The problem of franchising Flynn.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On another note...hindsight being 20/20...if the Packers would have done tag and trade it's looking like they'd be able to generate quite a bidding war between the Dolphins and Browns. I'm guessing we'd have been able to get that 1st rounder after all.

With the Redskins getting RG3, and Payton supposedly turned off by the media circus in Miami, they will both be bidding for Flynn.

I say this knowing full well that none of this was known before the tag deadline, just thought I'd stir the pot a little :p What can I say...I'm bored.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This business of determining who the worst defense was last year is silly...is there anyone here that would say the Packers D wasn't one of the very worst in all of football last year?

They were indeed...let's just leave it at that.

Why? Because YOU said so? Sorry. Doesn't work that way. You can't declare your opinion to be a fact.

Prior to the last meaningless game where our best defenders didn't even play, the Packers had one of the 11 best defenses at preventing the other team from scoring, which is what defenses are supposed to do. THAT is an irrefutable fact.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? Because YOU said so? Sorry. Doesn't work that way. You can't declare your opinion to be a fact.

Prior to the last meaningless game where our best defenders didn't even play, the Packers had one of the 11 best defenses at preventing the other team from scoring, which is what defenses are supposed to do. THAT is an irrefutable fact.

Right you are good sir...my opinion does not = fact.

I just hope that the Packer brass shares my view of how the defense performed last year, and aren't patting themselves on the back telling themselves they were one of the top defenses in the league...because if they are, then it's only going to get worse.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On another note...hindsight being 20/20...if the Packers would have done tag and trade it's looking like they'd be able to generate quite a bidding war between the Dolphins and Browns. I'm guessing we'd have been able to get that 1st rounder after all.

With the Redskins getting RG3, and Payton supposedly turned off by the media circus in Miami, they will both be bidding for Flynn.
I still can't believe something wasn't pre-arranged with Philbin and Miami.
I suspect their owner is the one who put the stop on anything there because he wants Manning because that's BY FAR his best way to sell tickets.
They never sell out and their fans have been looking for a real QB since Marino left.

Of course, those IDIOTS had Drew Brees begging to do there about 6 years ago, but they decided to go with Daunte Culpepper instead. Unbelievable.

Now I hope they lose out on Flynn too, and get stuck reaching for Ryan Tannehill.
Hell, Culpepper is still available. Try him again. Or Donovan McNabb. He was drafted the year after Peyton Manning IIRC.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I still can't believe something wasn't pre-arranged with Philbin and Miami.
I suspect their owner is the one who put the stop on anything there because he wants Manning because that's BY FAR his best way to sell tickets.
They never sell out and their fans have been looking for a real QB since Marino left.

Of course, those IDIOTS had Drew Brees begging to do there about 6 years ago, but they decided to go with Daunte Culpepper instead. Unbelievable.

Now I hope they lose out on Flynn too, and get stuck reaching for Ryan Tannehill.
Hell, Culpepper is still available. Try him again. Or Donovan McNabb. He was drafted the year after Peyton Manning IIRC.

Best way to sell tickets is with the GOAT. Matt Flynn.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, 15-2...what a terrible job he's done putting a terrible team together.
TBH, I liked the 10-6 season better.
And better than the 11-5 season in 2009 too.
Regular season W-L records really are overrated.

Bottom line is we are good every year since 2008 when the defense AND special teams were horid.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
TBH, I liked the 10-6 season better.
And better than the 11-5 season in 2009 too.
Regular season W-L records really are overrated.

Bottom line is we are good every year since 2008 when the defense AND special teams were horid.

I understand what you are trying to say. But W-L records actually mean a lot in my estimation. How often have we heard many coaches and players say how difficult it is just to win any one game in the NFL, let alone playoffs and then the Super Bowl? It's called the Super Bowl for a reason. It's the hardest thing to achieve in the NFL. A successful team racks up the W's and minimizes the L's in my opinion. I think TT has a very successful record with this team. Besides, one could say, any team that can win 15 games in the regular season *should* be able to win in the post season. But as Dan said; "anything can happen in the playoffs." The Packers very well *could* have won against the Giants. If they had, this discussion would be moot. But it gives us something to talk about in the off season.

I just don't want to see this forum degenerate into the "fire TT", "fire MM", personna of other forums.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't want to see this forum degenerate into the "fire TT", "fire MM", personna of other forums.
Right that would be nonsense.
I love McCarthy as a head coach. I think he's as good as any. Smart. Good attitude.
I think Ted is one of the best at evaluating collegiate talent. One of the best 5 for sure.

I just think he needs to, and can, utilize free agency a bit. We are at the top right now and are not a bad destination for other players, well those who's main goal is getting a ring. Like Steve Hutchinson who my best friend talks to. He wants to go to a team with hopes of winning a title.

No we don't need him as we have TJ Lang and Josh Sitton at guard now.
But if Wells leaves, they might want to slide TJ over to center, and Hutch would be a nice addition at LG.
I believe TT drafted him with Seattle.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Right that would be nonsense.
I love McCarthy as a head coach. I think he's as good as any. Smart. Good attitude.
I think Ted is one of the best at evaluating collegiate talent. One of the best 5 for sure.

I just think he needs to, and can, utilize free agency a bit. We are at the top right now and are not a bad destination for other players, well those who's main goal is getting a ring. Like Steve Hutchinson who my best friend talks to. He wants to go to a team with hopes of winning a title.

No we don't need him as we have TJ Lang and Josh Sitton at guard now.
But if Wells leaves, they might want to slide TJ over to center, and Hutch would be a nice addition at LG.
I believe TT drafted him with Seattle.

I noticed a bunch of free agent o lineman. So plenty of them should be available later. At this point in time, I've decided one can never predict Ted Thompson's moves. He goes about things in what seems an un-orthodox fashion to us, but somehow it often works. He might go after a free agent, it would seem like sense to us. But on the other hand. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't. I think he's really hard to predict. Mike Sherman was easy to predict. Ron Wolf was easy to predict..but Thompson, who knows?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts