the packers select....." " with the 16th overall pick??????

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok..... ive noticed the rumor chatter and draft talk has cooled down

significantly with the last few weeks of ranting on anything from Randy

Moss, to David Carr..... I think we all jus want the damn draft to come

already. anyways, to get to my point...... The Green and Gold will select

Marshawn if he is on the board at 16, its too hard to turn that down,

unless, (and this is a big unless) TT has a strong feeling about michael

Bush of Louisville. Im hearing that Bush is seriously close to being back to

100 percent and is expected to be at full go by the 4th week of the

preseason. Dont forget that Bush was a heisman contender to begin the

NCAA season. He scored 3 touchdowns and had 138 yards in the first half

of the first game of the season before suffering a broken leg in the second

quarter of the first game of the season. The guy is hard worker, and is

ready to prove he is what everyone thought he could be. Just remember

me saying Michael Bush is a possibility at 16. However, I feel like Lynch

will be pulled if available.

With the second round pick i FEEL the packers will adress the wide out

position with the second pick in the draft and pick Anthony Gonzalez

in the second round. He is the hardest working wide out of the bunch

although naturally less talented than the Bowe, Meachem, Ginn Jr., and

Johnson. He is the definition of a foot ball player. Reuniting with former

teamate A.J. Hawk will also work well.

I think in round three the Pack will adress the Safety position and their are

A number of possibilities with this pick, dont count out a small school player

a...la..... Nick Collins( who is going to have a breakout 07 season!!!!!)

I think a good pick here would be Kevin Payne, from Louisianna Monre. He

is going to be a stud for whomever picks him!!!!

Reaction score
So TE doesn't get addressed at ALL on day one?

TT has drafted based on need, he addresses positions that are the biggest need and then works onward with positions of lesser need.

Last year, the Packers had the following needs:
- A LB to fill out a group headed by Nick Barnett, an injured Poppinga, LB signed from the Browns, Roy Manning, Kurt Campbell (TT took Hawk first overall, and yet he took another LB on day one with Hodge)
- A WR to replace T-Murph and J-Walk (TT took Gregorious)
- O-line (TT took Colledge and Spitz on day one)

My point is that TT will draft the best player available at the biggest need positions for the Pack, and then look elsewhere.

This year, the Packers biggest need is at RB, TE, and I'd argue DE/CB. These are more pressing needs than the S or WR position.

- RB: Morency, Herron, Pope, Beach aren't gonna set the world on fire. If the Packers thought Morency was ready to step up, they wouldn't have sought to resign Green... but they were interested.

- TE: Bubba isn't gonna have a breakout year this year. Donald Lee was cut by the Dolphins because he had problems catching the ball and let's face it, he isn't the solution to our TE problems. Alcorn and Humphrey have the physical skill, but they haven't grabbed the bull by the horns and earned playing time. We desperately need a young TE who can step in right away #2 spot and even challenge for the #1 spot.

- DE: Jenkins is solid, and so is Kampman. After that, there isn't any depth. KGB is a one trick pony that can no longer do his only trick to a satisfactory level. Jason Hunter is fast, but raw. Montgomery isn't all that either. We desperately need someone that can spell Jenkins and Kampman. We talk about a DT rotation, but the Packers lack a DE rotation. There is no guy that can spell Kampman to keep him fresh for the later parts of the game.

You could also argue CB is a big need: Blackman hasn't done squat, Dendy wouldn't be a #3CB on a good team, and Jarret Bush has potential but hasn't done anything of note. Woodson and Harris are getting older...

Basically, I expect TT to adress RB/TE/DE/CB on day one because they are more pressing than WR or S.

Round 1:
- Greg Olsen

Round 2:
- Best RB left

Round 3:
- Best CB/DE left

Add another first day pick (round 3) if you think the Packers will trade back. Regardless, I'd be a bit worried if TT chose to address WR AND S on day 1 ahead of other more pressing issues.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: the packers select....." " with the 16th overall pick??

would it be too far to go out and have a look at Asante Samuel at CB

Also who won the heisman this year

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Round 1:

Marshawn Lynch

Round 2:

Brandon Merriweather

Round 3:

Akaika Alama-Francis

Round 4:

Josh Wilson

Round 5:

Laurent Robinson

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:twocents: Agree with allabout except #3 will probably be a S or WR. Aaron Rouse or Eric Weddle or Aundrae Allison.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all not many have Bush going any sooner than the middle of the 2nd round and I doubt TT is prepared to reach that far for a guy coming off a pretty serious injury that can't block.

Just an observation. But I will fall off my chair if we took him at #16.

I agree with most of All About Da Packers thoughts except I don't see the Pack going early at RB unless Lynch is still around and they REALLY like the guy a bunch.

Against conventional thinking I will go with:

RD 1: Leon Hall; He will help now with the multi-receiver sets and will be the guy to take one of the CB positions soon enough.

RD 2: Brian Leonard: A versitle two for one player that runs, blocks and can fill Hendersons void of a pass catching FB.

RD 3: Steve Smith; Hopefully he is still around because his name is so ordinary other teams will overlook him.

Sorry Charlie, No TE until one that hopefully can surprise later. Too weak of a group this year to jump in early.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:twocents: Only one TE worth diddly this draft and either get him early at #16 or pick one up off the street or at cut-down at end of training camp.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:twocents: Only one TE worth diddly this draft and either get him early at #16 or pick one up off the street or at cut-down at end of training camp.

This is where you do not want to force a pick because the need is there and this is exactly how teams end up taking a swing and miss. When we needed a CB a few years ago the Pack staff assigned those responsibilities convinced themselves Carroll was the guy.

If we didn't NEED a CB back then do you think they would have even looked at him? No.

So learning from past mistakes says they need to ask "would we even be looking at him if we didn't NEED a TE"? Only if they objectively grade him out as high as anybody else left do they take him.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:twocents: Olsen top ranked TE with speed comparable to the next listed WR. By the time GB picks he may be the best of what's left. I don't see TT taking a RB in 1st rd. and unless Meachem is still available the next best choice is apparently WR D. Bowe, FS "no brains" Nelson, CB Aaron Ross, strong possibility.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there are other TEs in the draft worth taking a look at also. I don't like a TE in the firs round anyway.

Reaction score
Wasn't Bubba picked by Sherman based on need? Chumra retired, and all of a sudden the Pack had a big need at TE, and so Sherman took Franks.

At the time, I heard it was a reach, but hard to argue that because for the first few years Bubba really helped us...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
Wasn't Bubba picked by Sherman based on need? Chumra retired, and all of a sudden the Pack had a big need at TE, and so Sherman took Franks.

At the time, I heard it was a reach, but hard to argue that because for the first few years Bubba really helped us...

Bubba was picked by Ron Wolf. Sherman was in Seattle when Bubba was picked. Ray Rhodes was our coach.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with some of the others. With the 16th selection in the 2007 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers select;

Greg Olsen.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegends locked post

Frankly, I like the draft choices, mostly. I believe Ginn lost popularity because of his injury in the big game. But that could happen to anyone. I keep remembering(to my chagrin) what Hester did for DaBears and wonder if Ginn could do as much for GB. He can learn how to run better routes. His speed can't be taught. We darned sure need some excitement in our return game. We wouldn't be starting deep in our own territory every time, that's for sure. JMHO.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a crazy rumor fueled by Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden's praise of Adrian Peterson: The Bucs could take the Oklahoma running back at No. 4 and then trade Cadillac Williams (Green Bay? Buffalo?) for a pick and a player.
-- Trenton Times
f
from SI.com truths and rumours - seems like an impossible situation to me!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

round 1 = WR Jarrett b/c Lynch and Olsen are already gone Lynch to the Bills & Olsen to the Panthers
round 2 = RB M. Bush
round 3 = TE Ben Patrick

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

round 1 = WR Jarrett b/c Lynch and Olsen are already gone Lynch to the Bills & Olsen to the Panthers
round 2 = RB M. Bush
round 3 = TE Ben Patrick

I don't think #1 will happen. Hope it doesn't anyways. Jarrett isn't even in the top 5 WR's anymore in most circles. If we DID take him at #16 it would be considered the biggest reach in the first round as most have him way down in round 1 if not early round 2.

Why would you not take Ginn, Meachem, or, Bowe first if your leaning towards WR's?

If Bush were still there at #47 you would have to think long and hard. The bad part is the guy won't block anybody. You run him out there and he gets Favre hurt he won't be around long for sure.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

dhpackr said:
round 2 = RB M. Bush
round 3 = TE Ben Patrick

I don't think #1 will happen. Hope it doesn't anyways. Jarrett isn't even in the top 5 WR's anymore in most circles. If we DID take him at #16 it would be considered the biggest reach in the first round as most have him way down in round 1 if not early round 2.

Why would you not take Ginn, Meachem, or, Bowe first if your leaning towards WR's?

If Bush were still there at #47 you would have to think long and hard. The bad part is the guy won't block anybody. You run him out there and he gets Favre hurt he won't be around long for sure.

Ginn is a small guy, and I wonder how healthy he can stay. Meachum has speed, but his hands are the weakest part of his game, and he doesn't want to run slants over the middle of the feild. So, to me , it doesn't matter on the guys 40 time, if he can't catch the ball, his speed is useless.
I like jarretts size and soft hands, no he is not a #1, and he is not a deep threat, but he is a monster in the red zone, and he can be a force in the west coast offences short controled passing game. Jarrett can be a steady #2 possession WR for many years to come, comparable to Cris Carter.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with some of the others. With the 16th selection in the 2007 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers select;

Greg Olsen.

to bad Olsen may already be gone by 16

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Olsen is picked within top 15 it will be a major reach, he isn't that good.

I don't like him at #16 either, not worth it, he's no Vernon Davis.

Members online

Latest posts