The Khalil Mack thread -- now a Bear for $155million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I know this has been covered before, but people have to get the notion out of their heads that a player is going to take a "team friendly deal" or a "hometown discount" and this will equate to millions of $$'s saved. Does it happen to some extent? Probably, but for the most part players seem to want top dollar and if they can't get it from their "home team", they will seek it elsewhere.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this has been covered before, but people have to get the notion out of their heads that a player is going to take a "team friendly deal" or a "hometown discount" and this will equate to millions of $$'s saved. Does it happen to some extent? Probably, but for the most part players seem to want top dollar and if they can't get it from their "home team", they will seek it elsewhere.

Depends on player quality. Probably will not happen at his prime or after a peak season. Jordy will have taken a hometown discount to stay with us. Or cases like Mo Wilks, where they may take a team friendly deal to get back to form. But yeah, it's not that common.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Depends on player quality. Probably will not happen at his prime or after a peak season. Jordy will have taken a hometown discount to stay with us. Or cases like Mo Wilks, where they may take a team friendly deal to get back to form. But yeah, it's not that common.

The "prove it" one year contracts are a bit different. Those seem to be with players that once showed a lot of talent and are coming off a bad year or 2 and have very few options, other than playing for what could appear to be a discount.

Jordy probably would have been one of those cases where a veteran player was willing to take less, to finish his career with the same team.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy probably would have been one of those cases where a veteran player was willing to take less, to finish his career with the same team.

I was doing some googling on this. Think Amendola may have taken a pay cut to stay with Pats.

Also as cherry on this cake, Roger Goodell took a $1m pay-cut to keep his commissioner's job in 2015. Poor guy's salary was only $34.1 million that year. My heart bleeds for him!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was doing some googling on this. Think Amendola may have taken a pay cut to stay with Pats.

Also as cherry on this cake, Roger Goodell took a $1m pay-cut to keep his commissioner's job in 2015. Poor guy's salary was only $34.1 million that year. My heart bleeds for him!

Amendola, if I recall, took a pay cut not to be "team friendly", but to keep his job with the Pats. Again, there are going to be cases where a vet might appear to sign a "team friendly deal", but a guy like Kenny Clark, who will be 25 when his 5th year is up, won't be signing a heavily discounted contract just to stay with the Packers.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1: There's almost no scenario where we trade for Mack and Mathews is on the roster with him.
Can you see Rodgers walking into Gute's office and saying "Get the Mack deal done. I want Matthews out of town, he's been horning in on my State Farm commercials for too long now. Double check!"?

D

Deleted member 6794

It's funny, stat wise, Mack is basically what Matthews was. then one got a big contract and hasn't produced to that level since and the other is looking for an even bigger one. I think Mack is a more complete player, but his hype now is what Matthews was at that point in his career too and we know how everyone feels about Matthews now.

While Matthews actually had more sacks than Mack during his first four seasons in the league Khalil has definitely been the more disruptive player overall.

I would add that Clay has been less effective due to the defense around him. He seems quick and strong out there, but too often the QB can quickly dump a pass into the open middle of the field. Another 1/2 second of coverage and Clay gets him. Tighten up coverage and I do think Clay is back at that level. Only area I think he doesnt look good, is he misses tackles he should make sometimes

Mack hasn't played on a good defense either with the Raiders not finishing better than 20th in points allowed during any of the past four seasons.

Or cases like Mo Wilks, where they may take a team friendly deal to get back to form.

Wilkerson didn't take a discount but after struggling for two seasons didn't receive any better offers.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way I could see the Packers being able to afford Khalil Mack is if Cobb was sent to the Raiders.

Cobb + a 1st rounder + the Packers' 2nd round pick. The Raiders might consider that. Not sure the Raiders would really be interested in Cobb.

Dump CM III at the end of the season and the Packers might still have some cap room to sign their 2019 FAs, which will be minus Cobb and minus Matthews.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's the same story that was going around earlier in the week. Has a lot to do with our two first round picks next year, I gather. But I wonder if these odds makers would be making Green Bay the favorite if Ted Thompson was still the GM?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's the same story that was going around earlier in the week. Has a lot to do with our two first round picks next year, I gather. But I wonder if these odds makers would be making Green Bay the favorite if Ted Thompson was still the GM?
the few offers I have seen were a 2 1sts and Hundley, a 1st and a 2nd and Hundley, due to Oaklands QB situation. Also Cobb was mentioned as a bait player.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To trade for Mack, the Packers have to get the Raiders to rework his contract, if they don't, you just bought yourself a one year player for a steep price and a guy who is currently refusing to suit up for that one year price of $13+M. So after that contract is done, the Packers are going to have to come up with enough cap to pay Mack around $24M/year. Depending on how the deal is worked, I doubt the Packers can cover 2018 without trading/cutting Matthews or Cobb. Not sure why Cobb's name is in the conversation, unless people really want to be down to one WR with starting experience, Adams. Matthews is about the only guy that makes sense, gain one OLB, lose another.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way I could see the Packers being able to afford Khalil Mack is if Cobb was sent to the Raiders.

Cobb + a 1st rounder + the Packers' 2nd round pick. The Raiders might consider that. Not sure the Raiders would really be interested in Cobb.

Dump CM III at the end of the season and the Packers might still have some cap room to sign their 2019 FAs, which will be minus Cobb and minus Matthews.

They were in 2015 offseason as they actually offered Cobb more than we did.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They were in 2015 offseason as they actually offered Cobb more than we did.
That was 3 years ago, after Cobb had a great year, we all know how that has worked out for the Packers. The Raiders currently have Jordy, Cooper and Martavis Bryant at WR, they don't "need" Cobb, but they probably will need a guy like Matthews to try and take Mack's place.

D

Deleted member 6794

That would leave the Packers with an alarming lack of experience at wide receiver. Trading Matthews to the Raiders would seem to make way more sense for both teams.

the few offers I have seen were a 2 1sts and Hundley, a 1st and a 2nd and Hundley, due to Oaklands QB situation.

Hundley wouldn't be an upgrade over Manuel.

To trade for Mack, the Packers have to get the Raiders to rework his contract, if they don't, you just bought yourself a one year player for a steep price and a guy who is currently refusing to suit up for that one year price of $13+M.

The Raiders definitely would have to allow the Packers to negotiate a deal with Mack before finalizing a trade.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would leave the Packers with an alarming lack of experience at wide receiver. Trading Matthews to the Raiders would seem to make way more sense for both teams.

I just don't see the Raiders taking on Matthews' $11 million salary as a replacement OLB. Matthews isn't in the same league as Khalil Mack, is old and injury prone. It would be a waste of cap space for them IMO.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see the Raiders taking on Matthews' $11 million salary as a replacement OLB. Matthews isn't in the same league as Khalil Mack, is old and injury prone. It would be a waste of cap space for them IMO.

All yall that hate on Matthews are crazy dude is a very good player. Yes the hamstring every year is annoying but cm3 is an elite player in the NFL. There just aren't guys that can do what he can growing on trees. List the edge rushers that are better then him, it's not many?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All yall that hate on Matthews are crazy dude is a very good player. Yes the hamstring every year is annoying but cm3 is an elite player in the NFL. There just aren't guys that can do what he can growing on trees. List the edge rushers that are better then him, it's not many?
Think this post would have made more sense 5 years ago. ;) Clay isn't even top 15 anymore. I even found a list of top 30 from 2017 and he isn't on it.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-2017-ranking-the-30-best-pass-rushers-060417

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Was an elite player.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think this post would have made more sense 5 years ago. ;) Clay isn't even top 15 anymore. I even found a list of top 30 from 2017 and he isn't on it.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-2017-ranking-the-30-best-pass-rushers-060417

Ok and I just looked at that list and it's complete Bs. They're are plenty of dudes on that list that you'd way rather have clay Matthews then. Seriously Robert Quinn, Carlos Dunlap, and Shane Ray yeah right haha and I bet if I looked at the rest of the list I'd find 15 more that aren't as good as clay

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ok and I just looked at that list and it's complete Bs. They're are plenty of dudes on that list that you'd way rather have clay Matthews then. Seriously Robert Quinn, Carlos Dunlap, and Shane Ray yeah right haha and I bet if I looked at the rest of the list I'd find 15 more that aren't as good as clay

Ok that's yall opinion but you'll see dudes gonna have double digit sacks in 2018

I understand your optimism and hope, I share it with you. Would love Clay to get back to where he was in 2012, but I don't expect it.

So all homerism aside, if you are talking about sacks, Matthews was tied for 36th in the NFL last year.

2016: 58th in NFL
2015: 39th
2014: 12th
2013: 40th
2012: 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts