The Titanic is sailing fine. Enjoy the cruise.......

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pain of Losing close games is not the time for slash and burn mentality. Improving the Packers does not occur by destroying a team. IMO the 05 team is better than the 04 team.

My thoughts have always been.

1) The Packers are not as bad as their record.

a. They have outgained opponents in 8 of 11 games
b. They have outscored their opponents
c. They have not had the embarassing blow out losses that MN + Det had

2) Their problem is lack of player talent at certain positions.

a. The prior rookie GM made some bad decisions and did not develop roster depth. 40% of roster had to be signed by 05 GM.
b. Salary cap restraints resulting from prior bad decisions.
c. Injuries to key Offensive positions first 4 RB's, TE, 3 WR's, C.
d. Signing street free agents after start of season when low quality available.

3) Game plans simplified due to new personnel

a. Basic play running as many personnel added after season start. Playbook cannot be learned in a few weeks.
b. Opposing defenses have scouted and prepared for the simpifications
c. Less talent and prepared defenses lead to greater turnovers.

It is not a matter of losing faith in the organization, current GM and coaches, or players. It is a matter of assessment and correction of the current deficiencies.
Corrections:

A. Upgrade talent.
1) Drafts are for future and players take at least 2 years to become productive.
2) Free agency finding players who are still improving their play and fit.
3) or 2b is retaining your good players and developing them.
4) Trades

Ted Thompson worked more draft picks in 05 and will likely continue to do so. He has done much without money adding Lee(TE), Gado, Wishon, Thornberg etc. at no cost. Currently the Packers have 38 players signed for 06. Ted had best be targeting free agents for the off season. That 20 million dollars or so under 06 cap will be spent adding at least 15 to roster. Some should be on current roster like Kampmann, Longwell, Henderson.
As to trades, who can be given up? Ferguson, Martin, Klemm, Wahington, Rodgers. Not much to trade.

In 06 over 50% of the roster will have been acquired by Thompson.

B. Incorporate and coach new players

Ability to do so will determine the future of coaches.

The example is set by DC Bates and his defensive staff working young players in with a simplified scheme.

The line coach is working with Witticker, Coston, and White with results hopefully coming in 06 or efforts will be expended on new players.

Receivers and backfield coaches are working until the current crisis is over and will have to do more during mini-camps and training camp next season with the new players. I see 7 WR's and RB's to be replaced in 06. Throwing out Head Coach Sherman will not make the team more attractive.

C. Prevention of Injuries

There is no magic formula. Better workout methodologies are always attempted. However, younger players are generally less injured than older players.

D. Develop and keep a winning attitude.

Retention of key veteran leaddership. Encourage players who have earned the respect of other players. William Henderson is a key locker guy to sign. Throwing Brett Favre on the scrap heap will not attract free agents.

It is time for a calm rational approach and not the chainsaw, lynch and burn destruction called for by some.

Relax

The team will be upgrading not rebuilding.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say with the soft schedule next year, if Farve comes back, and maybe Reggie Bush, '06 will be a great year for you guys.

I can't imagine GB getting hit with massive injuries two years in a row.

Just so we still sweep ya! :D

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
The Pain of Losing close games is not the time for slash and burn mentality. Improving the Packers does not occur by destroying a team. IMO the 05 team is better than the 04 team.

My thoughts have always been.

1) The Packers are not as bad as their record.

a. They have outgained opponents in 8 of 11 games
b. They have outscored their opponents
c. They have not had the embarassing blow out losses that MN + Det had

ANYWAY THE TEAM IS 2-9 AND A LOSS IS A LOSS NO MATTER IF YOU GET BEATEN BY 20 POINTS OR 1 POINT.

IMHO 2-9 IS EMBARRASING ENOUGH.

2) Their problem is lack of player talent at certain positions.

a. The prior rookie GM made some bad decisions and did not develop roster depth. 40% of roster had to be signed by 05 GM. FORMER GM MADE A LOT OF MISTAKES AND BAD DECISIONS MUCH MORE THAN GOOD ONES AND HE IS STILL HC AND SOME OF HIS WORST PICKS COACH WITH HIM (ROSSLEY)
b. Salary cap restraints resulting from prior bad decisions. SHERMAN´S FAULT
c. Injuries to key Offensive positions first 4 RB's, TE, 3 WR's, C. YES YOU MUST PLAN TO HAVE BACKUPS THIS IS SHERMANS FAULT
d. Signing street free agents after start of season when low quality available. THERE WHERE SOME BETTER OPTIONS BUT WE HAVE NO MONEY

3) Game plans simplified due to new personnel

a. Basic play running as many personnel added after season start. Playbook cannot be learned in a few weeks.
b. Opposing defenses have scouted and prepared for the simpifications
c. Less talent and prepared defenses lead to greater turnovers.

ALSO SIMPLIFIED FOR THE LACK OF TALENT IN THE COACHING STAFF, MAINLY OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

It is not a matter of losing faith in the organization, current GM and coaches, or players. I TRUST IN OUR CURRENT GM AND SOME OF OUR PLAYERS It is a matter of assessment and correction of the current deficiencies.
Corrections:

A. Upgrade talent. SPECIALLY AT HC AND OC
1) Drafts are for future and players take at least 2 years to become productive. MOST OF SHERMANS NEVER PAN OUT.
2) Free agency finding players who are still improving their play and fit. I AGREE 100%
3) or 2b is retaining your good players and developing them. I AGREE 100%
4) Trades I AGREE 100%

Ted Thompson worked more draft picks in 05 and will likely continue to do so. He has done much without money adding Lee(TE), Gado, Wishon, Thornberg etc. at no cost. THIS HAS BEEN VERY IMPORTANT AND WE MUST NOT OVERLOOK IT Currently the Packers have 38 players signed for 06. Ted had best be targeting free agents for the off season. That 20 million dollars or so under 06 cap will be spent adding at least 15 to roster. Some should be on current roster like Kampmann, Longwell, Henderson.
As to trades, who can be given up? Ferguson, Martin, Klemm, Wahington, Rodgers. Not much to trade. OTHER THAN RODGERS I DONT SEE HOW WILL WE GET ANYTHING FOR THOSE GUYS

In 06 over 50% of the roster will have been acquired by Thompson.

B. Incorporate and coach new players

Ability to do so will determine the future of coaches.

The example is set by DC Bates and his defensive staff working young players in with a simplified scheme. YES WE HAVE A REAL COACH THAT KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING AND I BELIEVE HE WAS TT´S ADITION TO THE TEAM.

The line coach is working with Witticker, Coston, and White with results hopefully coming in 06 or efforts will be expended on new players.

Receivers and backfield coaches are working until the current crisis is over and will have to do more during mini-camps and training camp next season with the new players. I see 7 WR's and RB's to be replaced in 06. Throwing out Head Coach Sherman will not make the team more attractive. MAYBE NOT BUT KEEPING HIM IS REPEATING THE SAME MISTAKES

C. Prevention of Injuries

There is no magic formula. Better workout methodologies are always attempted. However, younger players are generally less injured than older players. YES

D. Develop and keep a winning attitude. SHERMAN/ROSSLEY CANT DO THIS BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE A WINNING ATTITUDE AND YOU MUST TEACH BY EXAMPLE HERE
Retention of key veteran leaddership. Encourage players who have earned the respect of other players. William Henderson is a key locker guy to sign. Throwing Brett Favre on the scrap heap will not attract free agents. AGREE 100% ON THIS ISSUE.
It is time for a calm rational approach and not the chainsaw, lynch and burn destruction called for by some.

Relax

The team will be upgrading not rebuilding.

Members online

Latest posts