, titans and yes even the texans, saints and bucs. I did the research and found out our great defense wasnt so great if you take away the cowboys and eagles we played an average of 22nd ranked offenses. But like i have said all along im a die hard packer fan but i am also realistic about things.

A little side note isn't it kinda nice that Brett gets to play those same teams he played against last year like the afc west and the dolphins twice lol so i belive we should get a 2nd round pick. I am a numbers freak i like using numbers to back my statements (most of the time)

GO PACK GO
and i will be all decked out in my Packer gear on Monday and you should see the looks i get for wearing a cheesehead to a bar out here in PA lol

i understand why there maybe some conceren for our season .... i too was watching the preseason very close ,, mainly due to Rodgers being the new starter ... through the preseason i did see growth in Rodgers ... i also seen the team begin to look like a team ... i wont say we will win the nfc north ,, BUT i like to think we will do better than most think ... with Brett gone the nfc will be gunning for green bay ,, no doubt ... if Rodgers can stay calm and use his recievers ,, i expect he will do well ... the trump card for Rodgers is health ... he must stay healthy ... green bay IMO needs to make a statment monday night ... if we can win monday night i can see us running with our devision ... maybe playoffs ,, its just to early to know ... we have to play at least 5 games to get an ideal of what we have here ...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The queens' QB is not all that hot (I'll take Rodgers over Jackson any day of the week even if Aaron is unproven. Jackson doesn't put any fear into DC's hearts!) and he doesn't have the greatest WRs in the world. Berriman is a nice pick up I suppose but he'd be the #4 WR in GB. :) MN has a nice D line but if OUR D can keep AP from running wild I like our chances.

You really can't look at how a team will perform THIS season by how they played in the past. The bares last season are a prime example, folks penciled them into the SB in August. :rofl: Last year everyone thought the 49ers were going to win the NFC West and the Saints the South. :lol: So who knows if this is as brutal a schedule as it looks - on paper. Let the games begin! 8)

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I'm in the border area we see and hear all about the Vikings. I saw their starters against the other teams' starters in preseason. They aren't that much different than last year.
Seattle & Dallas' first stringers moved the ball almost easily on Minnesota's starting D. Using a scripted offense and forcing passes worked for their offense early but as the game went on they began to stall.
The Packers are better at starting qb, receivers & tight ends, and when healthy the O-line. The Packers are better at linebacker and in the secondary and overall on defense. And with all that, Green Bay's backfield and d-line, if healthy, can work as well for the Packers as the Vikings' do for them.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhazer said:

GO PACK GO

you've made two solid and sound posts in this thread, but i just can't take your Packer-fan cred seriously with a Jets sig.

dhazer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry bozz i just don't have a fav player anymore on the team, I would do a Driver sig but i don't want to make another one after the year when TT runs him out of town also :lol: Sorry had to make a little dig there. If i had to pick anyone maybe ill do a Mason Crosby one. Trust me at times i wish i wasn't such a die hard Packer fan because of all the **** i take for it out here in Steeler country. Hell i wore my Brett jersey to bowling and i had guys taping signs on my back like ran out of town hell my own bowling team offered me $20 bucks to stay away :lol: But hey i lived through the bad years and the good times so i just let them have their fun. But about some other posts i read in this thread i saw one person say our o-line is better then the Vikes line. I just don't see how anyone could say that after all hell do we even know who will be starting all 16 games if healthy or is MM going to do the hot hand thing? Like i said im stuck out here in Pa so only info i get is from the newspaper i get sent out here and what i read online. During the preseason our o-line looked really weak. This is all my opinion so i have no facts on any of it.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just hope we send them packing ... i cant stand the queens ,,, they are just way too cocky ... i hate to hear the crap that comes outta thier mouths ,,, and i hate the purple shirts ... i seen some queen fans around lambeau today ,,, then i remembered how much i cant stand them ... i hope Rodgers throws for 300yds agenst them ...

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the Vikings fans. I had to stop going to a bar of mine that used to have Packers fans because we got run out by Vikings fans. New owner that was a Vikings fan and all his buddies came and they never put the Packers on the big screen!!!

To this day, the Vikings have done nothing to impress me or make me think they will beat us. Their d-line can look scary, but other than that nothing else scares me. I think we can hold AP like we need to and i think our WR's will run their DB's all over the field. Aaron needs to get the ball out quickly, use his check downs and hope our O-line can give him enough time to get the ball out

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we can hold AP like we need to and i think our WR's will run their DB's all over the field. Aaron needs to get the ball out quickly, use his check downs and hope our O-line can give him enough time to get the ball out

i think we need Grant to have a good day ... also try spreading the d with 4 wides ... i dont see why we wouldent win this game ...

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mike bat said:
pack4life said:
I think we can hold AP like we need to and i think our WR's will run their DB's all over the field. Aaron needs to get the ball out quickly, use his check downs and hope our O-line can give him enough time to get the ball out

i think we need Grant to have a good day ... also try spreading the d with 4 wides ... i dont see why we wouldent win this game ...

Ya we do need Grant to have a good game. Hopefully running some misdirections and sweeps to the outside will help open the running game. Then once they adjust we can open up with our passing game

Members online

Latest posts