The road to HFA in the NFC

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I'm sure we can all assume, the best way we can increase our odds for a trip back to the Super Bowl is to ensure that every NFC opponent must come through Lambeau. The last thing we want is to end up back in Atlanta trying to win another track meet. So, who are the top teams standing in our way?

North - First, we obviously must win our own division. While the Bears are no threat to that, it's possible that the Lions and Vikings will present formidable challenges. Still, there's no reason to think we can't outlast both to win another North title. We are already 1-0 in the division, and I'm anticipating a road loss somewhere, so I think 5-1 is the overall division benchmark that should safely win us the North.

East - Of all the contenders, Philly is probably the one I am least bullish on. They've benefited from a fairly soft schedule which is about to toughen up in a hurry. With games in Carolina, Dallas, L.A, (Rams), and Seattle, and home games vs. the Cowboys, Broncos, and Raiders, I'd be surprised to see them sitting better than 11-5 at the end of the year. Dallas could still get back in the division, so it's a nice benefit to sit 2 games plus the tiebreaker up on them.

South - It's tough to know what to make of the Falcons, who gave us our loss but couldn't beat Buffalo at home and narrowly escaped with wins against the Lions and Bears. I'd also peg them as a likely 11-5 team, though it's obviously too early to say for sure how their season will develop. Carolina looks legitimate again, and at this time because of the tiebreaker it'd be beneficial for them to win this division. So circle the 12/17 game in Carolina as potentially an important one for us. I do expect one of Carolina or Atlanta to win the South, but the good news is the division is full of competitive teams who may very well beat up on each other as we've already seen with Carolina blown out at home in Week 2 against the Saints.

West - The Rams have showed signs of legitimacy, but I still do expect Seattle to prevail here. Their remaining schedule isn't particularly daunting, so I think 11-5 is still plenty attainable for them. Good news for us again there is the tiebreaker is already won.

My prediction? 3 more losses to finish 12-4. One somewhere in the division on the road, one in Carolina and one at Pittsburgh. I also predict that to be good enough for the top seed.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I said 13-3 before the season started, so I'm going to stand by that for pride purposes alone. :D

Not surprised that we lost in Atlanta. That was one of the games I had pegged.

Right now, I see the Packers winning its next 4 games to get to 8-1. Minny will be coming off of a short week, and Rodgers will be looking to avenge that early season loss last year. New Orleans doesn't scare me at home, Rodgers will throw a party, MNF against the Lions at home after the bye works in our favor, and I can't find it in me to pick us to lose against the Bears this season.

So that gets us to a tough stretch of football. Home to Baltimore is a game I had some trepidation about when the schedule first came out. I think that defense will continue getting better, admittedly their offense seems disastrous. I think we win a close one, then at Pittsburgh will be really tough. I'll say we lose there and then beat a good young Tampa team at home. Don't think they'll be prepared for the potential elements at Lambeau.

At Cleveland could get ugly for the home team.

Carolina on the road does worry me. That could be the 3rd loss that I'm anticipating. After that, I don't see the Packers losing at home to Minny. And the last game against Detroit I'm hoping will be a throwaway game, but if not, I trust Rodgers to get it done and secure home field.

Bottom line, Rodgers has mentioned multiple times since the NFCCG that HFA is the focus. He says we can beat anyone at home. And I personally think he's subtly suggesting that it's the new "R-E-L-A-X" or the new "Run the table".

So based on that thought, home field is a lock. We'll secure the #1 seed.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said 13-3 before the season started, so I'm going to stand by that for pride purposes alone. :D

Not surprised that we lost in Atlanta. That was one of the games I had pegged.

Right now, I see the Packers winning its next 4 games to get to 8-1. Minny will be coming off of a short week, and Rodgers will be looking to avenge that early season loss last year. New Orleans doesn't scare me at home, Rodgers will throw a party, MNF against the Lions at home after the bye works in our favor, and I can't find it in me to pick us to lose against the Bears this season.

So that gets us to a tough stretch of football. Home to Baltimore is a game I had some trepidation about when the schedule first came out. I think that defense will continue getting better, admittedly their offense seems disastrous. I think we win a close one, then at Pittsburgh will be really tough. I'll say we lose there and then beat a good young Tampa team at home. Don't think they'll be prepared for the potential elements at Lambeau.

At Cleveland could get ugly for the home team.

Carolina on the road does worry me. That could be the 3rd loss that I'm anticipating. After that, I don't see the Packers losing at home to Minny. And the last game against Detroit I'm hoping will be a throwaway game, but if not, I trust Rodgers to get it done and secure home field.

Bottom line, Rodgers has mentioned multiple times since the NFCCG that HFA is the focus. He says we can beat anyone at home. And I personally think he's subtly suggesting that it's the new "R-E-L-A-X" or the new "Run the table".

So based on that thought, home field is a lock. We'll secure the #1 seed.

Pittsburgh could he tough or a Packer blow out depending on which Steeler team shows up.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One exciting thing about this year is that there's no real team that stands out as 'wow, this team will be really tough to beat.'

New England looks vulnerable. Pittsburgh looks vulnerable. Atlanta...give them to us at Lambeau in January and we'll win. I'm confident of that. KC looks pretty legit, but if we're to that point it means we made it to the Super Bowl and I like our chances.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pittsburgh could he tough or a Packer blow out depending on which Steeler team shows up.

Pittsburgh is better than they've shown, no doubt. They arguably have the best RB and the best WR in football. Unless Roethelisberger really is done, they'll get their offense going at some point.

D

Deleted member 6794

My prediction? 3 more losses to finish 12-4. One somewhere in the division on the road, one in Carolina and one at Pittsburgh. I also predict that to be good enough for the top seed.

I hope the Packers are able to win at Carolina as the game against the Panthers could be crucial for the Packers' chances to secure home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers get so much damn hype yet are mediocre every year.

That being said, legitimately think we can go 15-1. @ Atlanta is the only thing that can keep Rodgers out of the super bowl.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles looked like a legitimate contender last night, especially on defense. With the NFC East looking weak overall, they might be our biggest obstacle to HFA. Carolina's chances might have taken a big hit with Keuchly going down with his 3rd concussion.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steelers, Saints, Carolina and all the other teams are looking at the Packers and are worried. We are looking very good and will only get better as the season goes on. Getting our OL back and playing there normal level; getting House back as well as a few more games under Kings' and J Jones' belt; will make us all the more competitive.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

That being said, legitimately think we can go 15-1. @ Atlanta is the only thing that can keep Rodgers out of the super bowl.

Steelers are 32-16 with three playoff wins over the last three seasons...

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steelers are 32-16 with three playoff wins over the last three seasons...

Is that good? :)

The Steelers this year have been underwhelming but a ton of that is on Big Ben. He hasn't been good against almost anyone. They have done just enough to win games but they sure are not clicking and really don't have a quality win outside Minnesota at home

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we can get #2 Seed but getting #1 Seed will be tough as Atlanta is still a Juggernaut.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Eagles looked like a legitimate contender last night, especially on defense. With the NFC East looking weak overall, they might be our biggest obstacle to HFA. Carolina's chances might have taken a big hit with Keuchly going down with his 3rd concussion.
Philly does currently look like the biggest threat, but a lot can change in the coming weeks. I'll say this. I would feel considerably more comfortable traveling to Philly to face a quarterback that would be appearing in his first postseason, as opposed to traveling to Carolina to attempt to contain Cam and all of the challenges he presents to a defense. Which is why I was happy to see the Eagles win last night.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philly does currently look like the biggest threat, but a lot can change in the coming weeks. I'll say this. I would feel considerably more comfortable traveling to Philly to face a quarterback that would be appearing in his first postseason, as opposed to traveling to Carolina to attempt to contain Cam and all of the challenges he presents to a defense. Which is why I was happy to see the Eagles win last night.
We also have a regular season head to head against Carolina ..... so I would prefer that they keep losing to make that game less critical.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think we can get #2 Seed but getting #1 Seed will be tough as Atlanta is still a Juggernaut.
Don't get me wrong, I certainly agree that the thought of going to Atlanta in the postseason still scares me to death, and they could very well secure the #1 seed, but if you're looking for reasons to be optimistic, outside of the game they played against us, they beat a team that's somewhere between mediocre and average in Chicago and had to have the full 60 minutes to get it done. Detroit is a game that they should have lost, IMO. I didn't like the call at the end. And against Buffalo, they got knocked around a little bit, albeit without Jones and Sanu for long stretches.

I'll also point out that Matt Ryan has thrown 5 interceptions in his last 2 games.

We'll find out in the coming weeks who the Atlanta Falcons really are. There's a 5 game stretch coming up for them soon, 4 of which are on the road (@Patriots, @Jets, @Panthers, Cowboys, @Seahawks)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We also have a regular season head to head against Carolina ..... so I would prefer that they keep losing to make that game less critical.
Additionally though, we could need for Carolina to take care of the Falcons in at least one of their two meetings this season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True... and in fact Carolina's remaining schedule outside of their own division looks fairly easy... So I am guessing that game in Charlotte may be very important for the Pack.

Reaction score
We're in a good position right now. Especially if we get can squeak out a win in MN. That would put us at 5-1 and going back to Lambeau with the following week off. We also have yet to get a few starters back in the near weeks and our 2017 overall draft picks #93 and #108 injected into the defense.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I certainly agree that the thought of going to Atlanta in the postseason still scares me to death, and they could very well secure the #1 seed, but if you're looking for reasons to be optimistic, outside of the game they played against us, they beat a team that's somewhere between mediocre and average in Chicago and had to have the full 60 minutes to get it done. Detroit is a game that they should have lost, IMO. I didn't like the call at the end. And against Buffalo, they got knocked around a little bit, albeit without Jones and Sanu for long stretches.

I'll also point out that Matt Ryan has thrown 5 interceptions in his last 2 games.

We'll find out in the coming weeks who the Atlanta Falcons really are. There's a 5 game stretch coming up for them soon, 4 of which are on the road (@Patriots, @Jets, @Panthers, Cowboys, @Seahawks)

Yes, they've kicked our *** twice in a row. They seem to have our number. No matter how much they look mediocre against other teams, I'd still not want to face them at MB stadium.

Our game vs Panthers is a must win.

D

Deleted member 6794

While the Steelers have struggled early this season they were definitely pretty good over the past three seasons.

Eagles looked like a legitimate contender last night, especially on defense. Carolina's chances might have taken a big hit with Keuchly going down with his 3rd concussion.

I think the Packers match up way better with the Eagles than they do against the Falcons. FWIW it seems the Panthers were overly cautious with Kuechly yesterday as he didn't show any symptoms today according to their defensive coordinator.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That Part.

If Zeke can somehow escape his suspension, ATL could go 0-5 putting them as a Wildcard team or missing the Playoffs altogether if they implode.

That's likely a dream scenario though however I do expect them to go 2-3 with wins only against the Jets and Cowboys. Depending on if Carolina let's New Orleans and Tampa get any more upsets, it's a race to #1 with Philly, and they'll definitely drop a few in the NFC East.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'm not so sure about that.

Two of their wins are one score games against the Bears and Lions, and they've lost at home to the Bills. I may be too stubborn with this, but I'm still expecting regression. I kind of figured they'd be super hot in week 2 opening that stadium but the rest of their games have essentially pointed to a sizeable step backwards.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Zeke can somehow escape his suspension, ATL could go 0-5 putting them as a Wildcard team or missing the Playoffs altogether if they implode.

That's likely a dream scenario though however I do expect them to go 2-3 with wins only against the Jets and Cowboys. Depending on if Carolina let's New Orleans and Tampa get any more upsets, it's a race to #1 with Philly, and they'll definitely drop a few in the NFC East.

Two of their wins are one score games against the Bears and Lions, and they've lost at home to the Bills. I may be too stubborn with this, but I'm still expecting regression. I kind of figured they'd be super hot in week 2 opening that stadium but the rest of their games have essentially pointed to a sizeable step backwards.

I still expect the Falcons to be one of the primary contenders for the #1 seed in the NFC but definitely wouldn't mind being wrong about it.

Members online

No members online now.