The REAL story on Coach Bates

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Well this link takes into account more then just yards allowed ( which is how the D last year achieved their rankings of #1 and #7, that people like to mention..)

source

Ranked #18 which is more then 16..

16 is half of 32 ( for # of teams) ...So 16~~~most people would call that the AVERAGE..

Since 18 is more then 16 the D last year was BELOW AVERAGE..

Bate sIMO did an excellent job with what he had to work with..

But I think last year people were willing to give him TIME to make it work, this year no one seems willing to do that.

That's because this year we are not 1st, 7th, 16th or 18th... We are 31st in total defense. Since there are 32 teams in the league (as you pointed out), that makes us one position better than absolute worst. Even with Slowit at the helm we never sunk this low, and this abysmal display probably answers Blackjackking's question why a lot of us are upset that Bates is gone.

However, I am sure the facts are not going to get in the way of some posters here from continuing to argue that Sanders is a better choice for DC than Bates, or from denying the fact that our defense has majorly declined under the direction of Sanders. Some of the posts I have read lately would have you believe that the Packers are 4-1 with a guaranteed playoff berth and a chance at winning the Superbowl. :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

[EDIT] I noticed my Karma has declined from 1 to -2 since I started posting in this thread. I guess the truth hurts after all.

:whippin:

I do not think I said Sanders is as good as or better then Bates, all I was doing was pointing out that Bates got the D last year to be just AVERAGE or slightly below average..

I think one of the biggest things from this year compared to last year is the D's ability to seem to stop a team when it gets in the red zone.

This year the D is ranked #7 in that stat..15 poss~~6 tds, 6 fg...
red zone stats

Last years stats 15 poss ~~9 tds, 4 fgs after 5 games ranked 27th
2005 , 5 games red zone

They have more sacks after 5 games then what the d had last year after 5 games and rank #10

But this years D is giving up the bigger plays that are TDS than what last years D did...I think that is what people are noticing, and rightly so...Stop giving up those types of TDs on the big pass plays and the D would be just about AVERAGE..

They have given up 28 20+ yard pass plays..and rank last..Indy has only given up 6...

they have given up 6 40+ yard pass plays, and rank near bottom, Indy has given up NONE..

Those big plays are a result of what I think DB being out of postion for what ever reason, which never seemed to happen with last years D..

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never saw so many people fall in love with a DC that coached on a losing team for only one year. He isn't with any other team for one reason and one reason only, Bates is not that good! Packer fans please set your goals a bit higher, look for an up-in-coming DC like a Ron Rivera not a has been like Jim Bates!

Let's see if we get this correct. According to NFL.com:

Under Slowit, we had the 25th overall ranked defense.
Under Bates we had the 7th overall ranked defense.
Under Sanders, we are proudly the 31st overall ranked defense.

All three of these DCs utilized mostly the same personnel, with minor upgrades between each year. Of course, these stats mean nothing because apparently the 7th overall is actually the 18th, which means our 31st must be closer to 42nd. :roll:

Regardless, it is obvious that Bates is the best DC we have had in 3 years. When Wannstedt left Miami, the Fish were at an abysmal 1-8 record. After Bates assumed HC duties they beat 3 of their next 7 opponents, including the Superbowl Champion New England Patriots.

As DC in Miami from 2000-2004, Jim Bates fielded a top 10 defense (if NFL.com stats are to be believed - see above) and produced 18 Pro Bowl selections.

OF course, feel free to continue to wallow in your ignorance of both Bates coaching record, and the improvements he made to the Packers defense. It is probably a lot easier than coming to the realization that if we still had Bates at the helm, our defense would actually be able to stop a 5 year old, and quite possibly win some games for us.

IMO, letting Bates walk was the single biggest mistake TT has made since he began his tenure in Green Bay, but I am sure some here will continue to twist the facts in a lame attempt to prove otherwise.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts