The T.T. Syndrom.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it works.... Jump on it. If it is in fashion wear it.

It seams the N.F.L. G.M's and decision makers are following the lead of the N.F.L. General Manager Of The Year. The wise one, the proven T.T.

Perhaps, the rest of the N.F.L. G.M's have caught on to the idea that the future success is to build from the draft and build on trading down and getting more draft picks.

P.F.T. can be a great site. Some times Mike can run some stuff that is sort of border line tabloid. However... Florio nails this on the head of the nail in this scribe notes about restricted free agents moving to other teams in this off season.

Quote: From Florio:

ONLY THREE RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS HAVE CHANGED TEAMS

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2008, 4:24 p.m.

With the deadline for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets less than a week away, only three such players have changed teams this year.

The Lions obtained defensive back Kalvin Pearson from the Bucs, the Bengals finagled tight end Ben Utecht from the Colts, and the Titans acquired kick returner Chris Carr from the Raiders.

In each case, the player had been undrafted and was tendered at the lowest level. As a result, there was no draft-pick compensation.

Meanwhile, 31 restricted free agents signed their one-year tender offers, putting them under contract for one more year, and eligible for unrestricted free agency in 2009.

We’re not sure why so few restricted free agents have changed teams this year. It’s possible that teams have opted to steer clear of restricted free agents, given that any offer sheet that doesn’t include a poison pill possibly is evidence of collusion among the teams. The poison pill remains a viable device for promoting player movement; a year ago, the union didn’t object when teams failed to use it in offer sheets.

It’s a different climate now, and it very well could be that there’s a wink-nod arrangement among the teams that offer sheets will be pursued only as to those players for whom there is no draft-pick compensation.

Of course, that would be collusion, too. If that’s what has been happening.

R.P.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
luckily you need an extremely talented scout like TT, and his crew, to succeed, therefore most of the teams will fail!! muhahahaha

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the crew. They know their stuff, and the man pulling the trigger has ice water in his veins.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy goes from being Matt Millen jr. to creating a team that is really 1 catch away from being in the superbowl, and he still can't catch a break. ridiculous.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with TT - he has done a great job. Young teams just don't fair well outside of the regular season. That is the only worry I have.

Oh yeah, and blah blah, Trom.

EDIT: Some stuff.

Youngest Teams - Very black and white, there is no middle ground. The best case scenario is that we end up with a situation like the Colts had. But, it took them a few years, as I am sure you listened to all the when will Peyton win one talk.

And furthermore, Peyton and Eli ask A-Rod to ask Greg for advice. So there, you got that going for ya.

1. Green Bay Packers-25 years, 300 days
2. Buffalo Bills-26 years, 66 days
3. Atlanta Falcons-26 years, 96 days
4. New York Jets-26 years, 115 days
5. Indianapolis Colts-26 years, 125 days
6. Miami Dolphins-26 years, 147 days
7. San Diego Chargers-26 years, 190 days

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is, you build teams to win championships. Whether you sign 248 free agents or none. There is NO magic formula. Teams have won with tons of new guys, old guys, veterans, rookies, etc.

The approach taken means nothing, all that matters is the end result. Every GM approaches the off season differently. Only 1 at the end of the season holds the Lombardi tropy over his head. As of today, that's never been Ted Thompson, so it's hard for me to believe anyone is catching the "TT syndrome"

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether you sign 248 free agents or none. There is NO magic formula. Teams have won with tons of new guys, old guys, veterans, rookies, etc.

What's it distracting from, this exciting FA frenzy?

So there's no magic formula, you say this strategy has worked, but you mock this one why?

Interesting.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've failed drastically to try to prove a point.

There was no "mocking" going on anywhere rather just an observation that TT's off-seasons are extremely boring.

If it works, it works, and thus far it has fallen short.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but you mock this one why?

Thompson worked in Seattle along with former Packers and current Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren. During Thompsons five seasons in Seattle, the Seahawks advanced to the playoffs in twice. Several players Thompson helped acquire through the draft played key roles on these teams. Some of the notable players Thompson selected in his tenure with the Seahawks were running back Shaun Alexander, kicker Josh Brown, guard Steve Hutchinson, and wide receiver Darrell Jackson, cornerbacks Marcus Trufant and Ken Lucas, safeties Ken Hamlin and Michael Boulware. In 2005, however, with Thompson off to run the Packers, the Seahawks coincidentally had their best success in team history, reaching the Super Bowl. Naming Tim Ruskell the new president of football operations, the Seahawks were more aggressive utilizing free agency in 2005. They also were able to re-sign All-Pro left tackle Walter Jones to a multi-year contract, QB Matt Hasselbeck to a long-term contract and able to keep RB Shaun Alexander by declaring him their "franchise player". The 2005 second round draft pick, LB Lofa Tatupu, is credited with bringing the Seattle defense to the next level and helping get the Seahawks to the Super Bowl.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man these lame arguments bring me back.

This is the part where someone posts the record of the team under TT's tenure

Then someone has to rant their *** off on how hiring an OC from one of the worst teams as the HC was the worst hiring ever.

We have to sprinkle in some "What if we had Javon Walker" posts too.

Gotta have some "This defense will never be any good without Bates" as well.

Maybe some "I think Ted Thompson is gay. Seriously, does he have a wife?"

How many times do you have to doubt the man when he answers the call almost every time. Yeah, we don't have any superbowl rings yet, but the team is consistently getting better and more competitive, due to THE TT SYNDROME.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To what?

I'm not mocking TT's strategy. This year we have forty plus guys that have been in the NFC Championship Game. That's a good start. He didn't have that in Seattle.

EDIT: Coincidentally, I am just arguing to boost your possible nomination status in certain undetermined categories. Plus, it beats talking about the second string punter.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

To what?

EDIT: Coincidentally, I am just arguing to boost your possible nomination status in certain undetermined categories. Plus, it beats talking about the second string punter.

Ive been up for a very long time, and im cranky, and KGB's trolling annoys me to no end. I mean, how many times can I say the truth and not have it heard.

I'm going to bed to dream of using Brett's buns as my pillow.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the whole building through the draft is gotten ahold of most of the NFL, and this is the first offseason where it has been more noticeable. TT may not be the sole reason, but he is a large part of it.

Anyway, back to my point. You look at the recent "dynasty", the Patriots. They won their Super Bowls by building through the draft. They go out last year and break the bank and fall up short. Meanwhile, the Giants, through cultivating their players win the SB. Look at Thompson's former team, the Seahawks went to the Super Bowl through the draft, and now improved by 9 wins (10 including playoffs) over two seasons. Same thing with Steelers and Colts. They didn't break the bank, they drafted guys like Joseph Addai and Troy Polamalu to win their championships. Teams are slowly realizing FA is coming up short to the draft when you consider the price difference.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, how many times can I say the truth and not have it heard.

When Jesus had finished these prarables, he moved on from there. coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. "Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?", the asked. "Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary, and aren't his brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas? Aren't all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these words?" And they took offense at him.
But Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor."
And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
-Matthew 13:53-58

Welcome home Tromadz! hahaha.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
but you mock this one why?

Thompson worked in Seattle along with former Packers and current Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren. During Thompsons five seasons in Seattle, the Seahawks advanced to the playoffs in twice. Several players Thompson helped acquire through the draft played key roles on these teams. Some of the notable players Thompson selected in his tenure with the Seahawks were running back Shaun Alexander, kicker Josh Brown, guard Steve Hutchinson, and wide receiver Darrell Jackson, cornerbacks Marcus Trufant and Ken Lucas, safeties Ken Hamlin and Michael Boulware. In 2005, however, with Thompson off to run the Packers, the Seahawks coincidentally had their best success in team history, reaching the Super Bowl. Naming Tim Ruskell the new president of football operations, the Seahawks were more aggressive utilizing free agency in 2005. They also were able to re-sign All-Pro left tackle Walter Jones to a multi-year contract, QB Matt Hasselbeck to a long-term contract and able to keep RB Shaun Alexander by declaring him their "franchise player". The 2005 second round draft pick, LB Lofa Tatupu, is credited with bringing the Seattle defense to the next level and helping get the Seahawks to the
Super Bowl.

Seattle lost in the Super Bowl. Bad Point.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm getting sick of people acting like the 2007 team was the Packers only shot at a Super Bowl, like it was an all-or-nothing year. 2007 was 'supposed' to be a year when all the young talent would begin to work together and begin to work toward their potential. People were guessing we would go around 8-8 in 2007, 10-6 if we were extremely lucky; tons of people from this forum had those sentiments, myself included. Now, we went 13-3 and lost in the NFC championship game, and everybody is acting like that was our one shot. losing the NFC championship, does that feel familiar to anyone other than me? 2007 is over. It was a good season, and far better than almost everyone on this forum hoped for. The 1995 Packers weren't satisfied with how their season ended, and that worked out ok for them. I am confident the 2008 Packers will respond to the 2007 season accordingly.
EDIT: I should learn to spell

Members online

Latest posts