1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Toledo War

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Robert Mason, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +136
  2. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Moving this to the Atrium. Not football related.

3. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +136
    Upper Peninsula might have been Packer fans instead of Lions fans.

4. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Mackinac bridge would have probably been built later. Eastern/Central time zone line would be further east. One of the two Marquette counties and Menomonee cities would be renamed.

5. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +136
    I always wondered why the upper peninsula was part of Michigan and not Wisconsin. So I decided to do some research.

6. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +567
    Most of us "Yoopers" are Packers fans, the largest exception being the folks on the Eastern end of the peninsula.
    A poll done a few years back reflected 69% of Yoopers were Packers fans, 25% Lions fans and the rest being a smattering of Bears and Vikings fans.
    The people of the U.P., particularly Marquette County were a big part of keeping the Packers going during hard times thanks to the fund raising efforts of Sam Cohodas, millionaire banker and fruit grower from Ishpeming Michigan.

7. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Would "yoopers" even be a term? Maybe for the far eastern edge but not the section north of "God's chosen state" known in the secular textbooks as Wisconsin.

8. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +567
    Interesting question.
    Certainly the Upper Peninsula has more in common with the state of Wisconsin.
    We at least are geographically connected to Wisconsin and share a common border, neither can be said about the Lower peninsula.
    And more certainly I would much rather travel 2.5 hours to Green Bay than 8 hours to Detroit.
    And Green Bay and surrounding area (Door County in particular) is much nicer to visit than the Lower Peninsula of Michigan.
    We could still be the Upper Peninsula if we were part of Wisconsin, the peninsulas being the Door Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula.
    Therefore we could still be "Yoopers".
    And the Upper Peninsula would still be known as "Gods country".

9. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,626
    But then you'd also be able to claim God lives in the neighborhood like we do.

10. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +136

Thanks for that information yooperpackfan.......I was expecting that response from you