The Turk makes his annual appearance -- cutdown weekend

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With or without the masks?

You got me on that one, I forgot about the masks. Of course what would you expect from a guy with RicFlair in his name. I grew up on the AWA and the early WWF and almost got kicked out of a venue for screaming at Jesse Ventura and no, not while he was governor.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For now, but don't go out and buy any jerseys. I think most teams will still be adding and subtracting players.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Peterson came in and was the best rb on the skins roster right away... After their stud rookie rb blew his knee. Vikes cook all over again. Real bummer.

He wanted to play here for #12...

I'm just saying (hundreds of times over the past 3 years) that we should have let him.

Even old, worn out, coming off bad year, almost retired from neck injury AP, is better than most rbs in the NFL. Imho. He should be our #3 insurance policy pushing the young guys...

Dang it!!!!!! Lol. I might need to start a fresh AP trade topic... :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Peterson came in and was the best rb on the skins roster right away... After their stud rookie rb blew his knee. Vikes cook all over again. Real bummer.

He wanted to play here for #12...

I'm just saying (hundreds of times over the past 3 years) that we should have let him.

Even old, worn out, coming off bad year, almost retired from neck injury AP, is better than most rbs in the NFL. Imho. He should be our #3 insurance policy pushing the young guys...

Dang it!!!!!! Lol. I might need to start a fresh AP trade topic... :)

I knew I could reel you in again.....careful, that hook gets sharper every year lol

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I'm ok with not picking him up this year. Last year we definitely should have gave him a try. I like all three of our young rbs now. Last year, we had unproven, often injured wr turned rb. And three mid/late round rookies? Lol. Perfect. Time to add a veteran...

Now... I'm not super stoked about our run blocking. Or the blocking overall. but most about the run blocking...I hope Evans wasn't a underlying reason Jones was finding running space last year. I think he was...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually I'm ok with not picking him up this year.
I'm proud of you man! :tup:

Don't tell anyone, but I really wanted the Packers to move up in the draft that year and grab AP, but Ted did the smart thing and stood pat and grabbed Justin Harrell. :laugh:

Reaction score
I was pleased to see us keep Kumerow, there’s something special about that kid. I also noticed Devante Mays didn’t get cut, but rather moved to IR. I was praying he would squeak through, I know he’s young and has a rough start, but I think he could develop into a serviceable Backup at some point. If I’m not mistaken 2 players can come back from IR this year, so it’s still better to earn a paycheck in the meantime than being officially cut.
We have Aaron Jones coming back week 3 and then we can still exercise the option of bringing Mays back to start the second half of the season if the RB position gets thin.
Fascinating that we kept 8 receivers and 4 TE’s! Im also pleased we kept Tonyan, he really looked the part in what limited action we saw him. Great upside In the TE group

JohnnyBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pleased to see us keep Kumerow, there’s something special about that kid. I also noticed Devante Mays didn’t get cut, but rather moved to IR. I was praying he would squeak through, I know he’s young and has a rough start, but I think he could develop into a serviceable Backup at some point. If I’m not mistaken 2 players can come back from IR this year, so it’s still better to earn a paycheck in the meantime than being officially cut.
We have Aaron Jones coming back week 3 and then we can still exercise the option of bringing Mays back to start the second half of the season if there is the RB position gets thin.
Fascinating that we kept 8 receivers and 4 TE’s! I also pleased we kept Tonyan, he really looked the part in what limited action we saw him. Great upside TE.

Just a quick note about the IR players coming back. You are correct that 2 can come back, but only if they make the initial 53 man roster. Those put on IR today are not eligble to come back. They have to be part of the 53 man roster at cut-down and put on IR tomorrow or later to be eligible to come back.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also noticed Devante Mays didn’t get cut, but rather moved to IR. I was praying he would squeak through, I know he’s young and has a rough start, but I think he could develop into a serviceable Backup at some point. If I’m not mistaken 2 players can come back from IR this year, so it’s still better to earn a paycheck in the meantime than being officially cut.

It's likely the Packers work out an injury settlement with Mays at some point within the next few days allowing him to either sign with another team when healthy or come back to Green Bay at some point later in the season.

H

HardRightEdge

It's likely the Packers work out an injury settlement with Mays at some point within the next few days allowing him to either sign with another team when healthy or come back to Green Bay at some point later in the season.
Right. IR is not an indication of an intent to keep a player. A team cannot just cut an injured player. Based on the following link, a player can even decline to settle:

https://www.nationalfootballpost.com/what-is-an-injury-settlement/

"If a player, usually upon the advice of his agent, doesn’t want to do an injury settlement, it’s the team’s obligation to rehab and give him medical treatment. Once the team and the team’s physician deem the player healthy enough to return to the field, the team will release the player from the injured list. If the player feels he is still injured, he has the right to file an injury grievance against the team. An independent arbitrator (as spelled out in the CBA) will hear the grievance."

It would be an uncomfortable situation to be rehabbing at team facilities with team staff when the player knows the team does not want him there. However, if the agent feels the settlement offer is a low ball or that the player would not have interest elsewhere upon recovery, he may advise to drag the thing out as long as possible.

So, regardless of a team's intent, it can be a drawn out process.

I would not exempt Rollins from injury settlement consideration. He was on the bubble anyway. I'd say Murphy would be a candidate for settlement were it not for McCarthy's Spriggs/Murphy mild vote of confidence a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noticed many of the vet cuts were TTs 4-7th round projections. Tired of developing them?

What I like about Gute so far is, that he knows when to cut bait.

I was a little surprised by the cutting of Ripkowski but otherwise I'm glad to see that Gute is not afraid to get rid of draft picks that just are progressing enough to be useful. Curious to see if there are any other moves made today.

Is there any word on the Practice Squad yet?

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I like about Gute so far is, that he knows when to cut bait.

I was a little surprised by the cutting of Ripkowski but otherwise I'm glad to see that Gute is not afraid to get rid of draft picks that just are progressing enough to be useful. Curious to see if there are any other moves made today.

Is there any word on the Practice Squad yet?

He's a JAG. Can do without him. Should've been cut after that fumble to start the NFCCG.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Herb Waters waived

Who was he waving at? Rumor has it that Gute had the song "Smoke on the Water" playing when Herb walked into his office to get the news.

That boat sailed awhile ago ;)

His roster spot has been filled and the Packers signed another CB, not named Waters to complete the PS.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With the names we cut, why didn't we cut Waters to begin with?
That is a bit of a head scratcher, especially since after they cut him, they put another CB on the PS. Maybe he got nicked up and they just realized it, I finally watched the KC game tonight and he looked shaken up after a tackle.

The big head scratcher to me after watching that game.....Why keep Boyle on the 53? He looked terrible Thusday night. That was THE perfect audition for him not to make another team, if the Packers wanted him on the PS.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Boyle earned a spot either. I didn't see this great accuracy people were talking about, I didn't see a great arm either. Sure it's a decent arm, but some dude threw it from like the 50 thru the goalposts on his knees and he still sucked as a QB in the NFL too. His decision making was pretty poor. and he threw more than 1 or 2 bad balls, over throws, into coverages that had no business being throw into. They looked pre-McCarthy Favre'ish to me. go back, throw up off back foot falling backwards and hoping the prayer is answered. I know it was one game, but it was over half the snaps in his career that we can use to form an opinion.

But then I look at all those other names cut, and none of them surprised me either. Lots of guys didn't step up and earn a spot

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All I can assume with Boyle is that the Packers must see something special in the guy and they think other teams might see it too, or they wouldn't have used a roster spot for him. I am with you Mondio, I never saw much, but I bow to the Packers and their decision making about Boyle.

However, I am still going to stick to my theory on the QB position. A team should never carry 3 QB's on the 53, even more so when 2 of them are considered projects. Especially when you have a team with Super Bowl aspirations and an offense that heavily relies on their QB. I don't see much of a change in the Packers philosophy this year over last year, when the Packers season was derailed by having to play a very unproven QB for most of the year. Had I been in Gute's shoes I would have signed a vet journeyman QB to back up #12 and then if I wanted to keep a project, Kizer becomes my #3.

I watched the Chiefs 2 vet backups (Henne and McGloin) basically shred the Packer backups, Kizer and Boyle didn't have much of that same success. Henne will probably never be a Pro Bowler, but I would much rather see him on the Packer sidelines with a clipboard in 2018 than Kizer or Boyle.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW: Jeff Janis, cut by the Cleveland Browns.

Good special teamer, not much else.....Maybe he'll land somewhere (not Green Bay).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
FWIW: Jeff Janis, cut by the Cleveland Browns.

Good special teamer, not much else.....Maybe he'll land somewhere (not Green Bay).

I predict Jeff will continue to be a great Father and Husband and maybe an outdoors man. Nice guy, but if Football is in his future, it may have to be with a team like....

Saskatchewan Roughriders

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts