The running game

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. He had a bad game yesterday. **** happens, move on.

There is not ONE single person out there that's available right now who would be an improvement. ***** and whine about it all you want, but we're not going to be signing anyone.

Depending on Nance's condition, we may see Starks get some action this week. I doubt it will be significant though, but he'll certainly get his shot.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

There is not ONE single person out there that's available right now who would be an improvement. ***** and whine about it all you want, but we're not going to be signing anyone.

Depending on Nance's condition, we may see Starks get some action this week. I doubt it will be significant though, but he'll certainly get his shot.
I agree, there's nothing we can do about it. And that sucks.

I'd love to see Starks get some carries. He's the big unanswered question in that backfield. I'm having a hard time expecting anything but averageness out of Starks, given that he's a 6th rounder, but who knows?

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm so JEALOUS of teams with a half way decent RB; I'm sure BJ is a nice guy, but who the hell thought he could run? He has no vision, no break out speed, he doesn't even seem to have much strength/power... I just don't get it. smh..

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score

He had a bad game because we played a good defense. If and when we make the playoffs and face a few more of those (or when we play the Bears again), we need those 3rd and 1's, and we can't put it on Rodgers.

I'm going to ***** and whine not because we aren't getting a RB today, but because I didn't see us adjust the game plan to our current RB situation, as evidenced by the two QB sneaks yesterday. Why didn't we try Nance? Why didn't we put Kuhn in? Why didn't we throw a screen to Jackson?

I only bring up Lynch because you did. From what I've seen in Buffalo, he would get that 3rd and 1. Those were the situations that killed us yesterday (yes, along with others). That's what a "serviceable" back would do, and Jackson doesn't do that consistently.

BadgerAnthony

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not take a chance on a guy off the garbage heap, like Willie Parker? Look at what westbrook did last night for the 49ers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why not take a chance on a guy off the garbage heap, like Willie Parker? Look at what westbrook did last night for the 49ers.

Garbage heap...That was Nance from Atlanta..

So we get Parker, who loses their spot?( although with Havner and Chillar out might not be an issue) How long before Parker can help the team? I..E learn the playbook? Is he in football shape?

BadgerAnthony

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't look bad in the preseason with Washington, who knows if hes in good shape. I just don't see this team being dangerous in December/January with 0 running game. Im sure there are open spots plus the team has a boatload of cap room

Nance is more of a pickup off the landfill... I say take a chance on someone who has proved to be a serviceable starter for good NFL teams.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He didn't look bad in the preseason with Washington, who knows if hes in good shape. I just don't see this team being dangerous in December/January with 0 running game. Im sure there are open spots plus the team has a boatload of cap room

so you dont know if he is in good shape but want the Pack to sign him?

BadgerAnthony

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not specifically Parker, he is only 29 (I believe) and isn't currently with an NFL team despite having a decent preseason... just an example. I'm pretty sure Gado currently is available :grin2: .

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to be rude but anyone on the street at this point is on the street for a reason..I wish people would stop looking at "names"

BadgerAnthony

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its worked to some degree for the Saints, Texans and 49ers, not outside the realm of possibility if you ask me that an experienced runningback could be more effective in this system than the current ones.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Its worked to some degree for the Saints, Texans and 49ers, not outside the realm of possibility if you ask me that an experienced runningback could be more effective in this system than the current ones.

Ok who did those teams pick up so late in the year and it worked?

jhutch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were def not gunna sign a veteran back or any back for that matter. Look how long it took nance to get playing time. To bring in another back and have him learn the playbook and everything would just take to long. I think starks will get his shot and who knows wut he will do but will find out soon enough. I still wanna see nance get some more carries once he gets healthy too. On a side note though man i wish we woulda never got rid of sutton i liked that guy. I remember all them DONT CUT SUTTON signs during last years preseason.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
hutch is right

But lets keep "hoping" they will get a big name back even if they guy hasnt played since pre-seaosn and not in football shape, and doesnt know the ploay book

As long as its a name player people will be happy

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson's refusal to acquire a running back after Grant was injured, is starting to come back to haunt this team as they enter their stretch run.

Packerstud

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running Game Solutions

Brandon Jackson: Attempts-132 Yards-514 Touchdowns-3
He is not a 3rd down back. Hes a very good pass blocker, that's all.
He should not be a starting running back for any NFL team.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Ok I agree. But what do we do now?

#1. 5 Wide On Sunday against the Falcons we had 14 plays with 5 WR. On those 14 snaps we gained 104 yards, 5 first downs and 2 TDs. We can't run every play as a 5 wide, so then what's next?

#2 4 Wide Keep any RB or TE in the backfield to protect Rodgers. If the line holds, drift the RB/TE out to the flat for a naked screen.

#3 T-Formation When it's 3rd and 1 or 2 why not? Were not getting the short yardage when we need it now. Which of our next 6 opponents do you think are practicing defending the Power T? When your running game sucks then you need to go back to the basics. There is nothing more basic than the T-Formation.

#4 Howard Green 3rd and 1? Drop your 340 lb Nose Tackle behind Rodgers. If he can't plow forward for a yard nobody can. I'm very serious here. Anyone remember the Bears game in 1985 when Coach Ditka gave the 325 lb rookie DT “The Refrigerator” William Perry the ball to score a 2 yard TD against us on Monday night?

Personalty I like Nance. Hes in great shape and seems to pick the right holes to run at. If he clears his concussion quick enough I would start him instead of Jackson. The only time I'd play Jackson is on passing plays.

Just my 4 cents worth

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Very good solutions...

Instead of complaining about what we cant get or wont get, your thinking of ways to use what we have

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#2 4 Wide Keep any RB or TE in the backfield to protect Rodgers. If the line holds, drift the RB/TE out to the flat for a naked screen.
I kinda lol'd at this. A naked screen is kind of an oxymoron.

but back on topic lets hope James Starks can do something... anything to give us a boost. And The o-line really needs to pull their head out of their *****.

Also I remember in the first Viking game we used the draw quite a bit and some screens. We need to keep the opposing team off balance with these types of plays. I couldn't watch the falcons game so IDK how much of these plays we ran.

Packerstud

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A naked screen is kind of an oxymoron.

I drew up a Flash presentation to demonstrate this but the forum won't let me attach it until I have 10 posts here.

3 Wides to the left, 1 Wide to the right. 1 RB/TE in the backfield. At the snap the line pulls left. The 3 Wides left stay left and run deep pulling their defenders and the Safety commits left. The 1 Wide right engages his defender at the line and pushes upfield. The RB/TE drifts right and catches the pass behind the line of scrimmage. Now the 1 Wide right turns into a blocker and can stay engaged pass the 5 yard chuck rule. The RB/TE uses the 1 Wide right as his only blocker. Flip left/right for ball placement.
Hence the term Naked Screen.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the Single Wing?

The Green idea prpobably won't work because we'd have the 390 lb Green stumbling over the 320 lb just-pretend LG, pile of ****, that is Colledge.

Worst guard in Packer history.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO to Howard Green.

Any imitation to what the Bears did is a nono in my book.

I would go shotgun every single snap and run out of draws and screens. But lucky us I'm not an NFL coach or coordinator...

dgreen1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson - Running Game

To everyone who jumped right back on the Ted Thompson Band Wagon. I will admit he did a decent job with our Patch-Work defense and offense. BUT WE DONT HAVE A RUNNING GAME!

Teds inability to address our running game could ultimately cost the Packer Nation a great run in the playoffs if we make it. With alot of our plays being based off of play action pass, when teams know we don't have a running game we wont be fooling anyone but ourselves.

Brandon Jackson has had enough time to show us that he isnt the right running back for the packers much less any team in the NFL. Honestly Im not even sure Ryan Grant is the right man for the job. The packers need an agile back than can make plays even when the offensive line isint doing their job every time.

Thats my Rant! Thank You

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We still have Starks. he might be able to run if he can play LG at the same time as RB.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol. 13 players on IR an it's the GM's fault?

And what about next year? What if he gets a big name FA, doesn't have the money to re-sign one of his own? Have you thought about that? Guess no.

If you're just interested in contending for this year, go take a look at what happened to the Vikings, and then you tell me if it's a good idea to plan for now...

Members online

Latest posts