The Perry Effect.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it is just me, but I am super excited about Nick returning to our D. He showed some GREAT potential last season in the 5 (I think.) games that we had him. That shot that he gave Andrew Luck was amazing, and will be lodged in my memory banks for a long, long time.

When it comes to scheming, it is no secret that every OC, and O-line coach focuses their attention on Clay Matthews. I mean, how could you not, right? The guy is a beast and last season he averaged over 1 sack/game. I think this will help Perry out a LOT. I think if Perry was healthy for the whole season he would have had 7-9 sacks easy and that could have freed Matthews up for EVEN MORE.

I hope to see him come out strong this season! What is your take on him? Expect great things from him, or think he is a flash in the pan?

--Rob.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Remember that he played a few of those games with a wrist condition. I expect him back healthy, and I expect him to stay healthy. He should be factor next year, or at the least an upgrade over Walden.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was good against the run last year, but he was clearly outplayed as a pass rusher by Walden and by Moses. We'll see now that he's had more time to adjust to OLB. Maybe he'll start to look like the guy we're all been expecting. I'd love to see him the way the OP does, but much like Worthy he didn't look anything like the guy we saw in college.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing Perry play injury-free but I don't have "expectations" that he will. An injury can happen to any player at any time, whether or not they're labeled "injury prone". If Perry is healthy IMO he has to improve in two areas: First from what I've read and heard, he needs to play with more passion. If passion were contagious proximity to Kevin Greene would be the prescription for that "ailment". The other thing he needs to work on IMO is adding to his repertoire of pass rushing moves. So far he has used three: bull rush to the left shoulder, bull rush to the right shoulder and bull rush straight on. ;) Again, Greene should be a big help in this regard but Perry has to rely on more than just brute strength, even though he's extremely strong. Having said that, I did see some progress and he has the physical tools to succeed.

BTW, someone mentioned expecting Perry to stay healthy and that Greene was effusive in praise for Perry. Not sure if that was you HyponGrey, but if it was, I'd like to see a link to Greene praising Perry because I don't remember anything out of the ordinary in that regard.

H

HardRightEdge

In the long run I think the best bet for Perry is inside. He's not really a stand-up edge rusher. He's more of a straight line guy. He'd have a ways to go in polishing coverage skills to be a 3 down player inside in zone, and he'd have to learn the game from a different perspective, but he's physical and fast...I can picture him stuffing in the middle and shooting gaps in the blitz.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry's loss was understated for our defense last season. He was on pace for 8ish sacks, which is a respectable number for a rookie learning a new position. And his bull-rush was very effective in collapsing the pocket. That, too, is critical to a defense's success. Walden and Moses were completely ineffective in doing this and significantly worse against the run.

With that being said, he needs to make some big strides this off-season. I agree with most takes that he needs to develop a repetoire of moves. But almost as important in my mind, he needs to learn to play in space in coverage. He was a complete sieve when he did drop back.

OP
OP
Chicocheese

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think all the time sitting will get him more motivated than having a 7-sack night would.

Hey, JenningsLongCatch...are you gonna change your handle to JordyLongCatch?

I agree with this. He looked good for the handful of plays you were able to watch. He's a "high potential" guy who needs to realize his potential.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what I saw, but didn't see enough to make an informed decision
Oh I also liked what I saw, and my informed decision based on that (and based on Ted liking him enough to nab with the 1st rd pick) is that he's going to be a good one for us, for sure, as long as injuries don't kill him.
Remember that he played a few of those games with a wrist condition. I expect him back healthy, and I expect him to stay healthy. He should be factor next year, or at the least an upgrade over Walden.
He actually hurt that wrist in the first game against the Niners, so he actually played all of them with that condition.
But then he hurt his knee in the blowout win in Houston and all of a sudden, went on IR from the wrist, they said.
BTW, someone mentioned expecting Perry to stay healthy and that Greene was effusive in praise for Perry.
Has anyone else here, EVER, utilized the word "effusive" on any thread on this site??

I think ThxJackVainisi deserves a special award for getting effusive into a post here! :cool:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
BTW, someone mentioned expecting Perry to stay healthy and that Greene was effusive in praise for Perry. Not sure if that was you HyponGrey, but if it was, I'd like to see a link to Greene praising Perry because I don't remember anything out of the ordinary in that regard.
I said healthy, but I was not the guy saying Greene was singing Perry's praises. I know it sounds like me, but I'm pretty sure it was Rizzo or DeviDon

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what I saw, but didn't see enough to make an informed decision

Pretty much this.

I'm a firm believer you have to give rookies time to develop. I never expected him to be a stud right away.. I mean, Matthews wasn't, so why should I expect Perry to be? I too agree he looked like he was coming on at the time of his injury, and can only hope he'll be able to continue that trend, and stay healthy, this season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of playing rookies until they demonstrate knowledge of the pro game and ability to compete. Perry looked good for a rookie thrust into a starting role from Day 1, but I'm glad that he had to watch from the sidelines for half the season. I think it will allow him to learn the game better than had he played a full season.

Many fans underestimate the mental side of the game, which is best learned from watching others and watching film while supplementing with increased game time to apply knowledge and learn from mistakes. There is a lot of pressure for any rookie to learn and perform from the beginning.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far he has used three: bull rush to the left shoulder, bull rush to the right shoulder and bull rush straight on. ;) Again, Greene should be a big help in this regard but Perry has to rely on more than just brute strength, even though he's extremely strong. Having said that, I did see some progress and he has the physical tools to succeed.

This could not be more correct imo. All he tried to do last year was out muscle the OL, which he has the ability to do but not on a regular every pass rush basis. He was learning a new position so I don't think anyone was surprised with his lack of fine tuning at the OLB position. While I'm not counting on him to learn a nice spin move or develop better vision I don't doubt that he could do it with a full year and a handful of NFL games now under his belt, the physical tools are obviously not the issue with him. In summation it would be foolish to count on him to develop into something similar to Matthews next season, but there is no reason to think he won't be a huge improvement from last year at LOLB. I'm excited to see him on the field next year.

BTW that Luck sack showed nothing but how hard he can hit, he was unblocked, a present Kevin Greene could make that tackle.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing is I thought one of Perry's "strengths" coming out of college ,from a scouts perspective, was his array of pass rush moves. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Whatever the case, he was trying to make that transition to OLB, from what I remember the defensive coaches couldn't wait to get Walden back from suspention, and being put on IR surely hurt his development and transition from DE to OLB. Has good physical tools to work with, it will be job of coaches to help him make that switch.

I think it's anyone's guess as to what to expect from Perry...I remember when he was the pick in the first round I wasn't excited because all the analysts said he needed more "passion" and "energy"...which I see as an atribute you either have or don't have. Can't be coached IMO.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Funny thing is I thought one of Perry's "strengths" coming out of college ,from a scouts perspective, was his array of pass rush moves. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
Definitely wrong on that. He had a good bull rush, and could speed rush, but he had nothing in the way of hand techniques.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm neutral on Perry. Looked bad in coverage and as mentioned above needs to learn how to use his hands to get blockers off of him. Hopefully the guy can be the missing piece we need to help CM3.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope the most conservative medical staff on earth has him ready for this season. Going on the Packer IR is like going to siberia these days.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope the most conservative medical staff on earth has him ready for this season. Going on the Packer IR is like going to siberia these days.

haha yea no kidding. Sam shields got kicked in the shin and missed what?? 5 weeks?? haha smh geeze.

H

HardRightEdge

He may have been considered not a good enough player to overcome the handicap of a cast/club, so they redshirted him. Mario Williams had a similar injury, was playing poorly, went out and got his own opinions and his own doc, took off a couple weeks for surgery, came back with a cast, played well the back half of the year. Perry is not Williams.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... Looked bad in coverage and as mentioned above needs to learn how to use his hands to get blockers off of him. Hopefully the guy can be the missing piece we need to help CM3.
^^^
Agree.

Posted by HRE. Best analysis of Perry.

"In the long run I think the best bet for Perry is inside. He's not really a stand-up edge rusher. He's more of a straight line guy. He'd have a ways to go in polishing coverage skills to be a 3 down player inside in zone, and he'd have to learn the game from a different perspective, but he's physical and fast...I can picture him stuffing in the middle and shooting gaps in the blitz."

Reaction score
He just needs to be better than Walden (who was the worst rated 3-4 OLB the last two years by PFF)....
Dude has a bullrush and nothing else? - Moses has a Run Around the Tackle and nothing else....
Both better than a Walden who has nothing at all.... I'm fine with a one trick pony complimenting Clay.
I'm more worried about the lack of consistent bullrush from the middle - QBs stepping up in the pocket as 3 fat guys sort of just stand there waving their arms in the air....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts