The Turk makes his annual appearance -- cutdown weekend

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
H

HardRightEdge

Here's an oddity to conclude the Bronson Hill era.

Anybody notice #36 was playing both offense and defense late in the preseason games? Who was this 2-way wonder?

It was Bronson Hill and Raven Greene, both wearing that number. When you have to share a number your prospects do not look good. I have to say, though, Greene did not look all that bad; he might have a shot at the PS.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Ripkowski cut
That's surprising. They might keep Kerridge or find another name. Another possibility is they ditch the FB concept altogher and use Lewis as an H-back.

If they ditch the FB concept, they're going to need another running back besides Williams/Montgomery for at least 2 games since Ripkowski has served as an emergency RB.

H

HardRightEdge

They are shopping Trevor Davis right now
The punt return fumble against KC may have done him in. Ball security is high on the McCarthy priority list. Ask Devante Mays.

That said, nobody esle looked any d*mn good returning punts or kickoffs with Davis the best option at both positions. It's hard to see who they have in mind.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Devante mays sent packing
This doesn't surprise me at all. Didn't he fumble twice in his first 3 carries last year? I forgot to tape the Chiefs game, so I haven't seen what he did Thursday night. But nothing I saw him do prior impressed me.

Ripkowski cut

I was going to list this yesterday as a "don't be surprised if....."

I thought I read something last year on Rip and the fact that his play had been disappointing. He failed on a couple of blocking assignments and his carries (5) VS 2016 (34) were obviously way down.

H

HardRightEdge

Woah....

Keeping a boat load of tight ends.....

That's a bold move. I like the direction..... More pass orientated. Lead blocking fullbacks don't make much sense in a pass first offense. I like it.
Well, McCarthy loaded up with TEs around mid-decade looking to transition to the H-back concept. Quarless, Ryan Taylor and Richard Rodgers were tried in that backfield role. None of them could run block from that spot, not that any of them were very good run blockers in-line to start with. McCarthy was trying to shake the FB concept and couldn't get it to work, so Kuhn was kept on and then Ripkowski took his spot.

We'll see if this is a shot at second time's the charm. Lewis is a better in-line blocker than any of those H-back guys in their dreams so perhaps he's the FB substitute on the few occasions they need one. That might leave open a spot for Tonyan with Kendricks kept around.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The punt return fumble against KC may have done him in. Ball security is high on the McCarthy priority list. Ask Devante Mays.

That said, nobody esle looked any d*mn good returning punts or kickoffs with Davis the best option at both positions. It's hard to see who they have in mind.

Maybe they will resign Janis? :eek:

H

HardRightEdge

A bit of a surprise, but good to see that Gute isn't just hanging onto players that decent draft capital was spent on, in hopes that they will pan out someday.
Or it could be the other way around. Perhaps certain guys are perceived as having hit their ceiling and it is not good enough. Instead, they go with other guys who might pan out some day.

Something tells me they're looking at some vets to pick up from cut downs.

H

HardRightEdge

Guessing he is still eligible for the PS, so his story line in GB may not be over yet.
True. You're allowed 4 PS guys who have been on a roster for 2 full seasons. There are a lot of possibilities around the league that fit that criteria.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Or it could be the other way around. Perhaps certain guys are perceived as having hit their ceiling and it is not good enough. Instead, they go with other guys who might pan out some day.

Something tells me they're looking at some vet cut downs.

You could be right. I think Gute has already shown that unlike TT, he isn't going to just hang on to what now appears to be bad investments and hope they pan out. I would put that down as one of my least favorite things that TT seemed to do. I posted yesterday, it won't surprise me one bit if we see some new faces on the Packers roster or PS by the end of the day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Randall Cobb and Clay Matthews cut......

:cool: Calm down...just seeing how many people were still awake as well as if I just made someones dreams come true.