The Packers & The Super Bowl

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the Super Bowl last night made me realize a number of things about the Packers:

1) Joe Flacco's contract is going to cost the Packers A LOT. If Flacco gets $20M/year that should be the starting point for Rodgers' contract. On the plus side it'll also cost the Bears a lot of money because Cutler will want just as much as Flacco.

2) The Packers need a nose tackle if they are going to keep running a 3-4 defense. Ngata is a beast in the middle and was a main contributor to the Ravens first half lead. The loss of Ngata should have been discussed more as a reason for San Francisco's second half comeback. Ngata literally owns the middle of the field.

3) It is really something to watch a team with four good linebackers (San Francisco). Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman are killers in the run game and play very good coverage. AJ Hawk and Brad Jones, who hopefully have new teams next year, should watch film on those two guys. Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks are very good in coverage and even better rushing the quarterback. The dual threat of both players is really something to watch.

4) Finley has to get his act together. The tight-ends last night were everywhere. Vernon Davis had his way with the Ravens linebackers and safeties. Dennis Pita helped Flacco spread the field better and offered a big target in the red zone. Check the stats from last night. The tight-ends were the stars of the show last night.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with point 3. I don't know what influence Flaco's contract will have will have on Rodgers contract. I think Raji needs help on the sides like a Paul Krueger.

Vwernon Davis is a special TE. I think Finley is as good as Pita. You did notice Pita dropped a third down pass didn't you? :)

H

HardRightEdge

Watching the Super Bowl last night made me realize a number of things about the Packers:

1) Joe Flacco's contract is going to cost the Packers A LOT. If Flacco gets $20M/year that should be the starting point for Rodgers' contract. On the plus side it'll also cost the Bears a lot of money because Cutler will want just as much as Flacco.

2) The Packers need a nose tackle if they are going to keep running a 3-4 defense. Ngata is a beast in the middle and was a main contributor to the Ravens first half lead. The loss of Ngata should have been discussed more as a reason for San Francisco's second half comeback. Ngata literally owns the middle of the field.

3) It is really something to watch a team with four good linebackers (San Francisco). Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman are killers in the run game and play very good coverage. AJ Hawk and Brad Jones, who hopefully have new teams next year, should watch film on those two guys. Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks are very good in coverage and even better rushing the quarterback. The dual threat of both players is really something to watch.

4) Finley has to get his act together. The tight-ends last night were everywhere. Vernon Davis had his way with the Ravens linebackers and safeties. Dennis Pita helped Flacco spread the field better and offered a big target in the red zone. Check the stats from last night. The tight-ends were the stars of the show last night.

Pitta had a drop. Davis had a deep sideline ball go off his hands; according to the typical standard of posts on this forum, Davis should be cut.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
A power blocking O-line. This team needs a nasty O-line and they need to dump whatever bits and pieces of Zone blocking is utilized. Watching last night's SB, the common element, in my opinion, of these two Super Bowl teams was SERIOUS control at the line of scrimmage. They need great big fat guys to open running lanes AND to keep Aaron off of his backside.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree on all points with the original poster, but would like to point out that Rodgers is much more likely to not turn his contract into a public spectacle like Flaccos is about to turn into. He values his rep too much to do that. It will be a blockbuster deal but Im not that worried over it. Matthews is more of a concern to me.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A power blocking O-line. This team needs a nasty O-line and they need to dump whatever bits and pieces of Zone blocking is utilized. Watching last night's SB, the common element, in my opinion, of these two Super Bowl teams was SERIOUS control at the line of scrimmage. They need great big fat guys to open running lanes AND to keep Aaron off of his backside.

Watching Anthony Davis, Iuapati and Staley work is really something. Those guys maul defenders.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ngata usually plays end, Kemoeatu usually lines up at zero tech. Thus by your logic, we need a DE.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Anthony Davis, Iuapati and Staley work is really something. Those guys maul defenders.
I'm not a fan of Staley playing well after the whistle. All the fighting last night was a direct result of him not knowing when to shut it down and head back to the huddle.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Staley playing well after the whistle. All the fighting last night was a direct result of him not knowing when to shut it down and head back to the huddle.

Hey they were trying to send a message that we are not soft or intimidated by you. I didn't have a problem with it.

On another note it made me sick to see Flacco have his way with the niners secondary when we have arguably the best qb and recieving core in the game and struggled. Finley aint bad either smh. You saw two teams that understand how to be physical up front and execute the 3-4. I liked how the Ravens forced Kap to get rid of the ball by sending Ed Reed at him ..where was that at in Capers game plan for Woodson? You saw how having a great return man on kickoffs can chnage the entire game. I like Cobb but he's not the gamebreaker on special teams Jones is. I hope Ross is returning kicks next year. Man if anything i hope the Packers realize that they let a golden oppertunity slip right through their hands by being undisciplined. We coulda easily beat the Ravens in the SB. Dang shame.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I HATE THOSE GUYS, for a few reasons.
Number one, their WHOLE 5-man STARTING OFFENSIVE LINE missed a total of ZERO starts this whole season week 1-20. NONE. Zip.
That's bullschit compared to us. We also invested 2 first round picks into our OL, but both played on IR instead of the field.

Also, Alex Boone was a guy I Wanted in his draft and he lasted SOOOOO much longer than I felt he should have, coming outta Ohio State... dammit.

But it was he who chopped into Ngata's ACL and ended the All-Pro's game & season. Thank God it didn't cost them the Super Bowl. It almost did. He was a huge loss. Of course, we drafted a different Buckeye, AJ Hawk, instead of Ngata, but that's a moot point here.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't care if he played Middle linebacker nobody runs at Ngata with great success, and the guy has quickness to be an effective pass rusher to. I mentioned before Bj Raji was a poor mans Ngata and i'll stand by that comment. Raji is a guy who can be all pro at DT or DE but just doesn't have that it factor like Ngata. That's why i wouldn't be highly upset if he didn't get resigned and we used that money elsewhere.

Members online

Latest posts