The Packer's Popularity

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From NFL Nation Blog

The Packers' popularity

March 24, 2009 10:39 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

DANA POINT, Calif. -- In a fortuitous bit of corporate synergy, the NFL and ESPN Sports Poll collaborated on a study to determine the nation's most popular individual pro sports franchises.

Owners and team executives viewed the results of the poll this week during their opening gathering at the St. Regis Hotel. NFL teams captured six of the top 10 spots in the poll, including the Black and Blue's own Green Bay Packers at No. 2.

By one measure, the poll means that in 2008, the Packers had the second-highest percentage of supporters among all U.S. pro sports franchises.

"We're a very recognizable brand and I think we still have a national following," Packers president/CEO Mark Murphy said. Here's the full list for 2008:

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Green Bay Packers
3. Pittsburgh Steelers
4. New England Patriots
5. New York Yankees
6. Los Angeles Lakers
7. Indianapolis Colts
8. Boston Red Sox
9. New York Giants
10. Atlanta Braves

I'm sure there will be some dissenters out there. By all means, discuss.

Good to see our Packers still have a national following :yes:

Let's work to put us above that Dallas Franchise :D

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does NOT matter that the media doesn't cover us the way they cover the redskins or the giants, still one of he most loved franchises. But I got to say, we're actually number one. I know A LOT of so-called cowboys fans that are only supporters if the team goes well. HOW MANY PACKERS FANS ARE NOT DIE HARD FANS? I don't know any.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Love the pack, through the good or bad. I'm surprised at the Yankee's standing tho

OP
OP
V

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not. Since the Strike, Baseball's popularity has gone steadily down. The Steroid scandals and primadonna players haven't necessarily helped either.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baseball is the only "sport" where a 40 year old in a bad shape can play. That being said, I'm surprised with the Yankees position. But if you think about it, sure it's interesting, 10 years ago that poll would be very different, football was like the 3rd sport of america, behind baseball and basketball. Not sure if 10 years, but not that long. And now, even other countries follow a sport that is only played here, or at least only played professionally...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think for a lot of people the Yankees are the team they love to hate. Like Duke is in college basketball.

Not surprised we're below the 'Boys, but surprised we're ahead of everyone else. It makes me smile. One of these years we should play the Cowboys and winner gets to officially call themselves "America's Team".

Malk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that makes it suspect is that it was conducted by the NFL & ESPN ... If it had been conducted by MLB & ESPN the findings may have been a bit different. Not that I'm claiming intellectual dishonesty by the pollsters, but, ... oh what the hell - I AM making that claim.

Regardless, nice to see us rate so high!

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
Baseball is the only "sport" where a 40 year old in a bad shape can play.

That could actually be a point in favor of baseball!
Anyway, I like baseball a lot!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eclipse612 said:
PackersRS said:
Baseball is the only "sport" where a 40 year old in a bad shape can play.

That could actually be a point in favor of baseball!
LOL! Prob. you're right... But I think it more as a pastime than a sport. After all, it's America's favorite pastime, not America's favorite sport! (Sorry, turning this thread into a baseball thread...)

GJ85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go Pack but sorry, I have to say woe how did my braves make it to 10 on the list? I would have never guessed that

OP
OP
V

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GJ85 said:
Go Pack but sorry, I have to say woe how did my braves make it to 10 on the list? I would have never guessed that

That's not surprising, Since going on TBS back in the 80s (or whenever) they've got a national audience. I used to watch them back when I cared about that game.

Members online

Latest posts