The Too-Early Draft/Free Agency Thread

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the bye-week, so a decent time to look ahead. What are the positions that you all feel the Packers need to focus on in the draft and free agency?

Top Priorities (in no particular order):
* Inside Linebacker
* Wide Receiver
* Outside Linebacker

Other Priorities:
* Tight End
* Defensive Line
* Quarterback (yes - I'm serious about drafting another good backup in case Love isn't the guy)

I think that we are in a remarkably good spot at many positions. Our OL is good if everyone is healthy. Our RBs situation is good. Our CB is good but could always use another young stud. We could find another safety somewhere low in the draft. However, I think that we will lose Campbell so we need another ILB with one of our picks in the top three rounds. Devante might be gone, but even if not, we need another legit #2 WR. Zadarius is all but gone and we need somebody young coming up to take Preston Smith's place assuming he is gone after 2022.

Tunyon had one good season and will struggle to recover from an ACL next season. We need fresh blood besides Deguara at Tight End.

The defensive line has played better than expected, but we need someone else for the future. Slayton might be the guy but you can never have enough big bodies.

I do like Kurt Benkert as the #3 QB, but assuming that Rodgers is gone after this season (big assumption) we need to have another quality QB to back up Love. We don't need to draft a QB in the top 3 rounds but anywhere below that is reasonable.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally not even going to waste any brain cells on this until we know who is and isn't back next year. The different scenarios are just mind boggling.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's way too soon but I totally understand the impulse.

I continually remind myself "not yet, not yet, not yet..." :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey put this in the proper sub section. I've already put a few prospect primers even out there and favorites over there. Teaches folks to look in the right spot.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd put CB at a top need. Yes, Stokes is back, but they still have to sign Alexander. Otherwise, Douglas, King, Sullivan and Yiadom are all FA's.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd put CB at a top need. Yes, Stokes is back, but they still have to sign Alexander. Otherwise, Douglas, King, Sullivan and Yiadom are all FA's.

I truly believe and it appears he likes it here that Rasul will be the one FA on that short list we will resign. Often times teams that find those diamond in the rough guys that no one else would give a shot at or did and tossed stick at least another year with that team. We are done with King and I truly believe was only resigned due to lack of market they like elsewhere (which I'd argue against personally). Sullivan I sense wants out, but he shouldn't be crazy expensive.

But you have Stokes, SJC, and what maybe Rasul and Sully back (Ento possibly too). They for sure need to keep CB always on the list of draft selections in any round IMO, ESPECIALLY if they have a sense of the Jaire situation NOT working in Green Bays' favor extension wise IF they get that locked in before the draft, I'd probably not waste a Day 1 pick on a CB unless a true LOVE fell.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey put this in the proper sub section. I've already put a few prospect primers even out there and favorites over there. Teaches folks to look in the right spot.
Its draft and free agency

So where does it go then?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft: WR, CB, OLB, ILB, DL, TE, S.

FA I'd like to keep: Douglas, Campbell, Tonyan, extend Alexander to lower cap.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don’t think CB is a “need”. Should they add some depth, yes, but you would do that at DB any year.

Stokes and Alexander gives you a legitimate duo and there is no way in hell you don’t keep Alexander on the roster. Letting Alexander walk would be as stupid as… idk hypothetically trading up for a backup QB in the first round even though you already have a HOF QB on the roster.

Something I would like to see is them target a S in the top 3 rounds or so. Savage was the top slot defender in college the year he declared. I also happen to think that’s his best position where you can blitz him, spy him, or man him up on the slot.

When the Packers go to dine they do 3 CBs and 3 S but that 3rd S is Black and I’m just not a fan. Getting another legitimate player at S would be big for our flexibility. I thought Scott might make a leap but he’s been inactive all year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Umm no.

Im seriously asking you. Title is draft and fa. You want it in the draft. What about fa parts?

Ill move it, but want you to help me out

No I get it neither is fitting really so might as well stay put. I completely messed up saying that

D

Deleted member 6794

As others have mentioned it's way too early to discuss about the team's need entering free agency and the draft as there's no way of knowing what the roster will look like in mid-March based on the Packers being faced with serious issues regarding the cap.

Just for the record, Alexander is under contract for next season. The Packers should definitely extend him and lower his cap hit for 2022 though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As others have mentioned it's way too early to discuss about the team's need entering free agency and the draft as there's no way of knowing what the roster will look like in mid-March based on the Packers being faced with serious issues regarding the cap.

Just for the record, Alexander is under contract for next season. The Packers should definitely extend him and lower his cap hit for 2022 though.

I understand there is zero way to cement needs and such, but IMO it is never too early to start building my big board and reviewing and analyzing draft prospects :) It's one of my favorite things!!! I live for the Draft more than almost the actual seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand there is zero way to cement needs and such, but IMO it is never too early to start building my big board and reviewing and analyzing draft prospects :) It's one of my favorite things!!! I live for the Draft more than almost the actual seasons.

Well, I know you enjoy spending a huge amount of time analyzing prospects and I understand it's never too early for you to start doing that ;)

I tried to point out that with the Packers being in a difficult situation regarding the cap this offseason it's close to impossible to take an educated guess about the team's needs entering free agency and the draft though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I know you enjoy spending a huge amount of time analyzing prospects and I understand it's never too early for you to start doing that ;)

I tried to point out that with the Packers being in a difficult situation regarding the cap this offseason it's close to impossible to take an educated guess about the team's needs entering free agency and the draft though.

Your second part is more true this go around than any I can remember in my adult life really. Immense changes are most likely going to happen for sure, changing the needs and target likelihood immensely as the chips fall.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
In a perfect world, the Packers win the Super Bowl and cooler heads prevail. Rodgers comes back restructured, and we keep as much of the band together as possible. Let Gute work his draft day magic to hopefully add another couple of difference makers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a perfect world, the Packers win the Super Bowl and cooler heads prevail. Rodgers comes back restructured, and we keep as much of the band together as possible. Let Gute work his draft day magic to hopefully add another couple of difference makers.

Even in a perfect world where Rodgers restructures....A LOT of hard decisions and cuts will still have to occur. Also a Jaire restructure and team knowing Jenkins future contract is on the horizon makes Adams gone no matter how you slice the cake.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With both Smith's likely to be gone, we really need to beef up Edge Rushers.

We are already nearly $30m over the cap, so despite big releases, hard to sign top players.

D

Deleted member 6794

Even in a perfect world where Rodgers restructures....A LOT of hard decisions and cuts will still have to occur. Also a Jaire restructure and team knowing Jenkins future contract is on the horizon makes Adams gone no matter how you slice the cake.

There's a way to keep Adams as well. It depends on how much cap hits the front office wants to push into future years.

With both Smith's likely to be gone, we really need to beef up Edge Rushers.

We are already nearly $30m over the cap, so despite big releases, hard to sign top players.

The Packers are effectivley $46.5 million over the cap for next season.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Gute extends Alexander and cuts or doesn't resign guys like Lowry, Lancaster, Crosby, King, Z'darius, Lewis, Cobb, he'll still have to say goodbye to Rodgers, Adams or both to get under the cap. Maybe they sign a deal that gives a minor 2022 cap hit, but that just means the pain will be worse in 2023. Perhaps he'll put his chips in on the defense and sign Douglas, Campbell and let Adams and Rodgers walk. In that case, the draft priorities would be WR, TE and D Line. Love would get his chance. If he's good, the team would still be in the playoffs. If he sucks, you're looking at a 5 12 type of team

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Gute extends Alexander and cuts or doesn't resign guys like Lowry, Lancaster, Crosby, King, Z'darius, Lewis, Cobb, he'll still have to say goodbye to Rodgers, Adams or both to get under the cap. Maybe they sign a deal that gives a minor 2022 cap hit, but that just means the pain will be worse in 2023. Perhaps he'll put his chips in on the defense and sign Douglas, Campbell and let Adams and Rodgers walk. In that case, the draft priorities would be WR, TE and D Line. Love would get his chance. If he's good, the team would still be in the playoffs. If he sucks, you're looking at a 5 12 type of team
Agreed. AR & Adams will average $65Mil to $70Mil/ year elsewhere ...that's a lot of cash to allow for a fast rebuild. Keep a strong D, suffer growing pains for a year on O and then (hopefully) right back to perennial contender.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts