The Packers new salary cap #

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT gets the right FA's, they could be right up there in the top tier this year. Now.......if they can get Brett back for ONE more fling.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
If TT gets the right FA's, they could be right up there in the top tier this year. Now.......if they can get Brett back for ONE more fling.

My thoughts exactly. With the right mix of FA's to shore up the O-line and a LB & S position, GB could add Super Mario, a second round LB, and a 3rd round RB. Now, IMO, that would entice Brett Favre to come back . The PACK would be BACK.

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, at last, some breathing room! I wonder what the cap would look like right about now if Sherman was still GM. Probably still doing toilet paper commercials.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the extra cap space really stinks for the Pack.

Prior to the new cap raise, there was only a handle full of teams that would have had the $ to spend on FAs, approximately 5 or so teams.

Now with an estimated extra $10 million or more teams are in the mix, up to 10 more.

Oddly enough if there would have been no CBA agreement reached the Pack would have been sitting pretty for FA this year with very very little competition. Now the barn door is open.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reality of it is we actually have more than that depending on what BF decides to do. He has said he would be willing to restructure to help the team if he comes back, or, if he calls it quits it adds $7.6 mil to the kitty.

That's why for the life of me I don't understand whats going on. If he waits until the draft, but after FA, TT will not have had all the cards in his hands to deal with in negotiating with FA's out there.

With the situation being as it is BF is working against himself to a degree and can't really say all that much about what TT does or doesn't do in FA if he doesn't proclain his position.

If he IS going to rework his contract it would be nice to know that now. Lot's of good it will do after all the good FA are signed.

It may mean only $2 to $3mil in extra cap space if he renegotiates but that can be the difference from a "mid" to "upper" tier type player.

What would really be a disaster is if he waits until AFTER FA and then CALLS IT QUITS. Man, the moves we might have made with the extra cash but didn't could really smack the team in the face.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
Actually the extra cap space really stinks for the Pack.

Prior to the new cap raise, there was only a handle full of teams that would have had the $ to spend on FAs, approximately 5 or so teams.

Now with an estimated extra $10 million or more teams are in the mix, up to 10 more.

Oddly enough if there would have been no CBA agreement reached the Pack would have been sitting pretty for FA this year with very very little competition. Now the barn door is open.

You took the words right out of my mouth. This is not good news for the Packers. Guys that were going to be released will now be signed because of this higher cap.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depack,
So true it is but in the long run it is the best for the team and the league. The projected cap for us based on the site we have here was just readjusted to $33mil. so I don't feel too bad about it. Not many teams have one third of their cap available.

So even if other teams do have more to spend we can compete with them and actually go a little above and beyond if need be.

I sure didn't want to see us go into no cap years. We would get our butts kicked by the big money and big market teams who would pay whatever for top FA's as they became available.

It could have gotten unbalanced pretty quickly.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread. Maybe Brett holding out with his decision is a good thing. If TT does not know where he stands they cannot address the QB situation. This will allow then to focus on what we really need to spend the money on for the future of this team: The OL and DL. The **** pick in FA is always the QB due to the monies they command, yet with the same amount of cash for a FA QB we can put into 2-3 OL and/or DL guys.
I do agree that to see the cap go up to 109M this year is a bit disheartening. Not only will other teams become viable buyers, the players agents will ask for more of that pie. Some silly owners may drive the price farther through the roof going after any specific "must have" player.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cali,
The '06 cap is actually $102mil but your point is well made. Build a good solid team.
I think TT is a lot smarter than many give him credit for and am actually glad we have him at this time. He may make some moves that prompt the question "why".

But things are certainly setting up for some serious changes and hopefully the questions will be answered on the field next year.

I have a feeling there are a lot of owners out there that wishes he were on their team. He's highly regarded for his grasp of where everything stands and how to manuever around.

I will be surprised if he doesn't put us in a good position by the time the draft is completed and that's not saying he won't make moves in FA. He's in a positon to do a lot of things and my guess is he's on go.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Yup hawk......short term it would have looked good, but long term could have killed the team.

Right-o .... and that means forever, guys - you could be hanging up yer cheeseheads f-o-r-e-v-e-r.... how's that sound to ya?

I could care less about the short term..

How many here would rather they turn out the lights at Lambeau, for good?

Let's keep our focus where it should be... eh?

Members online

Latest posts